Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zig Zag moving star

pkorion8

Hi , i would really like to have closure on a phenomenon i saw few years ago and still cannot explain.

I myself is a science enthusiast and been studying. Ok, here it is :

Created a rough animation of what i saw :

View was much wider. Animation is made to reflect what i saw. Star is made bigger for better understanding ( not to scale ).

Explaination :

1) Saw a small star moving slowly at 830 pm . ( was sure it was a satellite but they cant be seen at night time ).

2) Other part of the sky was having some lightning and clouds were building up.

3) Star suddenly stopped. Did some very fast zig zag movements.

4) Star after a pause of few seconds shoots towards the lightning , which was quiet far ( towards the horizon and star was seen just on top ).

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums. :)

I'm not sure what this could have been but some of our members should be able to offer some possible explanations.

was sure it was a satellite but they cant be seen at night time ).

False. You can watch dozens of satellites after sunset and b4 sunrise every day.

Singapore airport SIN has a high number of aircraft traffic. It seems probable that the spots were various

aircrafts reflecting the light from the lighting at different locations/altitudes, leading to the impression of just

one object was involved but wasnt (stroboscope effect).

Edited by toast

Hi , i would really like to have closure on a phenomenon i saw few years ago and still cannot explain.

I myself is a science enthusiast and been studying. Ok, here it is :

Created a rough animation of what i saw :

View was much wider. Animation is made to reflect what i saw. Star is made bigger for better understanding ( not to scale ).

Explaination :

1) Saw a small star moving slowly at 830 pm . ( was sure it was a satellite but they cant be seen at night time ).

2) Other part of the sky was having some lightning and clouds were building up.

3) Star suddenly stopped. Did some very fast zig zag movements.

4) Star after a pause of few seconds shoots towards the lightning , which was quiet far ( towards the horizon and star was seen just on top ).

Thank you.

I've seen it happen too. No where near Singapore though.

Ive not watched your reconstruction due to poor dialup speed, but could it have been ball lightening?

• Like 1

* It was not any kind of aircraft ( plane, kites , helicopter etc ). I have been a skywatcher and astronomy enthusiast throughout my life.and havent heard nor seen such phenomenon.

* I know how satellites are seen , can be visible though but this case is completely different.

* It purely looked like a star ( dot without any flickerings ). Not the brightest but surely visible to naked eye.

* A friend of mine was watching with me and saw exactly the same thing which i have explained.

• Like 1

I know how satellites are seen ,

was sure it was a satellite but they cant be seen at night time

Well ...

I'm going with ball lightning. You said there was lightning in the area, so that sounds logical. I'm still confused about the satellite statement. I see satellites all the time, at night.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys .Ok to clear all the confusion.

Initially at the very first moment when i saw , i thought it was a satellite.It was moving in a linear constant speed, and then suddenly it was stopped ( It didn't disappear ) , it literally stopped, after few seconds it was zig zagging around and stopped again, then it suddenly moved very fast towards the lightning .

Again, it was a real incident, and am not saying it must be some alien craft or something. I just couldn't get an answer to this phenomenon.

I'd also first suggest ball lightning.

After that I'd suggest maybe a balloon with a light on it. The front edge of the storm could have caused wind that would make the balloon jump around. It also might create a strong updraft and pull the balloon toward the clouds very quickly.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, let me be clear and believe what you want, it's not a satellite it's not the weather and it's not something made up in your head..listen to my story, I was 13 years old and year was 1972 me and a friend was stargazing and we saw the exact same thing, a star like object zigzaging across the night sky, there was not much technology back then no cell phones no personal computers .and as of this day I'm not sure what it was,thanks for letting me post.

• Like 2