Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gamer Keeps Super Nintendo On for 20 Years

Still Waters

A gamer in Japan named Wanikun has left his Super Nintendo in a powered-on state for 20 years so that he wouldn't lose his save data. Now that's dedication.

This means his console has racked up over 175,000 hours of continuous usage, and is still 'plugging along' somewhere in Japan right now. By now one might hope that he would be able to beat the game blindfolded, but perhaps its being kept around by pure nostalgia rather than active use.

http://gamerant.com/...n-for-20-years/

• Like 1

Don't they have blackouts in Japan?

This article states that it was shut down on rare emergency situations and that he unplugged it at one point but without loosing his saving.

Edited by EEHC

• 5 months later...

Back in the days when internet wasn't a common thing, I'd hear about crazy ways to unlock secret characters, like "Don't move for 6 hours after beating the final boss until he gets sick of you and gives you all pokemon", and I'd actually give them a try.

I admire this guy's dedication.

• Like 1

On January 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Don't they have blackouts in Japan?

Of course, but it's Japan, electronics capital of the world, they also have uninterrupted battery backups, one would assume.