Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman found dead after month in an elevator

Still Waters

A Chinese woman died after being trapped in an elevator for a month because maintenance workers shut off the power supply after failing to properly check if anyone was inside, state media reported Sunday.

Workers came to repair a malfunctioning elevator in the northern city of Xi'an on January 30, Beijing Youth Daily cited local authorities as saying.

The crew found the elevator stuck between the 10th and 11th floors, shouted to ask if anyone was there, and cut the power, it said.

The workers left for the week-long Lunar New Year holiday and did not return until March 1.

https://uk.news.yaho...1153.html?nhp=1

• Like 1

Dang, that's horrible. :cry:

• Like 3

Poor woman, Can't imagine what she went through, Sad to think she didn't seem to have anybody who realised she was missing.

• Like 4

I tell you, If I ever go to China I am not getting in an elevator, Seems you'll either be crushed to death horribly by one or left stranded in one for weeks on end, What is their problem?

• Like 1

Thats it ...... I never liked them before , but now < ugggh!>

That is so frightening. The office building I currently work in has this really old, slow moving elevator that terrifies me. I always take the stairs because I am scared of being trapped in that thing!

• Like 2

Maybe they should train and retrain people they hire for maintenance workers test them and fire the slackers . This act of failing to do their job is Nonsensical .

• Like 1

The Lunar New Year migration in China is the biggest movement of human beings every year ... this is negligence on the extreme end of the scale,

Police ruled out any foul play but concluded her death was caused by gross negligence on the part of the maintenance crew in a case of involuntary manslaughter, the government said.

The elevator apparently became stuck between the 10th and 11th floors of the building on January 30, the Beijing Times said.

Servicemen called to deal with the broken cable banged on the door, but when they heard no response they cut off power to the elevator and told residents to use a different lift, the officials said.

• Like 1

How tragic. :(

I guess the power to the internal emergency call button/alarm was shut off too.

How could they have not done an internal check to make sure it was empty before leaving it for a month? Poor thinking, training and regulations probably.

• Like 1

I thought this was so sad when I read it earlier today.

Perhaps this is what happens when the government limits everyone to one kid, or actively discourages having kids? No one is there to take care of you, or miss you.

• Like 1

I thought this was so sad when I read it earlier today.

Perhaps this is what happens when the government limits everyone to one kid, or actively discourages having kids? No one is there to take care of you, or miss you.

I didn't realise that includes making friends.

What is it with people these days.. Does every worker has some sort of hand book to obey by. Since they don't have common sense

• Like 1

what's even more surprising is that no one on that building heard the woman yelling for help!

Absolute horrible way to go.

When they were knocking and asking if anyone was in there, she was probably too afraid to answer.

I also feel for these repair men. Tough thing to live with.

• Like 1

As I said earlier, it was a very tragic story.

I'm wondering if there would have been a way to escape somehow, if someone like MacGyver had found themselves in there...

• Like 1

My fear of elevators just went up!

• Like 1

As I said earlier, it was a very tragic story.

I'm wondering if there would have been a way to escape somehow, if someone like MacGyver had found themselves in there...

The elevators on TV always have a trap door in the roof. Maybe her elevator was a Chinese knock off however.

The elevators on TV always have a trap door in the roof. Maybe her elevator was a Chinese knock off however.

A trap door is not much help when you can't reach it and you're in the dark.

I was last one working late and didn't think about when I got on company elevator. It was an old one that the janitor would turn off each night. Being Friday I thought I was trapped until 6am Monday. I was between floors thinking how embarrassing because I will go to bathroom! I didn't have a cell phone since they were the radio type back then. Alarm didn't work and neither did the phone when the lights went out.

I got out though, by prying doors open, there was enough space to jump down to next floor. It took me over an hour to even be able to open doors. Adrenaline kick and desperation. I considered myself lucky but never took the elevator again except during the mornings.

This poor woman is all I can say. I'm sure she tried whatever she could after she got rid of the surprise and confusion. I imagine it would be enough to kill a person with a bad heart even if she wasn't trapped so long.

• Like 2

The elevators on TV always have a trap door in the roof.

Yes, I was thinking about that, and wondering if there would have been a way to use clothing to tie onto something and make a loop to stick a foot in and step up to the roof with, then you could feel around for the door and get up on top of the elevator, and pry open the doors on the next floor above to escape...

I got out though, by prying doors open, there was enough space to jump down to next floor. It took me over an hour to even be able to open doors. Adrenaline kick and desperation. I considered myself lucky but never took the elevator again except during the mornings.

This gives me the thought that every elevator should have a crowbar as well as a phone in that little panel on the wall. So if anyone does get trapped... Say acting stupid in a fire situation, and the elevator gets locked down.... Then they can more easily pry the doors open.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

This gives me the thought that every elevator should have a crowbar as well as a phone in that little panel on the wall. So if anyone does get trapped... Say acting stupid in a fire situation, and the elevator gets locked down.... Then they can more easily pry the doors open.

Only thing there is that with one in every elevator, it wouldn't be long before people would be using it when they shouldn't be, and ending up getting cut in half when the safety interlock fails and the elevator moves unexpectedly.

• Like 1