Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Venus flytraps "count" the number of times a struggling insect touches their trigger hairs and use that information to ramp up their digestion, according to a study by German scientists.

They recorded the impulses generated by these hairs, on the inside of the plant's maw, and measured various changes within the plant.

For example, two touches trigger a hormone increase; five bring on the production of digestive enzymes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-35371349

• Like 2

Great vid!

2 questions...

- What happens during rain?

- How does it get rid of the exoskeletons of insects?

Have I missed something? Where does 5 come into it?

I've not watched the video yet.

There's something i need to tell you because i don't want history to repeat itself again.

I've done something terrible in my life and it was with a venus flytrap plant. I started to feed her protein powder, not in a big dose but just a small one so she wouldnt close herself. After a couple of months, she was really big. It was almost scary.

Then, i used some elastic brand to hold the upper and bottom part and prevent them to close. I trained her like this until she became really buff.

One day, i notice something strange. My venus flytrap was closed and there was something out of her mouth. It was my neighbor's dog.

Maybe I also missed something in the vid. It only talked about 2, not 5.

Maybe I also missed something in the vid. It only talked about 2, not 5.

Third line in the OP.

For example, two touches trigger a hormone increase; five bring on the production of digestive enzymes.
Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Third line in the OP.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Ah... Thanks.

• Like 1

Been growing Flytraps for decades, they are quite easy if you follow a few parameters. Rather amazing how they function. They are quite common in cultivation and are even produced by the tens of thousands through tissue culture techniques. Sadly they are increasingly rare in their only known native habitat, in and around Wilmington, N.C. and the adjacent area in S.C. due to "flytrappers," people who dig and sell wild collected specimens. It is now a felony to collect them from the wild, I believe, so that will help. But the area has also had several drought years and these are bog plants that like constantly damp soil.

There is also a (probably) introduced population in the Apalachicola National Forest in N.W. Florida, where they seem to be thriving.

For further info, as well as sources and cultivation techniques Google the International Carnivorous Plant Society, I.C.P.S.

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 2

So without having read the article, I need to know, do Venus Flytraps have a preset kill limit? Can they be defeated by throwing wave after wave of insect minions at them or not?

• Like 1

horrible . we live on a planet where life kills other lives to survive. How disgusting this planet is! First time in my life i felt sorry for the flies. They just wanted to enjoy more their lives.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

horrible . we live on a planet where life kills other lives to survive. How disgusting this planet is! First time in my life i felt sorry for the flies. They just wanted to enjoy more their lives.

If you are really that oblivious to the beauty of nature, to the intricacies of the circle of life, if you really are devoid of a sense of wonder at these things then I truly pity you.

• Like 2

I have a question, as I am not a botanist:

How do they dispose of the "leftovers"? :huh:

I have a question, as I am not a botanist:

How do they dispose of the "leftovers"? :huh:

Wind or rain removes the hollow exoskeletons of the dead insects.

• Like 2

So without having read the article, I need to know, do Venus Flytraps have a preset kill limit? Can they be defeated by throwing wave after wave of insect minions at them or not?

In a way, the traps can only open and close so many times before they must be replaced that is why you should not tease them with you fingers or whatever, they have to grow to reopen and 2-4 times per trap is about the limit they can repeat the process, before the leaf dies and must be replace. They also function poorly in colder weather, but then so do the insects.

There a much bigger carnivorous plants capable of killing lizards, small birds and mammals, frogs, etcetera, but those are accidental catches: their main prey are still insects. For really big ones look up: Nepenthes rajah, N. merrilliana, N. truncata or N. attenboroughii. Much bigger than any Flytrap.

• Like 2

If you are really that oblivious to the beauty of nature, to the intricacies of the circle of life, if you really are devoid of a sense of wonder at these things then I truly pity you.

well then , it is a wild beauty and it appears what is beautiful and intricate for others like us, it is a drama for all the creatures that get stuck in this type of beauty. It is their paint, their sorrow for never enjoying the sun light and beauty of life itself, again.

I see it like the following; assuming an alien civillisation is watching us from the beginning of time, they suppose to enjoy the beauty of life when we were killing each other during wars and recession times.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Wind or rain removes the hollow exoskeletons of the dead insects.

Ah, ok. Thanks. :)