Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts: Analogue vs Digital

drewiduk

Hi Everyone,

Long time since I posted, but have an intriguing question.

If you were trying to find evidence of the paranormal, would you vie towards analogue or digital equipment?

Personally, I would use analogue as that type of equipment (cams, recorders etc) would pick up waves rather than signals. Again, personally, I think any paranormal/unexplained phenomenon would use a spectrum that we can not yet detect. I.e. light/gravitational waves. Hence, would analogue devices have more chance of absorbing these potential waves?

Just a personal theory, I would like to hear your theories and arguments

Drew

• Like 1

You can't find ghosts, ghosts finds you ...

• Like 1

..If you were trying to find evidence of the paranormal, would you vie towards analogue or digital equipment?

Everything. If it is unknown and by definition it is! then you shouldn't make assumptions.

..I think any paranormal/unexplained phenomenon would use a spectrum that we can not yet detect.

Why? .. and perhaps more importantly, how would they have gotten to 'choose'?? And if they did choose, why would they want to hide?

• Like 1

As much as there are ideal benefits of using digital voice recorders, there is also some additional noise and slight lack of wider frequency response.

My first choice, would be for a decent branded analogue recorder. Yet, there's no major flaws to not use digital. Either way, whatever your preference, use what suits your needs, or maybe both at the same time.

• 4 months later...

analogue recorders are not really good for evps,because u also reocrod tape drag and stuff with digital all u get is a nice clean sound

On 2/24/2016 at 4:09 AM, drewiduk said:

Personally, I would use analogue as that type of equipment (cams, recorders etc) would pick up waves rather than signals. Again, personally, I think any paranormal/unexplained phenomenon would use a spectrum that we can not yet detect. I.e. light/gravitational waves. Hence, would analogue devices have more chance of absorbing these potential waves?

Just a personal theory, I would like to hear your theories and arguments

Drew

1. What does it mean that analogue equipment picks up "waves" rather than "signals" as opposed to digital equipment?  Can you explain?  Do you think film based cameras record something called "waves" when they take photograph whereas digital cameras record something called a "signal" when they take a photograph? I don't understand at all what you're getting at here.

2. If paranormal phenomena use a spectrum that we can't detect, then it makes no difference whether or not your equipment is analogue or digital.  Either we have equipment that can detect it or we don't.

3. Light waves are definitely a spectrum we can detect.  It's how our eyes work. That's basically the definition of light, the part of the electromagnetic spectrum that we can detect without any sort of recording equipment such as that used to detect gamma rays, X-rays, UV radiation, infrared radiation, microwaves, radio waves, etc.  Also, gravitational waves are detectable.  They were recorded by the LIGO experiment.  It was pretty big news earlier this year.

4. Recording equipment is generally neither purely analogue or digital.  The difference between an "analogue recording" and a "digital recording" can be as simple as how the recording is stored.  Is it stored as an analogue signal on a magnetic tape?  As a WAV file on a flash drive?  Either way, them microphone that recorded the audio might be the exact same piece of equipment that picked the exact same sound signal.

Can you explain in your own words what you think the difference between a "wave" and a "signal" is and why an analogue device would pick up one and a digital device would pick up the other?  And what the difference is between analogue and digital recordings/electronics/etc. If you took a microphone and attached it to a recording device that outputted what the microphone picked up as an analogue signal on a magnetic tape like a compact cassette tape, and took the same microphone and attached it to a recording device that outputted what the microphone device picked up as a digital WAV file on a flash drive, what do you think the essential difference would be?  Would one recording be "waves" and the other "signals" (whatever you might mean by that)?  Would they sound essentially different?

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, coolguy said:

analogue recorders are not really good for evps,because u also reocrod tape drag and stuff with digital all u get is a nice clean sound

A cheap audio recorder with a cruddy cheap mono microphone isn't going to get you "nice clean sound" just because it dumps the final recording as a WAV file on a flash drive as opposed to an analogue recording on a magnetic tape.  Also, tape drag is only an issue for tape that has been repeatedly used to the point of being stretched and distorting the recording.

A couple of evenings ago I was out with some family members for a drive and we ended up taking a walk along a beach when we heard the weirdest sound.  A strange low whistling coming from the sky that came and went and changed pitch repeatedly.  I switched my digital camera into video mode to record it.  When I got home and played it back, all I could hear was a combination of wind and sea.  Not the slightest hint of the weird sound we could all hear and which really freaked out a couple of the people there.  No "nice clean sound" on my digital recording device because it's got a crappy cheap microphone built into it.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 1