Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Friendly shadow person?

Timith

I've just woken up, roughly an hour ago. So this is all quite fresh.

I've always been a keen dreamer. Experimenting with lucid dreaming a few years ago, keeping a dream diary etc.. But today was my first 'sleep paralysis' while speaking with a 'shadow person'.

Now I've done my research into this before I posted. Looked up other accounts, information. But I can't find what I'm looking for so any info would help.

I was 'awake', paralysed, with full knowledge of a 'shadow person' standing next to my bed. However, we were engaged in conversation, I don't remember about what, but the last phrase was an idea. I remember it but don't wish to share it.

On that note I calmly asked the shadow to leave, 'could you leave as I'm trying to get up now', and so it did. I heard it walk away, footsteps around my house, a small red light shon on my door as it disappeared, from another source, which I assumed was from a charger but there was no charger.

As I began to try to move I was moving my arm but not. I held my hand in front of my face being fully aware my arm was still by my side. Just the impression and feeling of my hand in front of my face remained.

I came to. Sat up, and turned on the light to fully cleanse myself.

But I keep getting goose bumps since (to be honest that's cos it was a new experience I think).

So thoughts?

I read you shouldn't speak with 'shadow people'. But I was having a conversation. And it calmly left when I asked it to. Havnt read anything like that anywhere else.

Ideas?

• Like 2

Seeing things can be a result of hypnogagic hallucinations. It kinda goes hand-in-hand with sleep paralysis.

Ah, you're killin me by not sharing the conversation.

Agreed

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't scared no, I was calm. It was only after when I was awake walking around my house I began to feel uneasy about what happened.

And the conversation was about my life and future.

• Like 1

In fact I can't even say when I first saw it, I first became conciously aware of it at the end of the conversation when I told it to leave because I needed to wake up.

• Like 1

Did some research on it but still doesn't explain the disparities between my experience and most cases.

There's not a lot to explain. You were OK with the sleep paralysis, so you were OK with the accompanying hallucination.

Why on earth wouldn't you speak with a "shadow person"?

• Like 3

I read you shouldn't speak with 'shadow people'. But I was having a conversation. And it calmly left when I asked it to. Havnt read anything like that anywhere else.

Ideas?

Hi,

A friend of mine shared this story with me.

Hi everyone,

Something interesting happened to me earlier this week. This past Monday I was traveling to California for work. I got to my hotel late that night and went straight to bed. I fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Around 3-5 am that night, I was woken up by someone. Except, there was no one else in my hotel room. I was traveling alone. But someone mentally woke me up. I opened my eyes, lifted my head and looked directly to the left-front side of the bed.

Standing at the edge of my bed, within arms reach of me, was a tall dark shadow of what looked like a man. He had no features and was looking right at me. This sounds extremely creepy and scary, but I felt nothing but love, warmth and peace radiating from. It was a wonderful experience.

He soon disappeared but before leaving he gave me a message. There were no words spoken between us. I'm not sure he could make any sounds even if he ran into something. He sent me a thought block telepathically. As a psychic with some telepathic abilities as well, this felt very natural to me.

What he sent me was advice. Really good advice. He then disappeared. I repeated what he said a few times in my head so I would remember it in the morning. I then put my head down, still feeling warm, calm, loved, adored, and absolutely wonderful and I quickly fell asleep.

When I woke up, I of course forgot the advice! That's what I get for not writing it down! All I remembered was that it was really good advice and I racked my brain for about 10 minutes trying to recall it before I decided to let it rest and get on with my day. As I was getting ready, I hoped he would come visit me again that night to share those wonderful feelings and repeat the message he gave me.

I headed off to work and didn't think much of the tall dark shadow man until later that afternoon when I mentioned it to John. As I was sharing my experience with John I again hoped he would show up again that night.

I was getting a bit bored at work since I had finished my top priorities for the day and needed a break. I would normally call it a day but I was working out of a different office with leaders in my organization sitting near me and I didn't want to give a bad impression. Through my boredom, I got the idea to look up "tall dark man" and "tall dark shadow man" on Google.

I was very surprised to see that there are countless people who have seen what are called "shadow people." However, the difference is that everyone else's experiences were very negative ones. The person felt fear, dread and very bad vibes from their shadow person. The shadow usually disappeared or ran away the moment it was noticed by a human. It seems no one has ever communicated with one.

The experiences I read online sounded scary and freaked me out a little bit and I started to wonder if I wanted to see my shadow man again that night after all! But I also still remembered all the positive energy he sent me so it was easy for me to let go.

