Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cryptids in your area

blackshuckdog

Hey guys new to the site and for my first post I'd like to find out some of the cryptids and legends in the areas in which you all live. Im from Norfolk in the UK where we have the black shuck dog and alien big cats said to be roaming the countryside, so what about the rest of you, What supposed cryptids inhabit where you live?

• Like 1

We have sightings of Bigfoot in a large state forest just miles from my home. I have followed up on these sightings but have not found any substantial evidence for them. The Appalachian Trail runs through the length of this forest and some folks think Bigfoot uses this trail when they migrate.

• Like 1

Im from Norfolk in the UK where we have the black shuck dog and alien big cats said to be roaming the countryside

I may have heard about big cats roaming in the woods years ago, but nothing about the black shuck dog? can you tell us more about that sighting.

We have the typical Bigfoot sightings and things like that. My favorite legends though are the super local ones that every kid in my city grew up on.

- Green Man: an old mill worker who was mutated in an accident & is supposedly seen wondering certain tunnels in his neighborhood

- Walking Rosie: a statue from one of the town's older graveyards who comes to life & walks at night

- Ridge Road house: was haunted by a man who went crazy & killed his family. Just an urban legend, but the house really did explode at random & burn down, and the cause of the explosion is yet to be figured out.

• Like 1

Supposedly the Ohio grassman is around these parts and there is the story of the Minerva monster which people say is either the grassman or a bigfoot.

• Like 1

I've heard "La Llorona," aka the weeping woman and UFOs around the area. I've seen UFOs, never the weeping woman. Honestly, don't care to either. I'd rather not be scarred for life.

Bigfoot sightings a few hours from me, it might fit the definition of cryptid you were looking for but I also am pretty sure I found Jaguar tracks near me. Could have been cougar but they were HUGE.

I live on Vancouver Island, where the term "Sasquatch" originated. People have reported sasquatch sightings for many decades, and the many native bands have legends of the sasquatch going back centuries. This is also the location of Cadboro Bay, which is where the Cadborosaurus got its name; it is also known as "Caddy." We have plenty of UFO sightings, and have the highest amount of sightings in Canada. My city is also considered the most haunted city in the country.

On the north end of the state we have South Bay Bessie, the Lake Erie Monster and down south we have The Loveland Frogs. Every where else we have The Grassman, AKA Bigfoot. Never seen any of them myself, a friend saw the Grassman years ago.

Tim in Ohio

Heh, we are pretty boring here in CA US, We have the usual Bigfoot up north, the Ghost deer, Tahoe Tessie, the Trinity Alps Giant Salamander, Caddy and of course the residual Jakalope sighting (Like a wolpertinger, but no wings and this one migrated west with the gold rush). Though I started a small legend thatmany here believe; the Lumsden park pond Volkswagen Beetle.

Reports of a creature named “Bearilla” roams the Kentucky wilderness. It has combined features of a bear and a wolf. It has also come to be known as the “Kentucky Werewolf.”

I live on Vancouver Island, where the term "Sasquatch" originated. People have reported sasquatch sightings for many decades, and the many native bands have legends of the sasquatch going back centuries. This is also the location of Cadboro Bay, which is where the Cadborosaurus got its name; it is also known as "Caddy." We have plenty of UFO sightings, and have the highest amount of sightings in Canada. My city is also considered the most haunted city in the country.

Obviously, the beer is much too strong up there. Clears the sinuses, 'though.

Skinwalkers, Bigfoot (The Howler: look up Crownpoint, NM Howler), giant snakes, giant birds (Thunderbird fame), giant spiders (guy once told me he was sleeping in his car and woke up to a spider on his driver-side window. The legs were long enough to cover the entire frame of the window), Pueblo tribes living kachinas, Ute stick men, River Woman aka The White Lady aka La Llorona, El Cucuy, Brujas (I was told throughout my childhood by my older relatives to stay away from Bernalillo. Too many Brujas).

Black panthers, the odd pterodactyl sighting... usually by a tourist.... yeah... anyway (tourist tip: stay away from the Tequila), and last but not least our UFO's. Some of these aren't cryptids but I just wanted you to see how crazy people are in New Mexico. The Land of Enchantment sure lives up to her name.

The occasional 'Yowie' . Once , while driving across the river over the old wooden bridge near my place, at night , something was gallouping ahead of me .... dont know what it was ..... strange size shape and unusual gait , but very much like the gait of a quoll . Never seen anything like it, only got a view from the back, then on the other side of the bridge it went bush ...... a very crazily large ( x 3 ) spotless quoll, with its tail missing .... ? :unsure2:

Obviously, the beer is much too strong up there. Clears the sinuses, 'though.

Much too strong, or not strong enough? :alien:

I just have chupacabras.....:(

• Like 1

I may have heard about big cats roaming in the woods years ago, but nothing about the black shuck dog? can you tell us more about that sighting.

Sorry for the late reply but certainly the black shuck dog or old shuck as some call it is a supposedly large black demon dog with glowing red eyes that preys on people around the coast

It supposedly burst through the doors of a church in Bungay in 1577 running up the aisle killing a man and a boy in the process

Edited by blackshuckdog
  • Like 1

There was MOMO aka the Missouri Monster back in the early 70's along the Mississippi River. But since then, nothing.

Sorry for the late reply but certainly the black shuck dog or old shuck as some call it is a supposedly large black demon dog with glowing red eyes that preys on people around the coast

It supposedly burst through the doors of a church in Bungay in 1577 running up the aisle killing a man and a boy in the process

That's OK, thank you for your reply.

I am surprised that I never heard before about the Black shuck dog, I found it interesting, indeed.

In case anyone else what's to know more about the Black shuck, here's a link. http://norfolkcoast.co.uk/myths/ml_blackshuck.htm