Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vanished Object

Aftermath

I usually do not post anything particularly original, as nothing out of the ordinary ever happens to me. But this event that occurred in my home is very strange and as each day passes it gets even stranger. Can an object just vanish?

So two of my boys (9 and 5) were playing a game in the foyer of our house where they merely throw a stuffed Angry Bird to each other to score points. My youngest threw the Angry Bird a little too high and my 9-year-old had to reach up for it. He didn’t catch it, it glanced off the tips of his fingers. He subsequently lost his balance and fell down. My youngest son turned his back once he let the Angry Bird go and didn’t see what happened.

Here’s where it gets interesting, jacked-up so to speak, a cavalcade of weird: the stuffed Angry Bird is gone. It disappeared… vanished. We cannot find it anywhere, it’s been two weeks. It should have been, at the most, a couple of feet away from my oldest boy. Especially after tipping it with his fingers, the stuffed bird should have lost some velocity and landed just in the vicinity of body on the floor. I personally have looked everywhere in the house, literally everywhere and in everything. We have a maid, I thought she would have found it… nope. I looked under everything, in everything, and on top of everything in my home. Everyone in the house has looked too. The more I think about it, the stranger it gets – because they were in the foyer… it’s wide open with nothing around. We looked in the rooms off the foyer in case it bounced in… nothing. I even looked in the garage.

My three boys didn’t hide it either. I offered a reward of a whole 1lb bag of M&M’s to the person who found it; all three tore up the place trying to look for it (it was funny to watch). If one of them hid the Angry Bird or found it then (or later), they would have turned it in for the booty. Still nothing.

Although I don’t believe the stuffed Angry Bird vanished into another dimension, could it have? Has anyone had this happen to them? Legitimately… something was there and a moment later, poof – gone... ya'know?

Hum. I am at a loss.

• Like 4

How strange! You dont have a dog or a cat that may have took off with it outside??

I regularly have issues with racoons coming through the cat flap and creating all sorts of hijinks

• Like 1

How strange! You dont have a dog or a cat that may have took off with it outside??

I regularly have issues with racoons coming through the cat flap and creating all sorts of hijinks

No pets of any variety. Crazy about those raccoon though... that would freak me out.

No pets of any variety. Crazy about those raccoon though... that would freak me out.

Its a curious case you have!

• Like 1

Interesting and strange! I had a couple of similar incidents happen in the past. What may shock you that a few weeks later the Angry Bird may get found somewhere in the house, where you had looked already!

• Like 5

Yes, it happened to my family quite often. Some claim it was a ghost, others say it's a hobgoblin or boggart. Actually just recently my soda had disappeared from right next to me. It didn't show up until the next afternoon. No way I was drinking that again.

Have you tried asking for it back? As silly as it may seem, I bet it will appear soon after.

• Like 2

Any furniture in your foyer? A side board perhaps, hat stand, bin or a umbrella stand?

If there are coats hanging up, could it be snarled up in them? Similar thing happened to me, throwing a ball inside the house and it bounced into the under stairs cupboard and disappeared, turned up a month later in a coat pocket.

• Like 2

Years ago I had a gamecube game called Pokemon Colosseum. One day I sat it on top of my gamecube. It fell behind it. As I reached for it I noticed it wasnt there. I lifted my gamecube up and the game was no where to be found, and to be honest, when it fell behind it, It made no sound on my tile flooring.

This game was never found, Even after we replaced the flooring for carpets. Its been 7 years and It still baffles me.

Edited by VerdeICe
  • Like 4

This is definitely a message from the spirit world! When they have something important to communicate to humanity, they usually choose to "channel" that communication through an ordinary family, and to make it plain what they mean, they choose to hide things like keys, etc.! Something spooky will happen soon- like you will find the Angry Bird! Now that would really be paranormal!

This is definitely a message from the spirit world! When they have something important to communicate to humanity, they usually choose to "channel" that communication through an ordinary family, and to make it plain what they mean, they choose to hide things like keys, etc.! Something spooky will happen soon- like you will find the Angry Bird! Now that would really be paranormal!

Wow, just wow.

• Like 1

Yes, it happened to my family quite often. Some claim it was a ghost, others say it's a hobgoblin or boggart. Actually just recently my soda had disappeared from right next to me. It didn't show up until the next afternoon. No way I was drinking that again.

Have you tried asking for it back? As silly as it may seem, I bet it will appear soon after.

Our house is new construction so I don't think it was ghost(s), but... tonight I will ask for it back.

My mother has a close friend who lived in a city we often traveled and still go to. Anyhow, since before I was even born, they've been in the practice of swapping spare keys and staying in each other's homes when traveling, or just going to visit each other. Whichever.

As a child, no matter where this woman lived, I always had frustrating experiences that to this day have no explanation, any time I was in her residence. I never saw them as paranormal as a child, but one of the most common things to happen was my stuffed toys going missing. The last and most memorable... I had just got a brand new one at a museum/aquarium once, proudly set it on the night stand at her place before we all went to bed, and the next day I woke up and it was gone. The place got turned upside down, nobody ever found it. No other kids, pets, strong drafts lol... No good reason for it. That was the last one, and the point at which I was old enough to realize this was a pattern. This was the last time I brought anything I treasured with me on trips during which we used her home or apartment. But things escalated into much stranger events as I grew older, which I won't get into now.

Basically something attaches to whatever place she resides in I guess.

Many times it happened when she was not there with us. Many times she stayed with us and I had no experiences. But literally every single time I've stayed in specifically her residence regardless of where she's moved to next, I've either lost something permanently (after doing this at least once per year, usually more, throughout childhood and then a few times through my teens and 20s) or had some disturbing inexplicable experience of another sort. Not a single exception I can recall.

Anyhow. Most of that is besides the point. Why stuffed toys? Seems like an odd and silly target for the "other side"... That I would love to know...

• Like 2

Any furniture in your foyer? A side board perhaps, hat stand, bin or a umbrella stand?

If there are coats hanging up, could it be snarled up in them? Similar thing happened to me, throwing a ball inside the house and it bounced into the under stairs cupboard and disappeared, turned up a month later in a coat pocket.

No furniture or umbrella stand. It's completely empty except for a rolled up rug that was placed there, rolled up, after we moved in (we haven't unrolled it). I checked behind it and on top of it... nothing. The Angry Bird is stuffed so it doesn't bounce, that's why this is so strange to me - it's should be right there.

• Like 1

Years ago I had a gamecube game called Pokemon Colosseum. One day I sat it on top of my gamecube. It fell behind it. As I reached for it I noticed it wasnt there. I lifted my gamecube up and the game was no where to be found, and to be honest, when it fell behind it, It made no sound on my tile flooring.

This game was never found, Even after we replaced the flooring for carpets. Its been 7 years and It still baffles me.

Dude - that's crazy. What do you make of this? As weird and strange and practically impossible as it sounds, do you think these things "fall" into another dimension? I know that is very unlikely, but what else could be the cause?

• Like 1

Thanks Daffy. That (^) is actually an very interesting notion. I wonder if this does follow a person around. We have had similar situations happen to us in our other homes, but until recently we found everything (the two exceptions are this Angry Bird and my son's purple t-shirt). Since we found everything else, I merely chalked it up to "we misplaced" the item. The purple t-shirt we thought we would eventually find when we packed up to move into the home we're in now - but we never found it. I don't think he ever actually wore the t-shirt... we knew it was missing because it was a special shirt where when he wore it to a BBQ place he got a free ice cream there. We looked for it when we were going one evening... just vanished as well. :huh:

My mother has a close friend who lived in a city we often traveled and still go to. Anyhow, since before I was even born, they've been in the practice of swapping spare keys and staying in each other's homes when traveling, or just going to visit each other. Whichever.

As a child, no matter where this woman lived, I always had frustrating experiences that to this day have no explanation, any time I was in her residence. I never saw them as paranormal as a child, but one of the most common things to happen was my stuffed toys going missing. The last and most memorable... I had just got a brand new one at a museum/aquarium once, proudly set it on the night stand at her place before we all went to bed, and the next day I woke up and it was gone. The place got turned upside down, nobody ever found it. No other kids, pets, strong drafts lol... No good reason for it. That was the last one, and the point at which I was old enough to realize this was a pattern. This was the last time I brought anything I treasured with me on trips during which we used her home or apartment. But things escalated into much stranger events as I grew older, which I won't get into now.

Many times it happened when she was not there with us. Many times she stayed with us and I had no experiences. But literally every single time I've stayed in specifically her residence regardless of where she's moved to next, I've either lost something permanently (after doing this at least once per year, usually more, throughout childhood and then a few times through my teens and 20s) or had some disturbing inexplicable experience of another sort. Not a single exception I can recall.

Anyhow. Most of that is besides the point. Why stuffed toys? Seems like an odd and silly target for the "other side"... That I would love to know...

Sorry for interruption... Id like to hear more about this....start a thread :)

• Like 1

Was a separate thread started? I'm curious as well, or just hijack this one... don't mind.

• Like 1

I understand this vanishing object effect, it has happened to me many times.

Just yesterday I was on the secondary phone which cannot be pinged from the primary base, I grabbed a piece of scratch paper to jot down a number for a friend, then the call ended.

A few minutes later I noticed the phone wasn't sitting in its charging base. I couldn't see it laying around where I had taken the call. I started expanding my search out ward from there, checking every where it could logically be, expecting I simply walked away with it then absently set it down somewhere.

After looking at every surface in the house it could possibly have been set down upon I then had to admit I must have really had a brain fart, put it down in an impossible spot - cupboards, drawers, under and around furniture, everywhere, but no luck.

My experience with these kinds of vanishings was telling me to just forget it. Let it go, wait it out and when I least it expect the item will appear just as suddenly as it had disappeared.

Sometime later, the person I had taken the message for arrived. I picked up the scratch paper I had scribbled the number on and there it was. It had been hidden under the paper the whole time. Literally the one place I had missed checking.

Moral of my tale, despite thinking you have looked everywhere it could possible be, the stuffie is there in the one spot everyone keeps over looking.

• Like 2

Was a separate thread started? I'm curious as well, or just hijack this one... don't mind.

No.... Lol. Sorry....

Not yet anyway. I don't really have questions about it or feel anyone will have any answers really, I'd be starting the thread just for the sake of storytelling I guess. But mainly I'm not sure I want to go into the real significant details of this subject on a public forum seeing as I hate being identified online and the few people IRL that I've told about these experiences in detail would be the same sorts likely to dig up a site like this and join, just makes me really nervous. Not sure why but it just does. You could PM me questions about if if you like?

Something else I always thought was interesting, and don't mind mentioning here as I don't think I've mentioned this aspect elsewhere, was that while this woman never once made any claims of anything paranormal herself (so far) she was, has been, is still plagued by a long list of mystery illnesses and awful health-related misfortunes all throughout this time... One mystery illness gets diagnosed finally, then vanishes and its onto the next set of bizarre symptoms, some of which I would feel physically myself while in her residence (again, with or without her there, but never when she visited in my home) ...only to be perfectly fine literally as soon as I left the place. And it was often horrid. I don't know why it's never seemed to affect anyone else in my family. But it's not something easily forgotten, I mean it was significant. Anyway. I'm totally hijacking...didn't mean to carry on so long.

But...As far as lost objects go, that's how all of this started and what was the "thing" to happen for a long time and in the beginning so god forbid it escalates into anything like this for someone else, it's pretty weird and she has had major portions of her life degraded now, due to it, assuming it's all related... Not that I would know what the bloody heck to do about it.

Edited by Daffy123
  • Like 2

I had a strange disappearance and re-appearance in my small retail shop some years ago. I had an electronic debit/credit card terminal. When you get one of these you get a manual back-up system in case of a problem with the telephone line or a power cut. Part of this system was a retailer card which was exactly the same size as a credit/debit card. I kept mine on a shelf in my office, above a table, and I was the only person who used that room. I never needed to use the card but it was always there until one day I noticed it was missing. It was a very small room so it should have been easy to find if it had somehow fallen off the shelf but it was nowhere to be seen. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find it and the only thing under the shelf was the table and then the floor.

