Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

being visited by dead loved ones in a dream?

jayinwww

My step dad passed away a few days ago, and last night I had a vivid dream that he was in my house and I saw him walking down my stairs into the basement. I woke up right away as it freaked me out enough to wake me up physically. A few things I noticed was this.

- He had his back to me.

- He was looking around the place just like how he would act if he had never been in a place before, but he didn't turn his head enough for me to see any part of his face.

- He looked how he would have looked 20 years ago, also moving like he would 20 years ago.

- After I woke up 10 seconds later my son woke up crying, hes almost 2 years old.

I was reading on forums of people being visited by loved ones, and how loved ones were very comforting. I didn't experience this. I came around to the stares in my dream to see him there and I was freaked out in my dream enough to wake me up physically. Hes never been to my house while he was alive, I live on the other side of my country. I don't fully understand the dream I don't know if it was good or bad. When he was looking around in my dream while walking down the stares was very typical of how he would have acted 20 years ago. He always liked to look around and that dream freaked me out because he was acting how he would of acted if had actually came here for the first time.

I don't know if I am going to see him again in my dreams or not, I guess we will see.

Edited by jayinwww
  • Like 2

Maybe it was him and he was just as baffled as you were, not knowing where he was? Why so fearful?

Maybe it was him and he was just as baffled as you were, not knowing where he was? Why so fearful?

I just wasn't expecting it, it seemed to real. I think next time if he comes back I won't be so freaked out lol

It's not just loved ones that visit.

I am a combat vet, and I am still visited by ghosts in my dreams all the time, and have been since the 1970s, but they certainly are not loved ones.

• Like 1

It's not just loved ones that visit.

I am a combat vet, and I am still visited by ghosts in my dreams all the time, and have been since the 1970s, but they certainly are not loved ones.

Why do you think they visit you?

My step dad passed away a few days ago, and last night I had a vivid dream that he was in my house and I saw him walking down my stairs into the basement. I woke up right away as it freaked me out enough to wake me up physically. A few things I noticed was this.

- He had his back to me.

- He was looking around the place just like how he would act if he had never been in a place before, but he didn't turn his head enough for me to see any part of his face.

- He looked how he would have looked 20 years ago, also moving like he would 20 years ago.

- After I woke up 10 seconds later my son woke up crying, hes almost 2 years old.

I was reading on forums of people being visited by loved ones, and how loved ones were very comforting. I didn't experience this. I came around to the stares in my dream to see him there and I was freaked out in my dream enough to wake me up physically. Hes never been to my house while he was alive, I live on the other side of my country. I don't fully understand the dream I don't know if it was good or bad. When he was looking around in my dream while walking down the stares was very typical of how he would have acted 20 years ago. He always liked to look around and that dream freaked me out because he was acting how he would of acted if had actually came here for the first time.

I don't know if I am going to see him again in my dreams or not, I guess we will see.

Don't be frightened. This is common. After my father died he visited me so much, I had to tell him to stop because it was disturbing me. Try asking him questions next time.

• Like 1

This is an interesting comment, imo. It has occured to me with some strange happenings shortly after the passing of a loved one, that it might be that the recently dead don't yet realise they have died. I'm sure plenty will scoff at that, but I don't !

This is an interesting comment, imo. It has occured to me with some strange happenings shortly after the passing of a loved one, that it might be that the recently dead don't yet realise they have died. I'm sure plenty will scoff at that, but I don't !

And you shouldn't. I have a feeling it's quit common. Some are probably not ready to let go yet even if they know they have passed. Don't forget we call to them also. Even if unconscious of it.

Edited by White Crane Feather

Sometimes they come to warn of impending doom. Also, during a vivid dream, I asked my mom to come bearing gifts, but she said, "I don't have anymore money for you," and after that, dreams of her have stopped. I received the same reply from a so-called "dear friend," but I think it was more of a farewell, and that I will never meet this being again in other lifetimes or realities -- a closure, so to speak.

Just sharing.

• Like 1

It's interesting that I have dreamt about both of my loved ones last night and got my answer, regarding why they stopped visiting me.

Perhaps your stepfather was just checking up on you and at the same, telling you that he is still around. Or, he wanted to be where youthful energy or innocence was present, where all cares in the world still hasn't tainted it. Did you ask your son why he was crying?

Edited by Ehrman Pagels 1
  • Like 1

I had a cousin who killed himself several years back. Messed me up big time for like a year. I had several dreams about him. In some of the dreams I didn't know he was dead an we just hung out. Some of the dreams Id figure out half way through that he was dead and Id freak out. The last dream I had with him, I was walking down the street and there was a house with a friend of mine sitting on the porch. I was really happy to see him, but I had to do something (cant remember what) so I told my friend Id be right back. Suddenly from a window in that same house, my cousin pops his head out an calls my name. I turn around and see him, and for the first time, I knew right away that he was dead. So I start walking up the stairs an reach out my hand to touch his face. As I reach out to him I say "Chuck is that really you, are you really there?" so he says to me "am I really here?" and then he just fades away.

I know that dream would mess most people up, but I was left with the feeling that he was telling me he was ok, an to stop stressing that he was dead. I haven't dreamt of him since. An I stopped mourning that very day. That was like 15 years ago. I don't know if he actually came to me, or if it was just dreams. But I was definitely left with the feeling that he actually came to me.

• 7 months later...

On 4/3/2016 at 3:39 PM, Ehrman Pagels 1 said:

It's interesting that I have dreamt about both of my loved ones last night and got my answer, regarding why they stopped visiting me.

Perhaps your stepfather was just checking up on you and at the same, telling you that he is still around. Or, he wanted to be where youthful energy or innocence was present, where all cares in the world still hasn't tainted it. Did you ask your son why he was crying?

Something woke him up, right at that exact time. Which was unusual because the is a good sleeper. Once hes down for the night hes out until 600am at least.

On 4/4/2016 at 11:22 AM, preacherman76 said:

I had a cousin who killed himself several years back. Messed me up big time for like a year. I had several dreams about him. In some of the dreams I didn't know he was dead an we just hung out. Some of the dreams Id figure out half way through that he was dead and Id freak out. The last dream I had with him, I was walking down the street and there was a house with a friend of mine sitting on the porch. I was really happy to see him, but I had to do something (cant remember what) so I told my friend Id be right back. Suddenly from a window in that same house, my cousin pops his head out an calls my name. I turn around and see him, and for the first time, I knew right away that he was dead. So I start walking up the stairs an reach out my hand to touch his face. As I reach out to him I say "Chuck is that really you, are you really there?" so he says to me "am I really here?" and then he just fades away.

I know that dream would mess most people up, but I was left with the feeling that he was telling me he was ok, an to stop stressing that he was dead. I haven't dreamt of him since. An I stopped mourning that very day. That was like 15 years ago. I don't know if he actually came to me, or if it was just dreams. But I was definitely left with the feeling that he actually came to me.

That's an amazing story, I really enjoyed that. Perhaps it was him after all. Suicide is not the way to go, it's too bad it happens.

• Like 1

Just an update, I never received any more dreams with my Step Father. I guess another reason why I was freaked out is because we never really got along. I hadn't spoken to him in years prior to his death. But sometimes I think, "wow, he's really gone."

• Like 1