Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Earth's rarest minerals catalogued

Still Waters

Scientists have categorised the Earth's rarest minerals.

None of 2,500 species described is known from more than five locations, and for a few of them the total global supply could fit in a thimble.

The researchers say it is important to hunt down these oddities because they contain fundamental information about the construction of our planet.

Some will also undoubtedly have properties that are useful in technological applications.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-35569659

• Like 1

Many of these minerals could have useful properties, but because of their rarity there may not be enough to experiment with.

Interesting, yes, but fingerite sounds like something you should go to the doctor for. I wonder if thumbite is even rarer since we have less thumbs than fingers. Forgive me, I'm in a more smart-ass mood than usual.

Isn't there theories that diamonds supply is controlled to keep them valuable?

I know there are some seriously expensive minerals out there. It's still awesome to know. Imagine a ring or a necklace made out of one. Would be worth a small fortune. I wonder how many people will go to these location specific places to try and get their hands on some just to sell it (or hold it to hope it's price rises, one might have great properties or something which make it valuable).

I thought I was also looking at a chunk of pizzite.

That is Grandma's fruitcake.

Edited by TripGun