Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I think we heard two Thunderbirds

RoadMaster04

The call was a triable screech & not what Id need to here walking alone at night , we where in my home but I went outside to see if it was visible, not this time. The call was only of that of a Thunderbird Know dought in my mind.

The call was a triable screech & not what Id need to here walking alone at night , we where in my home but I went outside to see if it was visible, not this time. The call was only of that of a Thunderbird Know dought in my mind.

400429[/snapback]

Umm I severely doubt it, sorry. Thunderbirds are one of those things that are complete BS even by the styandards of some of the other Cryptoids around. Not even remotely possible if you read what their descriptions are supposed to be...

A report in the April 26, 1890 Tombstone Epigraph listed the creature's wingspan as an alarming 160 feet, and noted that the bird was about 92 feet long, about 50 inches around at the middle, and had a head about eight feet long. The beast was said to have no feathers, but a smooth skin and wingflaps "composed of a thick and nearly transparent membrane... easily penetrated by a bullet." Perhaps the hardest part of this story to swallow is that two horses could manage to haul a dead behemoth like this for any distance. http://www.parascope.com/en/cryptozoo/predators10.htm

LMAO laugh.gif

There are some big birds out there. Many sightings have been documented about 'the big bird'. Another part of the strange phenomenon that surrounds us.

Sorry, I don't believe you. You may have heard something, but it wasn't Thunderbirds.

It really is impossible for Thunderbirds (or surviving Pterodactyls, or Terradons) to exist today.

Even if they did...we'd know about it.

They're a myth.

Giant reptilian birds that survived the extinction of the other dinosaurs.

Apparently they decided to settle in America around the 17th century and are extremely camera shy.

There have been a few pictures of "captured" or "dead" Thunderbirds, all were hoaxes.

So far there is no evidence that these creatures still exist today.

400429[/snapback]

Ravens can make a variety of noises and enjoy being malicious and "goofing off" so to speak, with humans and other ravens. Sometimes they will race eachother, do stunts while flying, and be abnoxious. It's possible you were scared half to death by a simple, common, but wonderful bird.

Besides, your post sounds like mindless poetry.

There are some big birds out there. Many sightings have been documented about 'the big bird'. Another part of the strange phenomenon that surrounds us.

400645[/snapback]

Isnt there evidence that a big bird still exists some where around Seaseme Street??

Teddy grin2.gif

So you heard a screeching sound during a storm and automatically knew it was a thunderbird? Well; that's good enough for me! Call me convinced! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Read some 'Big Bird' literature...scores of documented incidents. Some think these creatures to be paranormal. wink2.gif

I agree that the account of the Bird from 1890 is stupidly large for anything living in this day and age, but I think it's slightly ignorant to disregard the existence of something bigger than we know of. If you search around, you'll find that there are many many accounts of huge birds, with enourmous but believable wingspans, in the region of 15-20 feet. Some people believe they are Thunderbirds(which should be taken into consideration), and others believe they are simply really big Herons, Owls or other unusually large birds.

Just thought I'd add my opinion. Thunderbirds shouldn't be ruled out as a possibility though, as the white ring around the neck of the birds appears time after time in the accounts from people, and is a classic example of what the Native Americans saw as a main feature of the Thunderbird.

Couldn't it be possible that there are Thunderbirds but that they are ghosts? That would explain why they can't be found and it would mean that dinosaurs (if they are dinosaurs) had a soul

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the account of the Bird from 1890 is stupidly large for anything living in this day and age, but I think it's slightly ignorant to disregard the existence of something bigger than we know of.  If you search around, you'll find that there are many many accounts of huge birds, with enourmous but believable wingspans, in the region of 15-20 feet. Some people believe they are Thunderbirds(which should be taken into consideration), and others believe they are simply really big Herons, Owls or other unusually large birds.

Just thought I'd add my opinion. Thunderbirds shouldn't be ruled out as a possibility though, as the white ring around the neck of the birds appears time after time in the accounts from people, and is a classic example of what the Native Americans saw as a main feature of the Thunderbird.

421902[/snapback]

Hi There!

Im In scotland, two of my uncles saw a huge bird one night in a remote part of the Highlands. They heard wings flapping and a screech noise and looked up and caught the thing in their torch beams. They told me it was large, much larger than an eagle or a seabird. I looked on the net and found a similar sighting in Yorkshire, England. This was 1993.

So I have no problem believing thats theres a big bird out there, maybe its nocturnal so its not seen often ohmy.gif

There have been daytime sightings.

Herons are much larger than your average eagle or sea-bird. They also have a godawful screech or croak that can make your hair stand on end. They're also known for nocturnal migration. Seems like it would be a fairly likely possibility to me..

