Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists discover Banksy’s true identity

Still Waters

For 20 years, the identity of notorious street artist Banksy has been one of the art world's best-kept secrets. But now, thanks to some pretty bonkers sleuthing by British scientists at Queen Mary University, that secret has been revealed.

The research, which was published in the Journal of Spatial Science, was finally released after a clash with the pseudonymous graffiti artist's street team.

It found that Banksy is most likely a man by the name of Robin Gunningham from Bristol, England.

http://www.techly.co...nksys-identity/

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

If Robin Gunningham has any sense and a flare for the dramatic, he should cryptically and ambiguously deny it.

• Like 1

If he really is banksy I see a faked death in the near future. :)

Journal of Spatial Science... huh, you learn something new everyday.

This has been known for some time I should add. It's likely but not definitive at this point.

Maybe he can change his real name to a symbol and call himself the artist formerly known as Banksy.

Prince did that ages ago, I am still confused about it all.

Edited by DeeSember
  • Like 2

His identity has been 'known' or strongly suspected since 2008

Banksy's name and identity remain unknown, but a commonly cited 2008 Mail on Sunday investigation of several former schoolmates and associates stated that he is believed to be Robin Gunningham, a former pupil at the public Bristol Cathedral School. This suggestion was corroborated in 2016 by a study of the locations in which Banksy's art has been found, which found that the incidence of Banksy's works correlated with the known movements of Gunningham.

There has also been speculation that Banksy is a woman, or that Banksy is a team of seven artists.[118] In October 2014 an internet hoax circulated that Banksy had been arrested and his identity revealed.[119] It has been stated that the reason for this secrecy is that graffiti is a crime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy#Identity

Even I knew that Banksy was from Bristol! That's where he started his artwork.

(PS: "pretty bonkers sleuthing" is one of the best things I've read on here! Kudos)

• Like 1

Maybe Banksy should grafitti this blokes house with the phrase "ohh no he isn't!".

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

What Still Waters says is true and interesting.

I observed closely some photos and videos of Bankys and I recognized some details matching with Robin Gunningham

• 6 months later...

I don't even care about that.