Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

So the Earth really is flat.

Baz Dane

i have seen the curvature of the earth with mine own eyes.... from the empire state building.. and from Mountains.

You have to gain some altitude to be able to see far enough to notice it. For instance, i don't believe you notice it if you are on the surface of the ocean?

I am very excited by the Earth being flat.

I can't wait for scientists to discover the underside!

Only geckos can view it, as they can walk upside down on just about anything....

• Like 3

Only geckos can view it, as they can walk upside down on just about anything....

I thought that Australians lived on the underside ? Or is that a misunderstanding of the phrase "Land down under" ? :whistle:

I am very excited by the Earth being flat.

I can't wait for scientists to discover the underside!

Pervert.

• Like 4

I thought that Australians lived on the underside ? Or is that a misunderstanding of the phrase "Land down under" ? :whistle:

Yeah, but if those flat earth maps are right, well, we're up with you guys. Which then raises another question for the people-who-pretend-they-believe-in-flat-earthery-but-are-more-likely-trolls... The question is this... There are BAZILLIONS of pictures of the Moon, taken from locations around the world. The Moon is VERY obviously differently angled in those shots, and the difference in angle corresponds EXACTLY to the difference you would get if the world was round. As an example, the Moon from mid-latitude Australia (say 30 degrees South) is seen to be tilted by exactly the amount you would geometrically expect (60 degrees) if photographed at the same time/season.

If the earth was flat, that could not possibly happen. So I guess the PWPTBIFEBAMLTs then also MUST believe that the Moon is holographically projected from different points on the 'disc'.. and so on.

For anyone to seriously believe in this idiocy, their logic circuits must be completely dysfunctional. So one could say that hoping they are trolls is possibly a more polite approach?

Added....

BTW, isn't that a *great* song!! Note that Colin Hay, who does the very distinctive vocals, has had a brilliant if largely quiet solo career. He's also done a lot of work for various TV series and films, eg this song (amongst others) in a cool cameo from Scrubs.. Incredibly talented and wicked sense of humour (watch the end of this clip..) - see him live if possible.. "Ghosts appear .. and fade away.. (sounds of guitar smashing) .... I have other songs..!?"

Edited by ChrLzs

It is interesting from a psychological perspective, on both sides of the "argument", as to the motives at work. No-one should be crazy enough to believe it, and no-one should be crazy enough to bother contradicting them !

well ... I am extra sane as I have not been responding at all and .....

Doh !

If the earth was flat, that could not possibly happen. So I guess the PWPTBIFEBAMLTs then also MUST believe that the Moon is holographically projected from different points on the 'disc'.. and so on.

Of course it is! There's no such thing as Outer Space! It's all a hologram. The Earth is covered by a giant glass dome a few miles up, much like a snow globe.

In fact, that's the answer to what's on the underside. If you did ever get the chance to turn it upside down, you'd see a label saying "MADE IN CHINA".

well ... I am extra sane as I have not been responding at all and .....

Doh !

Welcome to the asylum. The padded walls should make your stay very comfortable.

• Like 2

Oops, I mangled a sentence above... When talking about how the different tilt of the Moon is even more proof (as if any was needed) of our round earth, I left a sentence unfinished... here is what it should have been....

"As an example, the Moon from mid-latitude Australia (say 40 degrees South) is seen to be tilted by exactly the amount you would geometrically expect (80-90 degrees) if photographed at the same time/season as that same Moon photographed from mid-latitude Europe / USA (say 40 degrees North)."

That's because, of course, this happens:

moon_orientation.jpg

(From "Guanolad" on the Straightdope forum)

There is absolutely no way you can get that effect from a flat earth, and that is proven every day on hundreds if not thousands of Moon photos posted on the web each and every day..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

This is one of those things where it just doesn't matter if one believes it or not. Facts are like that...facts simply *are* and that's that. Sure, one can choose to live in a 'demon haunted world' where the Earth is flat and your next door neighbor is a witch/vampire/zombie...won't make it factual though.

• Like 2

This is one of those things where it just doesn't matter if one believes it or not. Facts are like that...facts simply *are* and that's that. Sure, one can choose to live in a 'demon haunted world' where the Earth is flat and your next door neighbor is a witch/vampire/zombie...won't make it factual though.

Ye-e-es. But there are all sorts of people who reject all sorts of facts. The interesting question is why people might choose to reject this fact or some other one - whether the Moon landings were faked, or vaccines cause autism, or that Nigerian guy in the email really does have millions of dollars just for you. In the case of Flat Earthers I've heard it said that most members of the FE Society don't actually believe it, but are willing to play along with the idea in order to mess with the minds of the True Believers; also that most members like the idea of challenging people to actually explain How We Know the Earth is round.

Has anyone heard of Brett Salisbury? He's an author, from his book http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/1522962190 and youtube account he claims

"Satellites in orbit would be silly to use for any technology as weather would create havoc and create a communication meltdown. You would shut down the supposed directv, sirius satellite radio, GPS, “satellite in space grid.” What happens when there’s clouds in the sky with heavy rain? “If we used satellites on bad weather days? North America would be living in the stone ages with this silly idea from Arthur C. Clarke (Science Fiction Writer). The intercontinental Fiber optic cable below the sea connects nearly all the world which anyone with half a brain can see for themselves. The ionosphere (glass ceiling) are how things are “bounced” from the sky to your living room and to your dish or phone” “It’s hard enough with GPS ground based technology to keep a signal on your phone.” “It’s not rocket science folks, satellites in space are laughable and impossible””The people claiming to the see ISS is embarrassing as it doesn’t exist”

-Contributor, Dr. John Mack, Department of Defense

Even if John Mack said this, how would bad weather set North America to the stone age if they used satellites?

Edited by Rlyeh

“It’s not rocket science folks, satellites in space are laughable and impossible””The people claiming to the see ISS is embarrassing as it doesn’t exist”

-Contributor, Dr. John Mack, Department of Defense

That's the most worrying part. He's one of the people who believe they have a divinely inspired duty to spread Freedom around the world at the point of a missile? :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I just heard about this on a Skeptoid email and couldn't believe it was a "thing" again but apparently stupid has no expiration date. I looked at Google Trends and sure enough the trend is WAY up in the last few months.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=flat earth

Skeptoid:  https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4521

It is interesting that we haven't had an outbreak of stupid here. 

Edited by Merc14

31 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

School's letting out over the next few weeks.  Just be patient.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merc14 said:

I just heard about this on a Skeptoid email and couldn't believe it was a "thing" again but apparently stupid has no expiration date. I looked at Google Trends and sure enough the trend is WAY up in the last few months.

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=flat earth

Skeptoid:  https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4521

1 hour ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

School's letting out over the next few weeks.  Just be patient.

Usually, outbreaks of stupidity rears its ugly head on Wednesdays.  

• 3 weeks later...