Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth has enough water to drown continents

seeder

What REALLY lies beneath us: New maps reveal Earth has enough groundwater to drown the continents in 590 FEET of liquid - but we can only use 6% of it

Inventory reveals how much water is hidden beneath our feet globally

There is enough groundwater to cover the land in 590 feet of liquid

Just six per cent of this, however, is recycled in around 50 years

The rest is stagnant in reservoirs deep underground that rarely replenish

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3320778/Earth-groundwater-drown-continents-590-FEET-liquid-maps-reveal-use-6-it.html#ixzz3rgX0RAE4

• Like 1

Well this news would have been a lot more useful when writing, pitching, filming, distributing and marketing 1995s Waterworld.

• Like 2

So Bernie no such thing as CC plenty of water for everyone who isnt a greedy warlord.

So you are stating that 5.42 cubic miles of water would "flood the entire world with over 590m of liquid" ??? I see you must have graduated from a public school with that math wizardry you display.

I'd worry about your own reading comprehension. Particularly feet/meters and land/world.

• Like 2

The total volume of groundwater hidden underground - 5.42 cubic miles (22.6 cubic km) - dwarfs all other water sources on the planet apart from the oceans themselves.

I think maybe there is a "billion" missing in there somewhere. 5 cubic miles isn't all that much.

The surface fresh water alone is 22,000+ cubic miles. And the oceans are some 300,000,000+ cubic miles.

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/gallery/global-water-volume.html

If 6% is equal to about 320 million, then that means 100% is 5.3 billion cubic miles. :tu:

• Like 1

This should aid to caution against attempts to tap into the deep groundwater stores to use in industry and agriculture.

These ancient water reserves are often extremely salty - far saltier than the oceans - and contain toxic elements like arsenic and uranium.

Dr Tom Gleeson, a hydrogeologist at the University of Victoria in British Columia, Canada, who led the study, said it takes so long for this older groundwater to be replenished it should be considered as non-renewable.

• Like 1

All we need is an effcient way of separating individual elements out of water and we could have a new mining industry which dumps pure H2O into our waterways

All we need is an effcient way of separating individual elements out of water and we could have a new mining industry which dumps pure H2O into our waterways

Well we would also have to drill down pretty far -- several thousand times as far as the deepest drilling yet.

I think maybe there is a "billion" missing in there somewhere. 5 cubic miles isn't all that much.

I think they meant million not billion. ;)

Unfortunately, we further dwindle any fresh water by pumping it deep underground by fracking. A process which adds more toxins to the water.

• Like 2

Water, water every where, but not a drop to drink.

• Like 1

Yeah, desalination seems to be the only thing that makes long term sense if our population is going to continue to grow at this pace. But why not just place those plants on the oceans? Nearly half of the world's population lives within 100 miles of an ocean, no drilling necessary.

• Like 2

I think they meant million not billion. ;)

Nope. I did the math. It is Billion.

Nope. I did the math. It is Billion.

Are you sure?

The article says "The total volume of groundwater hidden underground dwarfs all other water sources on the planet apart from the oceans themselves."

if the Oceans contain 310 million cubic miles of water, then according to the article the amount of ground water should be less than 310 million cubic miles.

Ancient ground water - 5.3 million cubic miles

Modern ground water - 84,000 cubic miles

Soil water - 3,840 cubic miles

Rivers, lakes, wetlands - 24,000 cubic miles

Total - 5.4 million cubic miles

There is some fuzzy wording going on in this article,but the article does say "enough groundwater to drown the continents" not the "earth"...

But i take it DC took that into consideration and i dont really feel like doing math at the moment so meh :lol:

• Like 1

Apparently, if we could extract all the gold suspended in Earths ocean water every person on the planet would have 9 pounds to turn into coins and swim in.

There is some fuzzy wording going on in this article,but the article does say "enough groundwater to drown the continents" not the "earth"...

But i take it DC took that into consideration and i dont really feel like doing math at the moment so meh :lol:

I think he misread the 6% part.

• Like 1

Yeah, desalination seems to be the only thing that makes long term sense if our population is going to continue to grow at this pace. But why not just place those plants on the oceans? Nearly half of the world's population lives within 100 miles of an ocean, no drilling necessary.

How many time do I have to repeat: the population growth has slowed sharply and will end by mid century. That is yesterday's doomsday.

I think he misread the 6% part.

The groundwater involved is way too deep to ever be of use, at least as I understand it -- something like a thousand times deeper than the deepest we've ever drilled.
  • Like 1

The groundwater involved is way too deep to ever be of use, at least as I understand it -- something like a thousand times deeper than the deepest we've ever drilled.

In addition to that, as stated in the article, it is also full of salts and other nasty materials. In that case it would be much cheaper and easier to desalinate seawater. Thankfully that is becomming steadily cheaper as new and improved methods are discovered.

This is basically an interesting new scientific discovery, but not something that is likely to have any immediate benefits for us.

Desalination, conservation and recycling is the way to go in water management.

• Like 1

How many time do I have to repeat: the population growth has slowed sharply and will end by mid century. That is yesterday's doomsday.

I would like you to repeat it 6 more times please.

And a LOT of people disagree with you mr. all-knowing: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/09/140918-population-global-united-nations-2100-boom-africa/

Are you sure?

The article says "The total volume of groundwater hidden underground dwarfs all other water sources on the planet apart from the oceans themselves."

if the Oceans contain 310 million cubic miles of water, then according to the article the amount of ground water should be less than 310 million cubic miles.

Ancient ground water - 5.3 million cubic miles

Modern ground water - 84,000 cubic miles

Soil water - 3,840 cubic miles

Rivers, lakes, wetlands - 24,000 cubic miles

Total - 5.4 million cubic miles

Oh yeah, I guess you are right. I misread the line where it says, "... except the oceans themselves..."

Millions it is. :tu: :tu: :nw:

• Like 2

I would like you to repeat it 6 more times please.

And a LOT of people disagree with you mr. all-knowing: http://news.national...00-boom-africa/

Africa is growing out of bounds, but it will turn. I resent the "all knowing" put-down. Are you interested in discussion or just insulting people?