Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is a lack of faith disturbing?

XenoFish

lack-of-faith-disturbing.gif

This is based on a comment I made in a different thread and it's a curiosity to me. Why is the lack of faith in a god or religion perceived as such a sin? It's it some type of bias? A judgmental thing? I would like to know why some religious individuals want to pity or even insult those who do not believe. Thoughts on this?

Another side question is: Would you consider praying as a sign of a weak faith. From memory god knows your needs and will provide for those who have faith. So in my mind praying is showing a doubt in god. Thoughts on this?

• Like 9

In a fiat economy faith in the money is the only thing that empowers it with value.

I tend to believe in a more hands-off type of god, one that built the cosmos for some vague reason or perhaps a deep form of satisfaction living minds can't even begin to grasp or maybe it is just because god thought that if the universe was assembled then, eventually, somebody, somewhere would invent the taco.

And lets face it, the taco is the end-all reason for the existence of the universe, time-space, humanity, life and quantum physics.

• Like 8

I don't see it as disturbing, at least in lack of faith in the religious sense. Just means people are questioning things and thinking for themselves. Faith in general can be a positive thing though....faith that your family will always be there for you, faith in your own strength etc

• Like 5

I don't see it as disturbing, at least in lack of faith in the religious sense. Just means people are questioning things and thinking for themselves. Faith in general can be a positive thing though....faith that your family will always be there for you, faith in your own strength etc

Having faith in something tangible is very reasonable. I have faith in my co-workers, family, friends (do I even have those?), and anyone who's earned trust. However it's rather difficult to believe in any God that hasn't produced results. Spent several years practicing magick to see if there was more to all of this and I found nothing. The faith was there but the results were much lacking.

• Like 4

So...you're just a muggle, eh? ;)

Depends. I have faith in sigil magick because it produces results. Ritual magick was extremely lacking as was any prayer based system. Felt like I was just talking to myself.

• Like 2

I'd say this probably has a lot to do with it:

1 Peter 3:15

15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Last bit doesn't seem overly influential though.......

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

I'd say this probably has a lot to do with it:

1 Peter 3:15

15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Gentleness and respect part seems to always be left out.

• Like 3

Xeno

Interesting topic.

Yes, if you conspicuously march to the beat of a different drummer, then you can expect some people to look askance. Ain't fair, but seems to be the way it is.

Another side question is: Would you consider praying as a sign of a weak faith. From memory god knows your needs and will provide for those who have faith. So in my mind praying is showing a doubt in god. Thoughts on this?

I foresee some room for negotiating what you think you need, compared with what God might think. Also, as I recall, he appreciates a thank you now and then. He's only human, you know.

• Like 4

Something else that has me wondering about myself, is that I have some kind of religious ptsd.

https://valerietarico.com/2014/10/31/psychological-harms-of-christianity/

I found solace in the occult because I had no fear of anything in it. I treated entities as pathway to my subconscious. Using them as an easier means of self programming. Which is basically how a servitor works. However the baggage that christianity brought into my life has left some deep scars.

• Like 3

Omg, ur all going to hell for even looking at this topic lol I honestly think religions were made to help control the population, by control, i mean behave. Say there wasnt religion , if i killed you, the only thing id have to worry about is being caught, which alot have gotten away with murder before, but through a god that see everything and knows everything, and ur short time on this earth will be met by an eternal, burning HELL, where a devil rapes you with ur worst fears. I might just think twice, if i believed.

Well at least its the only thing positive i see in religions, that and a great money maker!

• Like 1

Put your faith in Nature and the Forces and Laws of the Universe....you won't be deceived or let down.

Only gravity will let me down. lol

• Like 3

Beats me, I grew up with an atheist father. Even when I was Christian as a kid I didn't really worry about, he was a nice guy, I figured God would take care of him.

Xeno why do you think sigil magick works and Ceremonial doesn't? I do Hoodoo and find it works more often, than I think it should. Some Pagans thought I had a lot of power and accused me of black magick and gave me the boot out of the grove. My Hoodoo teacher told me people fear what they don't understand. I guess that would go along with atheism, too. People don't understand you don't need an overseer to be a good person. I know it is off topic, but I am curious.

