Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waspie_Dwarf

Cold Atom Laboratory Doing Cool Research

On a sun-drenched hill in Southern California's San Gabriel Mountains, researchers are making progress on an experimental facility that could create the coldest known place in the universe.

The Cold Atom Laboratory (CAL), developed at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, will probe the wonders of quantum physics when it launches to the International Space Station. The CAL facility recently hit a milestone of making an ultra-cold quantum gas with potassium, a high-tech feat that puts it on track for launch next year. The planned flight to space is in August 2017.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

NASA Wants to Create the Coolest Spot in the Universe

This summer, an ice chest-sized box will fly to the International Space Station, where it will create the coolest spot in the universe.

Inside that box, lasers, a vacuum chamber and an electromagnetic "knife" will be used to cancel out the energy of gas particles, slowing them until they're almost motionless. This suite of instruments is called the Cold Atom Laboratory (CAL), and was developed by NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. CAL is in the final stages of assembly at JPL, ahead of a ride to space this August on SpaceX CRS-12.

Its instruments are designed to freeze gas atoms to a mere billionth of a degree above absolute zero. That's more than 100 million times colder than the depths of space.

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 2

It's amazing to me that at some level the very instrumentation of the experiment doesn't lend some heat to the project, but this stuff is way above my pay grade. Still it's interesting stuff. If the universe were to expand forever and suffer what I believe is known as a "heat death," would the universe in time uniformly reach absolute zero or is that more of a theoretical number that can be approached but never actually attained?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sundew said:

It's amazing to me that at some level the very instrumentation of the experiment doesn't lend some heat to the project, but this stuff is way above my pay grade. Still it's interesting stuff. If the universe were to expand forever and suffer what I believe is known as a "heat death," would the universe in time uniformly reach absolute zero or is that more of a theoretical number that can be approached but never actually attained?

It seems as if not only can absolute zero be attained but it can also be surpassed!

Crazy I know but you might find some interesting facts Here .

It makes me hypothesize,  is all matter in the universe actually being compelled towards an absolute negative mass? So instead of dark energy pulling us apart, negative energy is attracting us? A negative space so strong there is no escape?

Is that what we can call an area empty of any movement.. absolute negative space?

That's how I envisage the edge of the universe to be.

The universe has been measured to be expanding, even accelerating, the surface of it's boundary grows in light seconds at 300,000km/p/s.

Therefore, in it's simplest state the universe is light photons entering the void.

The 'void' into which we slip is absolute negative space. 

Perhaps then, as long as there is darkness the universe will continue to shine onwards forever.

but why ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

but why ...

If you'd have read the article you'd know why.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 8:03 AM, Merc14 said:

If you'd have read the article you'd know why.  :rolleyes:

was a different type of 'why'. Under the pretext of understanding physics and space better, we create chemical proprieties that do not occur in universe... why 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

was a different type of 'why'. Under the pretext of understanding physics and space better, we create chemical proprieties that do not occur in universe... why 

Why? BECAUSE they don't occur naturally in the universe, It's a a thing called learning. That's no pretext of understanding, it's experimentation which is the very basis of understanding.

You really don't understand science at all do you?

7 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Why? BECAUSE they don't occur naturally in the universe, It's a a thing called learning. That's no pretext of understanding, it's experimentation which is the very basis of understanding.

You really don't understand science at all do you?

Like you do ... this kind of science isn't truly science. its alchemy 

21 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

Like you do ... this kind of science isn't truly science. its alchemy 

You have said a lot of stupid things here but this one takes the cake.  Not only don't you understand modern science, you are ignorant of ancient science.  

• Like 1

keep dreaming to green horses spoiled on the walls....