Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weather Radar in Brisbane - bi level rainfall

ChrLzs

..I wouldn't say I'm an avid radar watcher, but I do check it reasonably frequently and it's the first time I've seen this effect...

BTW don't be disappointed if it isn't even vaguely interesting or that spectacular - it's a bit of a geeky sorta thing..

It probably won't last long, so if you are seeing this thread after say 4pm local Qld time today, it will likely be gone, sorry.

I often check the BOM ChrLzs - but anyway I'll take a 'pot shot'.

The cloud is coming down from a N/W direction - meeting with cloud coming up from a Southerly direction.

It looks to be in the early stages of a large 'swirling' mass.

Was I close ? I always wanted to be a weather girl :D

• Like 4

Did you take a still

do u mean me Mango ?

If so - no I didn't.

Did you take a still

Do you know something I don't know lol....

I often check the BOM ChrLzs - but anyway I'll take a 'pot shot'.

The cloud is coming down from a N/W direction - meeting with cloud coming up from a Southerly direction.

It looks to be in the early stages of a large 'swirling' mass.

I noticed that as well.

• Like 1

Looking at the Stapylton loop - did I miss it?

• Like 1

Looking at the Stapylton loop - did I miss it?

I think we all missed it.

Maybe the wind blew him away...

download%2028_zpsox0fqsso.jpg

• Like 2

No, *work* blew me away... Sorry bout that..

Anyways, it's still there, if not as marked - yeah, Astra, you get a red kangaroo stamp on your hand for very good work, young lady!! - two distinct groups of rain patches, one group coming from the SouthEast (SSE actually) and the other coming from the WestNorthWest (I think the first group, from the SSE, is at the lower altitude judging by what I am seeing out my window..). The two groups are crossing each other almost at right angles, and overlapping as they go through.

I've not seen this effect before on the radar, and I'd love to be in a plane up there exploring what's going on - if you were in between the two layers it would be quite hard to get your bearings!!

PS, sadly I'm on a work computer and unable to easily save the imagery... but it's not all that exciting really, just a bit unusual...

PPS, it may not be obvious until you watch the loops carefully - you need to visualise the directions in your head...

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

Do you know something I don't know lol....

Possibly, but not about this.

I was hoping the radar is displayed as a GIF and he could easily paste it here, The page cycles through .png files.

I was wondering if the clouds heading towards each other were an illusion or not.

• Like 2

Definitely not an illusion - still happening right now (5:03) - look carefully at the loop - the patches coming from the SSE are small and thinning out now, but it's still pretty obvious..

Well, I thought it was cool, anyways..

• Like 3

Brisbane's 5 o'clock storm returns. Looks like Archerfield was getting wet.

• Like 1

Well Iv'e just got back from a walk - a very windy walk btw down by the water....quite a few rain squalls about as well.

Very unsettled weather here on the coast atm...

@ ChrLzs - with these mixed winds blowing all over the shop - makes me wonder if a 'low' might be developing ?

I wonder when we'll see our first cyclone develop off the Qld coast...Feb is usually renowned for them.

• Like 2

Postscript....

Sadly BOM doesn't do this as a GIF.. Or if they do, they use some sort of html wizardry to stop you saving it, and I can't be bothered checking the source code (plus it was 5pm and I wianted to go home..) However, I did take a horrible quality movie on the only phone I had nearby - I'll try to clean it up when I have a minute and post a gif... However, I have a busy weekend ahead, may not happen for a while, sorry...

And I just checked - everything's moving in the same direction today, coming up from the SSE. So it's unusually cool and rainy today - pleasant change from the heat of the last couple of weeks!

• Like 1

I think it's pretty cool that you've popped in the BOM ChrLzs...I don't have to drop another link now to check it out.

We can now see and discuss what the weather is getting up to in SE Qld and beyond - right here at UM lol..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, I hope all you lovely SE Qld'ers are keeping your tootsies dry today as this cyclone system weakens. I live right on the beach front.....and the front of the property is getting pounded with colossal wind and rain. Apparently all schools have been closed as well.  

Debbie, certainly left a fair deal of destruction in the north. As far as I'm aware tho.. there were no fatalities...so at least that's good news. I hope folk will be careful on the roads...as it's still rather wild outside.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astra. said:

Well, I hope all you lovely SE Qld'ers are keeping your tootsies dry today as this cyclone system weakens. I live right on the beach front.....and the front of the property is getting pounded with colossal wind and rain. Apparently all schools have been closed as well.  

Debbie, certainly left a fair deal of destruction in the north. As far as I'm aware tho.. there were no fatalities...so at least that's good news. I hope folk will be careful on the roads...as it's still rather wild outside.  

Why do they persist on calling these cyclones pretty girl names? If you wanna get my attention to a serious cyclonic weather pattern then call it something scary... like cyclone Saddam or cyclone KimJong-Un... now that will keep people indoors, safe and off the roads. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Why do they persist on calling these cyclones pretty girl names? If you wanna get my attention to a serious cyclonic weather pattern then call it something scary... like cyclone Saddam or cyclone KimJong-Un... now that will keep people indoors, safe and off the roads. 

Yeah lol...check this out if you have the time. 

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/names.shtml

• Like 1

Yes, feelin' a little soggy, due to the Debbie downpour..  Here at work, all the paperwork is drooping due to the 100% humidity.  About to go home early and see how flooded my garden is - luckily I'm in a highset house..

My sympathies to all those badly affected up North. 

• Like 1

Drive home safely ChrLzs...lots of flooding happening too.

3 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

We had one named Frederick in 1979 that just rolled right over my hometown of Mobile, AL.  It was a Cat 3 and Freddy wasn't playing any games!  I'll never forget that experience.  The sound of the wind was like a living creature.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, and then said:

We had one named Frederick in 1979 that just rolled right over my hometown of Mobile, AL.  It was a Cat 3 and Freddy wasn't playing any games!  I'll never forget that experience.  The sound of the wind was like a living creature.  

...sounds scary. Im happy to say that i have never experienced anything like that and with any luck never will. Did you suffer any personal or property damage?