• Like 3

I feel bad for those who do not have faith in their lives because to me, faith = hope. I have been down that dark road where I had no hope and I don't wish to visit there ever again.

• Like 1

Xeno why do you think sigil magick works and Ceremonial doesn't? I do Hoodoo and find it works more often, than I think it should. Some Pagans thought I had a lot of power and accused me of black magick and gave me the boot out of the grove. My Hoodoo teacher told me people fear what they don't understand. I guess that would go along with atheism, too. People don't understand you don't need an overseer to be a good person. I know it is off topic, but I am curious.

To me sigil magick made my intention 'physical' it took a thought and gave it a form and shape in the physical world. This to me was like taking something out of my head and making it 'real'. While this might get into the woo woo aspect of myself. I had the most consistent results (yes I am aware of confirmation bias) that I ever had. It was like planting a seed into my deep mind, settling those same emotion I used in created the sigil further empower it. Altering my perspective of reality from the inside out.

When I did spirit based work I just never had the feel of it. Might be due to how harshly Christianity look upon 'devil worship'. A part of me rejected it.

• Like 2

I feel bad for those who do not have faith in their lives because to me, faith = hope. I have been down that dark road where I had no hope and I don't wish to visit there ever again.

I stay on that road too often. About 5 years ago I was carefree trusting my magick, then things went to hell in my life. I miss those carefree days. Wish I could get them back.

• Like 4

Something else that has me wondering about myself, is that I have some kind of religious ptsd.

https://valerietarico.com/2014/10/31/psychological-harms-of-christianity/

I found solace in the occult because I had no fear of anything in it. I treated entities as pathway to my subconscious. Using them as an easier means of self programming. Which is basically how a servitor works. However the baggage that christianity brought into my life has left some deep scars.

If the path has left you with scars, it's not for you.

I have talked to you a lot about your path and I think it's not only interesting, but unique and suited to you.

I used some of your ideas and they were of benefit.

And you weren't trying to sell me BS you helped me use my own mind and life to achieve my goal. You are humble.

You never pushed anything on me.

You have nothing to feel less then about.

If anything you need to honor the path you have found that brings out your best.

You are walking your talk X, and I am not saying this lightly.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Psychologically, faith in religion or god is comforting, but I've always taken the harder road by traveling alone. I'm self-sufficient enough and I think honest enough with myself not to have surrendered to some reassuring pie in the sky. I've tried to take care of myself properly (though not always successfully) and to respect others (though not always successfully).

I haven't experienced evidence of a loving god yet, though I've experienced some loving religious people, so faith has a positive effect on some, but not so positive on others I've known. I'm not disturbed by my lack of faith. I've refused to be intimidated by religions, which as I say can be a lonely road to travel and sometimes a bumpy one.

I value my version of objective honesty more than capitulating with some subjective belief that may have smoothed over some wayward paths, but would have made me feel dishonest about myself.

• Like 4

Americans who feel oppressed by religious propaganda, which seems a very common complaint around here, should migrate to Australia, where the only religions are football-based. Especially in Melbourne, where for some it is a cradle to grave, all consuming obsession. So bad you'd probably want to move back stateside.

Well sure if you want to redefine faith as another word with a perfectly useful definition...
  • Like 2

I stay on that road too often. About 5 years ago I was carefree trusting my magick, then things went to hell in my life. I miss those carefree days. Wish I could get them back.

I wish you hope once again in your life and I am certain you will find it. :)

• Like 2

Not for me, it works the other way.

Knowing what relgion does to get that trust from you is what I object to. And in turn, I feel bad for you. I have been down the dark road of relgion, and only saw the world for what it was when I finally let go of it. It helps one to see more than you might imagine.

• Like 3

Hey girl, great to see you posting.

I have a question, when you say you feel bad for those who do not have faith what do you mean? Do you think people can find other ways to have hope?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3