Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UN Wants to Censor the Internet

Dark_Grey

Oh...and as a mod on another forum, I witnessed someone post their own home number so they could meet up with a woman they disagreed with, politically. The man said he wanted to rip her head off and then do something I'm probably not allowed to mention here to her corpse. 

Was he serious? I don't have any idea. He was serious enough to post his home number. 

6 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh...and as a mod on another forum, I witnessed someone post their own home number so they could meet up with a woman they disagreed with, politically. The man said he wanted to rip her head off and then do something I'm probably not allowed to mention here to her corpse. 

Was he serious? I don't have any idea. He was serious enough to post his home number. 

He probably assumed she would be in to it, hence the digits he posted.

17 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

He probably assumed she would be in to it, hence the digits he posted.

She was just arguing politics, and was completely floored that he would consider violence over it. 

It's one thing to argue over some political view. It's another to say that you want to meet up so that you can kill that person and then abuse their corpse...because they have different political view than you. 

Edited by ChaosRose

If this succeeds look for a slow creeping ban on any type of conservative thought. 

I say, if your ideas cannot stand the heat of the free market, then get out of the kitchen. I see plenty on the internet that offends me, but I don't go whining to the government about it. Suck it up, buttercup. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sundew said:

If this succeeds look for a slow creeping ban on any type of conservative thought. 

I say, if your ideas cannot stand the heat of the free market, then get out of the kitchen. I see plenty on the internet that offends me, but I don't go whining to the government about it. Suck it up, buttercup. 

This isn't about the free market. This is about people threatening your life over things you say on the internet. And yes, that could be over your conservative ideas, or my liberal ideas. Any ideas, really. 

It's about them somehow hacking to find out where you live and doxing that info so that they and anyone else who hates you for things you said can show up there and hurt you.

Just now, ChaosRose said:

This isn't about the free market. This is about people threatening your life over things you say on the internet. And yes, that could be over your conservative ideas, or my liberal ideas. Any ideas, really. 

It's about them somehow hacking to find out where you live and doxing that info so that they and anyone else who hates you for things you said can show up there and hurt you.

Ive been threatened on this very forum. It was vague to be sure so the mods didnt see it but when discussing a hot button issue (race and police if I recall) out of the blue and very off topic someone id never seen before quoted me and said (again very off topic) something along of the lines of " you think youre safe but people can find out who you are and where you live". Not completely accurate but you get the gist. It was enough to make me very uncomfortable for a day or two. 

That doesnt mean its worth the risk of enacting legislation of any sort which would allow for censorship. Incrementalization, Its the old frog argument:

How do you boil a frog? You put him in cold water and slowly turn up the temperature so he doesnt know hes being cooked. Once you enact censorship for our protection it will grow and spread to areas of the internet not yet imagined.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Ive been threatened on this very forum. It was vague to be sure so the mods didnt see it but when discussing a hot button issue (race and police if I recall) out of the blue and very off topic someone id never seen before quoted me and said (again very off topic) something along of the lines of " you think youre safe but people can find out who you are and where you live". Not completely accurate but you get the gist. It was enough to make me very uncomfortable for a day or two. 

That doesnt mean its worth the risk of enacting legislation of any sort which would allow for censorship. Incrementalization, Its the old frog argument:

How do you boil a frog? You put him in cold water and slowly turn up the temperature so he doesnt know hes being cooked. Once you enact censorship for our protection it will grow and spread to areas of the internet not yet imagined.

It's not really about censorship if all you're "censoring" is threatening someone's life (which is already supposed to be illegal). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Ah yes. Like they did with the Dentist that shot Cecil the Lion. They showed up at his house, his practice...

As long as they are using their powers for good and not harassing people needlessly, it's all tang. Feelings > truth, justice, right to trial.

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

It's not really about censorship if all you're "censoring" is threatening someone's life (which is already supposed to be illegal). 

From the article: 

Sanctions – Develop and uphold laws, regulations and governance mechanisms to deter perpetrators from committing these acts.

Once the mechanisms are in place it will be hard to contain them to just  this one subject. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

From the article: 

Sanctions – Develop and uphold laws, regulations and governance mechanisms to deter perpetrators from committing these acts.

Once the mechanisms are in place it will be hard to contain them to just  this one subject. 

Prior to there being no anti-stalking laws, people were able to get away with it. Police had to tell folks that they couldn't do anything until some actual violence had occurred, in which case for many women, it was already too late. 

If we can make anti-stalking laws, we can apply them to the internet.

Cyberstalking is the use of computers or other electronic technology to facilitate stalking. In Davis (2001), Lucks identified a separate category of stalkers who instead of a terrestrial means, prefer to perpetrate crimes against their targeted victims through electronic and online means.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiz3qKs4pHOAhUCTSYKHb_DAT4QFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FStalking&usg=AFQjCNEf8HRAqtfPz5URvFYZjn5Iht30TA&bvm=bv.128153897,d.eWE

Edited by ChaosRose

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Prior to there being no anti-stalking laws, people were able to get away with it. Police had to tell folks that they couldn't do anything until some actual violence had occurred, in which case for many women, it was already too late. 

If we can make anti-stalking laws, we can apply them to the internet.

Im not saying there shouldnt be an effort. Im simply saying that whatever actions taken in behalf of that effort must be weighed against their long term potential for misuse. 

9 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Ah yes. Like they did with the Dentist that shot Cecil the Lion. They showed up at his house, his practice...

As long as they are using their powers for good and not harassing people needlessly, it's all tang. Feelings > truth, justice, right to trial.

I don't agree that it's a power for good. It's still harassment. 

The press is censored everywhere in various ways.  They get into trouble is that slander someone maliciously, if they don't correct harmful errors, if they encourage violence, and in many countries for many other reasons.

As I see it the internet can be interpreted as being a form of "the press" and therefore treated similarly.  

9 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Incidentally, I was threatened in an online forum once by someone from the Order of Nine Angles, for disagreeing with his ideology. I didn't really take it seriously, but I certainly would have if he doxed me and/or him and his buddies started showing up at my home or work. 

They can only see what you choose to make available on the internet to the prying eye.

That is the problem with the claims of stalking and threats, it's mostly done on social media where people voluntarily choose to share informations about themselves and their whereabouts. We don't need more censorship but more education on how to handle social media accounts and privacy settings. Really, when you are more careful these kinds of things usually go away. Don't throw meat to the beasts, as they say.

Edited by TruthSeeker_
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, TruthSeeker_ said:

They can only see what you choose to make available on the internet to the prying eye.

That is the problem with the claims of stalking and threats, it's mostly done on social media where people voluntarily choose to share informations about themselves and their whereabouts. We don't need more censorship but more education on how to handle social media accounts and privacy settings. Really, when you are more careful these kinds of things usually go away. Don't throw meat to the beasts, as they say.

Yes I think people who voluntarily share accurate information about themselves are being foolish, and web services that demand such information are doing serious wrong (i.e., Facebook).  I avoid such places and if everyone would they would go away.  It may be that laws will be needed to insist web sites not insist on accurate information.

At the same time, if someone ends up the victim of fraud or threats or other criminality, regardless of what makes it possible, we already have laws to deal with such behavior.  People just need to report it to the authorities.