Later that night a friend of mine called to say hi. I really wanted to talk to someone about the previous night so, even though I was worried my friend would write off my experience as a figment of my imagination, I told him about my experience.

Before I could even finish my story - before I could even finish the term "tall shadow" he interrupted me by saying, "Oh, you saw the shadow people." As it turns out, my friend has seen shadow people all his life. He said he has seen 100s of them over the years. He also said that he's never heard of anyone who saw one as long as I did, had a good experience or communicated with one.

He also told me how to keep them away if that was what I wanted. He has never tried this himself but heard that if you put coffee powder/grinds around you, the shadow people can't get close to you. He suggested I put it around my bed unless I wanted to see them again. I chose not to because I did want to see him again, but I haven't seen my shadow guy since.

My thoughts at the time about shadow people were that they are from another dimension or they are traveling to our present from the future.

The next morning, I decided to read/telepathically talk with my shadow man. It was a great discussion and I learned a lot about my shadow guy!

He isn't from another dimension or the future. In fact, he is a regular person like us. He just likes to have some fun at night by visiting people and traveling to different locations. It's just his psychic ability like clairvoyance and precognition are some of mine. Otherwise his life is normal like ours. He goes to work and goes home.

He isn't tall or skinny like his shadow form was. He was short to average in height, Asian, and had an average build. He doesn't live in the California city I was staying in but he seemed to live within a 10-50 mile radius of it.

He felt love, comfort and warmth towards me because he felt a connection between us and that was what he was looking for that night. He wanted to visit someone he could have a connection with and that's how he landed with me.

He feels and says we are the same. This is because we are both psychic. This is why he is able to wake me up with his mind and communicate with me. He told me I can also travel the way he does if I want and choose to.

He gave me advice that night because he could feel I needed it. He said I was supposed to remember it the first time he told me (oops) but he repeated it again for me.

His advice was that I need to trust that the universe is conspiring to support me, not thwart me. I think this was in relation to work and life in general.

He told me he could visit me again if I wanted and if we built that connection, but otherwise we probably wouldn't see each other again. I haven't seen him since. I'm sure he's off visiting other places!

This was an interesting and wonderful experience for sure. I hope this helps anyone who has questions about shadow people, or at least the kind that I saw. And I hope this helps others see that you can have positive experiences with them, not just negative ones.

Sincerely,

txs

I agree with eight bits. Why not speak to "shadow person". There is a lot to learn by doing it.

John

• Like 3

That helps quite a bit. It did seem like I was having a normal conversation with him/it before I started to become concious and asked it to leave.

The explanation about being psychic and being able to do it myself would explain the moving of my arm without physically moving it.

It's a nice explanation and seems more plausible to me than any others.

Thanks. I'll try to enduce this experience again.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 3/25/2016 at 4:29 PM, preacherman76 said:

Agreed

Jusr tell us, plleeeeeeese!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a shadow person visit me while I was aware and sleeping. He was at the end of my bed, but he was whispering obscenities. I fell back into dreamland and then came to (partially), but he was still there, saying horrible things. 

Edited by SweetestFriend
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had interactions with shadow people,  none of which have been negative.

I feel that negative aspect is a false narrative to stop people from communication with these entities.

On 03/25/2017 at 6:48 PM, SweetestFriend said:

I had a shadow person visit me while I was aware and sleeping. He was at the end of my bed, but he was whispering obscenities. I fell back into dreamland and then came to (partially), but he was still there, saying horrible things. 

Maybe that's an immature shadow person being a tool.

19 hours ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

I've had interactions with shadow people,  none of which have been negative.

I feel that negative aspect is a false narrative to stop people from communication with these entities.

No it isn't a false narrative. If you cower before them, they will be frightening. 

So everyone who has had bad experiences with them is are cowards?

13 hours ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

So everyone who has had bad experiences with them is are cowards?

I didn't say that. I don't consider myself a coward, yet the first time I saw a shadow person I don't think I've ever been more scared in my adult life. The spot I was laying in was drenched in sweat.

My point is, that shadow had no interest in communicating with me. It just wanted to terrify me. Even worse it wanted me to believe it was going to hurt someone I love. This is a fact, not a false narrative. 

• Like 1

I have heard they feed on energy,  specifically negative such as fear and anger.

I've always oozed those with little to no prompting so I guess it makes sense my experiences have been less jarring than others have had.

But what if they're like people,  some being down right rotten and some being generally benevolent while others are somewhere between those extremes.

16 minutes ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

I have heard they feed on energy,  specifically negative such as fear and anger.

I've always oozed those with little to no prompting so I guess it makes sense my experiences have been less jarring than others have had.

But what if they're like people,  some being down right rotten and some being generally benevolent while others are somewhere between those extremes.

I wish I knew. I've been wanting to have another encounter for a while. Ever since I started to understand the mind set I needed to project, with the number one rule being no fear, I haven't seen one yet. 

Ive had some interesting conversations with some other interesting beings, but no shadows. 

• Like 1

I wonder if they're vampiric of all energies,  like some sort of parasite.

I've encountered them with no fear in me at all before though and they started draining batteries,  lots of them until we agreed to stop bothering them. This was at an old masonic lodge and half of the group I was there with didn't get the memo on the deal so the shadows started bang on things around them trying to be intimidating.

May I inquire as to what being you've had correspondence with?

Edited by Tacoavenger17
to add a question
  • Like 1

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Timith said:

I've always been a keen dreamer. Experimenting with lucid dreaming a few years ago, keeping a dream diary etc.. But today was my first 'sleep paralysis' while speaking with a 'shadow person'.

Now I've done my research into this before I posted. Looked up other accounts, information. But I can't find what I'm looking for so any info would help.

I was 'awake', paralysed, with full knowledge of a 'shadow person' standing next to my bed. However, we were engaged in conversation, I don't remember about what, but the last phrase was an idea. I remember it but don't wish to share it.

On that note I calmly asked the shadow to leave, 'could you leave as I'm trying to get up now', and so it did. I heard it walk away, footsteps around my house, a small red light shon on my door as it disappeared, from another source, which I assumed was from a charger but there was no charger.

As I began to try to move I was moving my arm but not. I held my hand in front of my face being fully aware my arm was still by my side. Just the impression and feeling of my hand in front of my face remained.

But I keep getting goose bumps since (to be honest that's cos it was a new experience I think).

So thoughts?

Ideas?

Speaking to self is same for shadow follow you and other times leads by source of lights

One day see two shadow by two light illimune

The one forward me is already in and here

You split hand from side and hand on mind

On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Timith said:

So thoughts?

Ideas?

Speaking to self is same for shadow again and thus you kmow how your hand was in two cookie jars at once. Caught cold dead to rites (sic)

So shadow like hand show told you us that we are split now. It is as easy as pudding, your hand here there do opposite now of there here [they're hear] [ kelly ann told you in 1980s]

Now stop and go for ufo is personal motif as just as all above of english love design us...

My dad saw em in dream before popping up in magazines and pop cult.

They kept looking and laughing at baby me next to dad.

He wondered if reason was they do not procreate [J2S said about the wife who remarried all the brothers who died in line]

Who will she be married to in paradise?

In heaven like angels of no gender said.

So me and you too have reached gate.

Now wake we need to make funny.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tacoavenger17 said:

I wonder if they're vampiric of all energies,  like some sort of parasite.

I've encountered them with no fear in me at all before though and they started draining batteries,  lots of them until we agreed to stop bothering them. This was at an old masonic lodge and half of the group I was there with didn't get the memo on the deal so the shadows started bang on things around them trying to be intimidating.

May I inquire as to what being you've had correspondence with?

There have been a few. There was a older lady that waited for me and was standing right next to me every time I went into an altered state. This went on for like 3 months. She would look like she was mad at me, I think trying to scare me. Soon as she realized I wasn't afraid, we would then have polite conversations. That was really strange. 

Then I had an encounter with an old Indian warrior looking guy as well. That one was really strange to.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but it is the only place I can find with multiple friendly shadow person stories. When I was 15 years old, I saw a particular shadow person on the regular. I was sleeping on the couch in the living room every night (my bedroom was not some place i liked to spend time in for a myriad of reasons at that point in my life), stressed and depressed (for many of the same reasons i didn't sleep in my room plus some), and I always had an incredibly difficult time falling asleep(since birth). 
      One night, as I lay wide awake on the couch, listening to my heart beat hard in my ears, i feel a presence near me. I held still and held my breath, feeling for where the presence was coming from and traced it to a corner of the room that was next to the foot of the couch. At first i just looked at it via my peripheral vision the best I could (the room was mostly dark,but an outside dusk-to-dawn light cast a dim haze of vision to night adjusted eyes). That corner seemed to have a dark misty shadow, darker than anywhere else i could perceive. I didn't move for a while, afraid of what it was or that i was losing my mind. Nothing happened. When I tried to look at it, the shadow became less dark and it felt like the presence had faded away. I convinced myself that I was just exhausted and on edge.
     The next night I had forgotten about what I had assumed was just another wonky night of sleep and was much more preoccupied with self loathing and helplessness, sobbing into my pillow sometime after everyone else had falled asleep in the house. Then I felt the presence again, and my sobbing stopped as I held still again to try and get a better sense of the presence. Same place as before. I kept telling myself "it's just a shadow. it's night time. it's just a shadow." Same as before, no matter how long I stayed still, I felt the presence remain where it was. I sat up and didn't look over at the corner, still just feeling for it in my core. It didn't feel malicious or friendly, but curious. Like it was just watching me out of curiousity. I asked out loud, "what do you want?" No answer. I thought,"well, i've finally flipped my lid." I laid back down, still not looking in the corner. I stopped speaking out loud and switched to mental speech, afraid to wake the house and assuming it was in my head anyway. I asked "who are you?" It didn't answer. It felt like the presence was curious about my sadness. I don't know how to explain what that feels like, but it was just the impression that was coming to me. So i turned on my back and stared at the corner. It stayed dark this time. I stared unblinkingly into the darkness, probing for any sign of a physical being. Every once in a while I would catch what seemed like the edge of a form, but nothing definitive. I don't remember all of the things i thought to myself as i stared at that dark spot, but I did stare for  a while. I did a lot of questioning of my sanity, asking myself if i thought this experience was real, with occasional questions to try and get a response to confirm. Still it was just like we were staring at one another, trying to understand each other.  At one point I remember thinking," I don't even care." I turned onto my side, and stared at the recliner and stone fireplace across from me in the darkness, though not as dark as the corner i had been staring at. I felt exhausted and sad and like giving up. That is when i felt the presence shift closer. Nothing physicallymoved near me. no weight. Just, it felt closer.  Simultaneously it felt....compassionate? I rolled over and looked back and it was inches from my feet. I felt a bit freaked outby the closeness and a change in what i had seen, but the empathy/compassion feeling exuding from it kept me from moving or freaking out.  I think i thought spoke to it a bit about why i was sad and my fears and my anxieties. I never got any words from it. It just kept sending that supportive compassionate feeling at me.  After I said a lot, I got drowsy and fell asleep, it still at my feet. 
     I didn't see it again for a few weeks, maybe a few months. It was so long ago that some of the exact details are faded. Even the above memories are the closest i can remember as how it happened. Anyway, I had brushed off the experience as a mini mental-fugue and wasn't really worried about it. But one night it came again. I wasn't as distressed, but there was never a time where i wasn't miserable in those years. So i was ruminating in my thoughts as i couldn't sleep and i felt it again. This time it was hovering over me where the wall and the roof met (the couch being directly against the wall). I didn't feel afraid. I still wasn't sure if it was real or just my head, but i didn't really care anymore. I felt comforted by seeing it. I remember thinking "Hello, friend." and i felt like it was giving the same message back, without words as always.  I'm not sure i remember much else from that 2nd encounter. It blends with a number of experiences that happened over a year or so until I finally moved out of the house at 16 years old to escape my living situation. All of those times after the first one would be more or less the same set of experiences with variety in the specific details. I would sense the presence, i would find the dark mist and try to see my friend. sometimes i would talk about my troubles. Sometimes I tried to ask it questions about itself and get a sense of it (and to give it a chance to talk too. it's not all about me!), but i never got anything about who it was or what it was or where it was from. Sometimes I felt like it had a mood of its own that it was working through and it didn't have a lot of space for listening, so I would just sit with it and send positive energy to it. It always felt friendly to me though. Its mood was never directed at me in any way other than communicating "i'm having a bad day." sort of a vibe.

Once I left that house the final time, I never saw it again. I don't remember if i told it I was leaving. Its likely, given that was all i spoke about to my friends.  Still, who knows if it ever understood any specific words or meanings from me, or if it just  got a sense of my emotions like I did from it. Or if it was just a mental hallucination to cope with traumatic living situations. I had assumed it was the latter for years until I came across the fact other people had seen shadow people too! But everyone else's shadow person is always negative or indifferent so I stopped looking into it (and i'm not super into super natural stuff as being definitively real). Today, a childhood friend and I were discussing a couple of weird supernatural feeling experiences we had and this came back to me after years of not thinking about it again. That's when i found this page. I still don't know if i believe it was true separate presence of myself or not, but I do have an eternal gratitude toward it for helping me through some difficult times.  I hope one day I hear of someone else's tale that matches mine abit better and we can maybe get a better understanding of a bigger picture. 

In any case, thanks everyone for sharing your stories and perspectives. It was nice to know at least there were other nice shadow people who didn't try to eat your souls or whatever.

• Thanks 1