• 2 years later...
Herons are much larger than your average eagle or sea-bird. They also have a godawful screech or croak that can make your hair stand on end. They're also known for nocturnal migration. Seems like it would be a fairly likely possibility to me..
when I was 6 or 7 years old I was playing in my back yard and heard what sounded like someone shakeing out a bed sheet and when I looked up I saw a huge bird, it looked normal except that its wing span was unreal I'd say 25-30 foot, I was climbing a tree and it was just above me so when it passed out of sight I ran into the house and told my Mother, she laughed and said 'well you better be careful" I knew I had better just shut up cause noone would believe me so I did until I ran across Chief John Huffer who had filmed two of these birds. I talked with him for the first time this morning and he said the history channel was going to be showing something about them useing his fil sometime soon. I dont know if these were" thunderbirds" but whatever they are their just big.

Is it a bird??..is it a plane???..NO!!88!!!88 It's a bunch of pteradactyls that managed to survive the extinction period of the dynosaurs 60 million years ago, managed to stay hidden al the time and reproduce with a large enough population to maintain genetic diversity but still has managed not to die and leave their huge carcasses behind so that we humaaaans would find them.. wake up call!

we have found giant living squid that live miles below sealevel, I guess if giant canaries were flying around we would KNOW

That should be :- tribal, hear, were & doubt. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Is it a bird??..is it a plane???..NO!!88!!!88 It's a bunch of pteradactyls that managed to survive the extinction period of the dynosaurs 60 million years ago, managed to stay hidden al the time and reproduce with a large enough population to maintain genetic diversity but still has managed not to die and leave their huge carcasses behind so that we humaaaans would find them.. wake up call!

we have found giant living squid that live miles below sealevel, I guess if giant canaries were flying around we would KNOW

I know, it sound insane and thats why I dont tell people. I just ordered the DVD from Cheif John Hoffer that has two that look exactly like it but until there is some kind of hard evidence I will keep quiet! I really am not to worried about it. I just happened across a pic online a few days ago and had really forgot about it and when I started looking for more most of what I found was goofy mystic crap about this sprit bird! whatever I saw it was just an animal.

Yet it was still considered the stuff of legend until about 100 years ago and the first known photographs of a live giant squid were only taken in 2004.

If Thunderbirds (or some other sort of very large bird) do actually exist, they might not be surviving dinosaurs. They could literally be birds, or a flying reptile-thing that evolved after the extinction of the dinosaurs... which would possibly be a convenient explanation for all the dragon myths around the world, too. Who knows? Maybe they only nest on and prefer to stay around high altitudes, such as the top of tall mountains mostly untravelled by humans? Maybe they're getting rarer these days for the same reason as many other animal species - habitat destruction and climate change? *ponder*

That said, I doubt it would any sort of uber-colossal creature like the one in the Tombstone Epitaph... more likely something with a large but more plausible wingspan of around 5 metres or so.

• 6 years later...

When you consider that the world is roughly 6,000 years old (as opposed to millions or billions of years old), and that at least one dinosaur, which was named "Leonardo" because of some graffitti near where it was discovered, had INTACT skin impressions and digestive system, it makes sense through the right lense that some Pterodactyls and other dinosaurs may even be alive in "modern times", in areas that are difficult for humans to reach. Especially since the entire world hasn't been fully explored. There are credible eye-witness accounts near marshland areas. So it isn't farfetched as it may seem. Of course, they would be much smaller in number in this day and age than they were prior to the Flood, which produced rapidly formed fossils. Think about it.

When you consider that the world is roughly 6,000 years old (as opposed to millions or billions of years old), and that at least one dinosaur, which was named "Leonardo" because of some graffitti near where it was discovered, had INTACT skin impressions and digestive system, it makes sense through the right lense that some Pterodactyls and other dinosaurs may even be alive in "modern times", in areas that are difficult for humans to reach. Especially since the entire world hasn't been fully explored. There are credible eye-witness accounts near marshland areas. So it isn't farfetched as it may seem. Of course, they would be much smaller in number in this day and age than they were prior to the Flood, which produced rapidly formed fossils. Think about it.

You, sir, are full of mahookey.

• Like 1

There are lots of things that make screeching sounds that aren't animals. Tires screeching? Low flying planes? Wind? Also, bobcats and cats in heat or fighting can make some pretty horrendous sounds too.

There are lots of things that make screeching sounds that aren't animals. Tires screeching? Low flying planes? Wind? Also, bobcats and cats in heat or fighting can make some pretty horrendous sounds too.

I was walking my dog one night in my backyard and a heron that was roosting up in one of the trees let out a screech that made my hair stand on end and my dog pee himself. I had to pick him up and bring him back inside.

Edited by Rafterman

I was walking my dog one night in my backyard and a heron that was roosting up in one of the trees let out a screech that made my hair stand on end and my dog pee himself. I had to pick him up and bring him back inside.

There ya go. In hearing an odd screech, I don't think I would have immediately jumped to the conclusion of Thunderbird.