Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Only Known US Wild Jaguar Caught On Camera

Still Waters

The only known wild jaguar in the United States has been caught on camera roaming parts of an Arizona mountain range.

The big cat, nicknamed El Jefe - Spanish for The Boss - has been living in the Santa Rica Mountains just north of the Mexican border, for over three years, the Center for Biological Diversity believes.

http://news.sky.com/...aught-on-camera

• Like 8

Didn't Jags use to roam the southwest years ago but were hunted out?

Didn't Jags use to roam the southwest years ago but were hunted out?

Yes but theyre making a comeback. When I first moved to AZ in 09 there was one struck by a car not far from me on the eastern side of the state and I came across tracks from an adult and cub on the shore of the Colorado River several hours drive north of Tucson a couple of years later. Although they admittedly could have been cougar tracks, but the adult ones were HUGE leading me to think jaguar.

• Like 2

wow this is sad.

Um why?

I believe I saw that dude in an alley by brother's home around 7 years ago.

I had planned on capturing him and riding him around in lieu of my car.

I believe I saw that dude in an alley by brother's home around 7 years ago.

I had planned on capturing him and riding him around in lieu of my car.

We gotta hang out !

Edit Just a joke man

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

Man at work; I'll bet we eventually wind up wiping out the earth. :cry:

Edited by MJNYC

Man at work; I'll bet we eventually wind up wiping out the earth. :cry:

Re read the article. This isnt an occasion to be sad but one to celebrate. The Jaguar is making a comeback!

• Like 4

Did they give any GPS co-ords? Just curious. I'm a despicable hunter photographer and would like to get some nice shots on of this beautiful animal. They are so precious and have a special place on my mantle in my heart! <3

Sorry, this is actually sad. This is such a lovely animal. Just look at the intricate design on its pelt. Imagine how that pelt looks on my floor in the jungle: melding in with the light from the fireplace the foliage!

Sorry part II: Seriously, humanities quest for money has caused so much destruction to things that have taken so many millions /billions of years to evolve. It has taken too long for us to get the big picture and start to care, and I fear it may be too late.

• Like 3

If a jaguar looks at you for more than 5 seconds... it wants to eat you.

:passifier:

• Like 1

All well and good but one Jaguar a population cannot make, they need to import it a mate from down south. We also have a few Ocelots and perhaps a few Margays living just this side of the Mexican Boarder. Its surprising that all three species have never made a successful stand in the bayous of Louisiana, lots of game and lots of room. Historically the Jaguar went all the way east to Florida. I don't know if man was the reason for it's demise there, the Cougar survives up to the present day in Florida.

Interesting how the Fish and Game dept killed the few successful mountain lions living just north of tucson to reintroduce the failed big horn sheep. For the jaguar's sake, I hope it remains to the south of tucson in the Santa Rita mountains.

I wonder if Jags are working their way up from Central & South America or are they being reintroduced by a wildlife agency?

• Like 1

We border the state game lands and in the 70's it was all deer and Racoons. They lasted for a few years and then it was turkeys galore but they also vanished. We now have plenty of brazen bear and coyotes. Throw in the occasional Bob cat but as you can see the cycle is always changing...

• Like 4

organise a hunt and kill him.. the last surviving creature in a schizofrenic parasitic society. Humanity does it often

Edited by qxcontinuum

Um why?

Because

The only known wild jaguar in the United States has been caught on camera

organise a hunt and kill him.. the last surviving creature in a schizofrenic parasitic society. Humanity does it often

Not Aussies mate. Unless they are stealing Beer or Vegemite, we don't really care, the entire country here will kill you if it can. It's just another morning to us. Toughen up a bit.

517aeb6a62717.jpeg

• Like 5

Another illegal immigrant

Please it's Jag u ars not Jagwas why do the Yanks always have to be different. No doubt the poor animal will end up on some fat kids burger. "Hey mom tastes ggrrreat."

I watch the NFL and do not think, for a minute, that the Jaguars are making a comeback.

• Like 6

I don't know how great of an idea it is to help another predator make a comeback. In most places, there just isn't enough game to supply them. Of course there are some regions where there are.

Currently near where I live, coyotes are out of hand. The rabbit population is way down. Plenty of deer, but coyotes prefer the smaller animals live peoples' chickens, pets and small livestock.

Please it's Jag u ars not Jagwas why do the Yanks always have to be different. No doubt the poor animal will end up on some fat kids burger. "Hey mom tastes ggrrreat."

Why do you have to be different and call a Barbecue a Barbie? Do you play with Dolls while grilling out? :w00t:

post-103357-0-67340600-1454686265_thumb.

Re read the article. This isnt an occasion to be sad but one to celebrate. The Jaguar is making a comeback!

It's sad that we originally almost wiped them out. So glad that they are coming back, but I thought the article said there is just one left?