Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bob D.

I recently saw a video on youtube about a megalithic site found somewhere in Wyoming. I'm pretty sure the Native Americans didn't build this. I've searched the web and can't find any info on this. Has anyone heard of this before or have any info on it. I believe the video was called "Must see,megalithic site found in Wyoming,Wyoming Stonehenge. Who built this and why,maybe more proof of giants in America. Anyone with info on this please post. Thanks Bob D.

It's probably bogus. Only mention on google was thw video you mentioned. If it were real it would show up elsewhere

Bob D, is this your own YouTube video?

I know you're trying to intimate it isn't, but a YouTube search with your own keywords ("Must see,megalithic site found in Wyoming,Wyoming Stonehenge") brought me right to the video you mentioned. So, not exactly hard to track down.

Given that there is no legitimate biological or archaeological evidence for a race of giants, that can be ruled out straight away. And given that pre-Columbian populations created highly impressive megalithic sites from North America through South America, there is no reason to ascribe piles of rocks to some mysterious, unevidenced "lost" civilization.

Personally I don't think it's even ancient.

--------------------------------

Shadowsot, it's not the same site as the Medicine Wheel. Nor is it as organized or purposeful as the Medicine Wheel. The site in the video is more a random pile of rocks. Fun to visit, no doubt, and I'm sure my six-year-old nephew would love climbing all over it. But like I said, I quite doubt there's actually any antiquity to the site.

We could really use Swede to weigh in on this.

I grow weary of the whole "giants" fiction.

• Like 7

It's probably bogus. Only mention on google was thw video you mentioned. If it were real it would show up elsewhere

Are you thinking it was sit up???

Ok, since I can't watch videos right now:

Why are you pretty sure Native Americans didn't build it?

Is the object the Bighorn medicine wheel?

https://en.m.wikiped...storic_Landmark

No it's not the medicine wheel. They're fairly large boulders. I don't think Native Americans built it,because the boulders are just to big and stacked to high. I don't believe they had the tools or technology to quarry stones that big,move them then stack them.

Bob D, is this your own YouTube video?

I know you're trying to intimate it isn't, but a YouTube search with your own keywords ("Must see,megalithic site found in Wyoming,Wyoming Stonehenge") brought me right to the video you mentioned. So, not exactly hard to track down.

Given that there is no legitimate biological or archaeological evidence for a race of giants, that can be ruled out straight away. And given that pre-Columbian populations created highly impressive megalithic sites from North America through South America, there is no reason to ascribe piles of rocks to some mysterious, unevidenced "lost" civilization.

Personally I don't think it's even ancient.

--------------------------------

Shadowsot, it's not the same site as the Medicine Wheel. Nor is it as organized or purposeful as the Medicine Wheel. The site in the video is more a random pile of rocks. Fun to visit, no doubt, and I'm sure my six-year-old nephew would love climbing all over it. But like I said, I quite doubt there's actually any antiquity to the site.

We could really use Swede to weigh in on this.

I grow weary of the whole "giants" fiction.

Can you give info on any megalithic sites in the rocky mountain region. I'm really into this subject. If real the aerial view shows it's not just a random pile of stones. More info on it's location would help. Is it in some remote location,or close to town set up to draw tourist??? I just put the name of the video in as I remembered seeing it. Thanks Bob D.

Alright, was a able to pull up the video.

And Kmt have to disagree with your statement.

It is clearly a man made structure, it doesn't look like a very old one.

Unfortunately they don't give the location of the site, but the "Boulder to big to move without modern machinery" has a plaque on it. US Army Engineers, then gives a permit number.

Checking, while I can't be sure of the location there is an Army/Airforce base in the area.

Taking that into account with the US Army Engineers plaque, it looks like an old marker for pilots before modern radar and the development of GPS.

Looks like the other ones that have popped up here occasionally.

As far as the stones being to heavy.

That simply isn't the case. Certainly the Thunder stone and the trilithion at Baalbek were much larger.

• Like 5

Oh, I know it's clearly manmade, and it was purposefully arranged. But was it beyond mortal man's ability to do so? Of course not.

I certainly don't think it's ancient. There is no evidence of quarrying. The rocks are arranged in a discernible and pleasing pattern, but they are not fitted, dressed, or otherwise prepared. They're just in piles.

What it honestly makes me think of is, someone in modern times was clearing a field of rubble and small boulders, and decided to do something fun with them.

Edited by kmt_sesh
  • Like 4

If I had time I'd contact the US Army Engineers and ask about the permit. It's WY 7 1528 if someone is able to.

• Like 1

Alright, was a able to pull up the video.

And Kmt have to disagree with your statement.

It is clearly a man made structure, it doesn't look like a very old one.

Unfortunately they don't give the location of the site, but the "Boulder to big to move without modern machinery" has a plaque on it. US Army Engineers, then gives a permit number.

Checking, while I can't be sure of the location there is an Army/Airforce base in the area.