Around six months later I came into work one morning and there, on the table in full view, was my card. I don't know where it came from, it certainly wasn't there when I locked up the previous day and I was last out and first in. If it hadn't "come back" then I would have simply thought it was lost, maybe accidentally knocked off the shelf and swept up and put in the rubbish bin when tidying up. The fact is it returned, I don't know how and I don't know why and I don't how or why it disappeared in the first place but that's what happened.

• Like 2

I had a strange disappearance and re-appearance in my small retail shop some years ago. I had an electronic debit/credit card terminal. When you get one of these you get a manual back-up system in case of a problem with the telephone line or a power cut. Part of this system was a retailer card which was exactly the same size as a credit/debit card. I kept mine on a shelf in my office, above a table, and I was the only person who used that room. I never needed to use the card but it was always there until one day I noticed it was missing. It was a very small room so it should have been easy to find if it had somehow fallen off the shelf but it was nowhere to be seen. I looked everywhere but I couldn't find it and the only thing under the shelf was the table and then the floor.

Around six months later I came into work one morning and there, on the table in full view, was my card. I don't know where it came from, it certainly wasn't there when I locked up the previous day and I was last out and first in. If it hadn't "come back" then I would have simply thought it was lost, maybe accidentally knocked off the shelf and swept up and put in the rubbish bin when tidying up. The fact is it returned, I don't know how and I don't know why and I don't how or why it disappeared in the first place but that's what happened.

Fascinating.

This stuff is crazy stuff and thanks for sharing. I am baffled by all of this.

So I have an update.

This morning I found the Angry Bird! ****g unbelievable... I FOUND IT laying in the middle of the floor of our den (which is just off the foyer), in the open. My three boys weren't up yet (I woke everyone up with my screaming!) and at breakfast no one claimed to have put it there (so no one gets the M&Ms).

Now, honestly I cannot say if it was there last night or not. The last time I was in that room was around 9 PM and it wasn't there. I know for a fact it wasn't there as I would have stepped on it. The boys were fast asleep in their beds upstairs. So sometime between 9 PM (give or take a few minutes) and 5:30 AM it appeared. We (i.e., me, my wife, and three boys) are freaking out.

Perhaps someone was sleep walking, found it, and then placed it there? I have a history of sleep walking, so does my youngest son. I don't think so but I cannot rule that out. Perhaps one of the boys were hiding it all along and placed it there sometime during the night... although I think they would have wanted the M&Ms... but may be playing a trick on the family was a better reward? Although I don't think that happened, I cannot rule that out either. If that is the case, now what disturbs me more is that at least one of them is a very good liar!

Bottom line - just a cavalcade of weirdness and I have no real explanation.

• Like 4

It must have been stuck to the ceiling! Fibers on the stuffie snagged some imperfection on the ceiling.

Everyone forgot to look up there for it because it sticking there isn't something our minds will think is an option.

Amazing.

• Like 5

So I have an update.

This morning I found the Angry Bird! ****g unbelievable... I FOUND IT laying in the middle of the floor of our den (which is just off the foyer), in the open. My three boys weren't up yet (I woke everyone up with my screaming!) and at breakfast no one claimed to have put it there (so no one gets the M&Ms).

Now, honestly I cannot say if it was there last night or not. The last time I was in that room was around 9 PM and it wasn't there. I know for a fact it wasn't there as I would have stepped on it. The boys were fast asleep in their beds upstairs. So sometime between 9 PM (give or take a few minutes) and 5:30 AM it appeared. We (i.e., me, my wife, and three boys) are freaking out.

Perhaps someone was sleep walking, found it, and then placed it there? I have a history of sleep walking, so does my youngest son. I don't think so but I cannot rule that out. Perhaps one of the boys were hiding it all along and placed it there sometime during the night... although I think they would have wanted the M&Ms... but may be playing a trick on the family was a better reward? Although I don't think that happened, I cannot rule that out either. If that is the case, now what disturbs me more is that at least one of them is a very good liar!

Bottom line - just a cavalcade of weirdness and I have no real explanation.

A true mystery

Is there a vent or open space it could have fallen thru into the den after it was being thrown around? I can't picture layout of your house at all from much that you've said, maybe it's not even possible...but thought it might be worth asking.