Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Couple have dead dog cloned to create puppies

Still Waters

A couple have become the first in Britain to have their dead dog cloned and are due to collect their newborn puppies from South Korea on Boxing Day.

Laura Jacques and her partner, Richard Remde, from Yorkshire, were devastated when boxer Dylan died of a heart attack in June, aged eight, after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour.

But after learning that South Korean biotech firm Sooam had begun cloning dead dogs for £67,000 they decided to genetically engineer a copy.

http://www.telegraph...te-puppies.html

• Like 1

Updated -

British couple witness birth of the first of two new puppies in South Korea as result of their dead pet being cloned in groundbreaking procedure.

Video:

http://www.telegraph...oned-puppy.html

• Like 1

The cloned dog will simply be a twin of their deceased pet. In other words, it will physically look just like him but it will not have the same personality...it won't be the *same* dog. But, to these rich folks perhaps this reality won't matter?

IMO, it would have been better to just get another puppy and accept the circle of life.

• Like 1

I would donate to a crowdfunding effort to have Bob Dylan cloned.

Then you'd get Bob Dylan's twin, not another Dylan. The creative spark that's the Bob Dylan we know isn't likely to be passed on to his clone/twin. Think about this for a minute, what makes Dylan great is the totality of his life experience...when he was born, what he experienced, who his parents, family and friends were, how the world he grew up in *made* him into 'Bob Dylan'. The clone/twin will not have the same experiences/personality as the original Bob Dylan...and most likely not the same musical talent.

No, we are all original and just cloning a twin can not capture our originality.

• Like 3

The cloned dog will simply be a twin of their deceased pet. In other words, it will physically look just like him but it will not have the same personality...it won't be the *same* dog. But, to these rich folks perhaps this reality won't matter?

IMO, it would have been better to just get another puppy and accept the circle of life.

My thought was the same with the variant that they should have donated that fortune that they spent to "no kill" dog shelters

• Like 1

:no: So many great dogs that need homes that end up being put down. Such a waste.

Since the dogs are twins of the dog that died of brain cancer I would think these dogs will have the same fate. Being they are clones it may even happen sooner than it did with the original dog. It just goes to show having a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean having any brains.

Edited by GreenmansGod
  • Like 3

I just think what an odd thing to do, Their dogs gone and having him cloned isn't going to bring him back. Money would have been better spent on getting a new pup, Maybe a rescue one, Plenty of those needing new homes and a loving family. Guess some people just have more money than sense.

Edited by Cat_From_Hell
  • Like 1

It will be awkward when the new dog doesn't do the same things the old dog did. It will be even more awkward if the owners try to force the old dog's mannerisms on the new one lol like what if the old dog absolutely loved playing fetch but the new one has 0 interest in it? Will the owners have regrets about spending 6 figures on this? At what point does it click in just how hopeless this endeavor was? On the other hand, they may not care. They may be going in to this knowing full well it will be "the same but different"

I've had many animals that I would have loved to have kept forever or even had their offspring, but with so many wonderful animals being killed every day in every part of this planet how can I be that selfish?

So, I think what they did was very selfish and they just killed two other dogs that they very well could have adopted.

Sad. :(

Edited by MJNYC

:no: So many great dogs that need homes that end up being put down. Such a waste.

Since the dogs are twins of the dog that died of brain cancer I would think these dogs will have the same fate. Being they are clones it may even happen sooner than it did with the original dog. It just goes to show having a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean having any brains.

You bring-up a good point.

I could easily imagine that a cloned creature might genetically possess whatever disease "vulnerability" as the host from which it was cloned.

As well as whatever positive genetic traits, of course.

Don't have enough time to read all of the comments so forgive me if I'm reposting this. Aren't some tumors or the diseases that cause tumors to form hereditary?

• Like 1

I might chip in to clone the Thylacine, if that ever becomes truly possible, or the Mammoth, or a Saber Toothed Cat, but a dog? No thanks, we have plenty of dogs and there is not guarantee your cloned animal will have a normal life span, no heath problems or the same personality as the original.

• 3 weeks later...

My dog escaped around new year day, maybe day before, just when this news was released. He managed to break the chains ( which happened some 3 times so far ) in front of house and outside it was too foggy, visibility about 3 meters in every direction so i could not find him. He is always in house, house dog but sometimes i let him stay outside in garden, not anymore tho.

I was feeling worse about loosing him than i felt in much worse life situations i had before, i just love my dog so much :blush:

So, after hours of walking and yelling his name, i realized that i failed him and have gone home. My parents used wrong chains but... I can't be rude to them, just silently grieve. Right after i came home i took one cup of coffee, gone to computer room to read news and calm down a bit. First news which came up was about this dog cloning thingy...

As i was in terrible mood, having lost my dear friend just few hours earlier... I gave this a lot of thoughts... First i was like '' oh where will i find 100k $ now '' but then, i realized that Don ( my dog ) is unique and having a clone would not replace him but only bring memories and hurt me more with time because it ain't Don, it's his bro or sister in best case. You can't treat member of family like that, if hes gone then just make sure memory of him will be respected...

My thinking was interrupted by some dog barks outside... Oh, if i will hear any dog barking it will remind me of Don and with so many homeless dogs it will be 5 minutes between 'reminders'. Looking at the clock it was 5 in the morning already, my coffee half finished and i was wondering did i just slept or time passed without me even care for anything?

So i go out to light up cigarette on '' fresh fog air '' :) as pollution is crazy in my city this days... And right near entrance i have seen a shape on the floor, ground is wet all around but that one place is not, my hearth started beating wildly, I've walked for one more hour thinking '' he must have been back i must search for him again ''. But, he wasn't around my block so, at around 7 o'clock in the morning i was almost at my house door and....

After 15 hours of his wild and what not adventures... Don was there :w00t:

Since he is Husky dog and it was foggy i was sure he will go too far and never get back, someone might steal him or what not, especially because fog and dirt makes his sense of smell pretty much useless so he gets hard time to find way back home.

He surely was dirty, hell he was tired so much i could see it but how happy were both of us, me especially since now i am sure that he knows i threat him with great respect and care. He got muscle problems ( combustion? :) sorry don't know right word ) and he cried when try to lie down or get up, so i called my Vet and he said its fine, too much running only :D His appetite was great and luckily he wasn't struck by car or anything.

I am expecting half Husky puppies to run around my block very soon :) but all in all, i can not understand this couple - no clone can replace your dog's character and relationship which you had. Waste of money, better if they helped evicted dogs with that money in Dylan's name. If this made them feel calm and fine i am happy for them but i do not understand such logic.

Sorry for long post :)

• Like 1

^ Aww, I'm glad you got Don back and unharmed too. :)

• Like 1

^ Aww, I'm glad you got Don back and unharmed too. :)

Thank you :) Moment i saw him was so happy, i would be one sad human being if he didn't make it back.

• Like 1