Taking that into account with the US Army Engineers plaque, it looks like an old marker for pilots before modern radar and the development of GPS.

Looks like the other ones that have popped up here occasionally.

As far as the stones being to heavy.

That simply isn't the case. Certainly the Thunder stone and the trilithion at Baalbek were much larger.

Hey thanks Shadow. Good objective info. I'll try finding more info on the permit number. Thanks. Bob D.

• Like 2

I'd say it was an obsolete installation. The film maker did a poor job of 'not noticing' the shed structure that was in the center. I may have contained a military training device or been an aerial bombardment range (using dud bombs) the little shed suggests some type of equipment was there. Piled up rocks probably from a bulldozer. The real give away is that permit which kinda tells you it was built for some specific purpose in modern times.

If we knew the location we'd probably find it is associated with a defunct airforce missile base or airfield.

Wobbly camera hides almost as much as it reveals. But what I see are freshly broken rocks with no mildew / fungus / moss on them that have not yet sunk into the soil. It might be 20 years old, probably a lot less.

Also noted is complete lack of any location, which of course could reveal on Google Earth the presence of a nearby quarry and maybe heavy machinery tracks leading to the site.

• Like 1

I recently saw a video on youtube about a megalithic site found somewhere in Wyoming. I'm pretty sure the Native Americans didn't build this. I've searched the web and can't find any info on this. Has anyone heard of this before or have any info on it. I believe the video was called "Must see,megalithic site found in Wyoming,Wyoming Stonehenge. Who built this and why,maybe more proof of giants in America. Anyone with info on this please post. Thanks Bob D.

Do you have any credentials in art history, ethnography, anthropology or sociology that might lend that vague sentiment more weight than, say, my opinion of American feetsball?

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

I'd say it was an obsolete installation. The film maker did a poor job of 'not noticing' the shed structure that was in the center. I may have contained a military training device or been an aerial bombardment range (using dud bombs) the little shed suggests some type of equipment was there. Piled up rocks probably from a bulldozer. The real give away is that permit which kinda tells you it was built for some specific purpose in modern times.

So, you're saying the OP is right.

It probably wasn't built by Native Americans.

Unless, you know, there were some among the enlistees.

Harte

Obviously a relatively new construct, since it's so bare and pristine. If ancient, the windblown debris and detritus of centuries would have covered, overgrown and obliterated such a site leaving only innocuous mounds to betray their presence.

Obviously a relatively new construct, since it's so bare and pristine. If ancient, the windblown debris and detritus of centuries would have covered, overgrown and obliterated such a site leaving only innocuous mounds to betray their presence.

That was my thoughts too,that it is fairly recent. I don't believe that nature would have covered over time. I have visited several Native American sites,where the tee pee rings are still clearly visible. Several hundred years old,and stones no bigger than a grape fruit.

Harte

I agree it would have been nice to see more of the shed. I would think there is a possibility,that the shed could have been left later. Lots of sheep and cattle are ranged in Wyoming. It would make a nice camp site for a lone sheep herder.

Harte

Well yes it in all probability wasn't built by Native Americans unless the contractor was " Ronald Running Buffaloes Construction Co., Limited"

• Like 1

The rocks don't have the veneer of having weathered for any period of time - you can see this in the matter of the shades of the stone.

• Like 1

The rocks don't have the veneer of having weathered for any period of time - you can see this in the matter of the shades of the stone.

Are they grey stones? Exactly how many shades are there? 50?

Are they grey stones? Exactly how many shades are there? 50?

Mottled white I believe.

Greetings,

Just a few notes, a number of which have already been addressed by other worthy contributors:

• Recent construct. No affiliation with traditional Native American/Amerindian practices.
  • Primarily sedimentary materials.
  • Recent construction well evidenced by the blasting-charge bore holes, lack of patination and/or desert varnish, etc.
  • There is precisely zero credible evidence for "giants" in North America or for any other locale on the planet.
  • Should you wish to investigate the Army Corps of Engineers permit, and are serious enough to expend the effort:

http://www.usace.army.mil/FOIA.aspx

You will find a rather mundane explanation.

Lastly, you may wish to be a bit cautious in regards to your "research"/"studies". The disturbance of or theft from archaeological sites on public lands (federal/state/tribal and often local) will put you afoul of numerous statutes including, but hardly limited to, the NHPA, ARPA, NAGPRA, NEPA, and AIRFA. Do realize that some of these statutes, in addition to the state, tribal, and local statutes, carry serious teeth ie felony level charges.

Should you be seriously interested in the topic, you may wish to consider contacting your residential Office of the State Archaeologist (OSA) or State Historical Preservation Office (SHPO) in addition to your state Archaeological Society. By making such contacts you will likely encounter individuals that will educate you in regards to legalities, ethics, and practices. In addition, you will likely encounter opportunities to be personally involved in actual, legitimate archaeological research.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 1

Mottled white I believe.

Google "50 Shades of Gray"

:innocent: