Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman dies while hunting legendary monster

UM-Bot

Roquel Bain was struck by a train while seeking a creature that is said to lure people on to the tracks.

A cross between a man, a goat and a sheep, the bizarrely named Pope Lick Monster allegedly lives underneath a Norfolk Southern Railway trestle over a small creek in Louisville, Kentucky.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...gendary-monster

• Like 2

I've always enjoyed the wild stories about the pope lick monster but this really unfurls a big pall over everything.

• Like 2

No harm in making up or passing on stories like this, is there....

• Like 1

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime"

As the article states, there was an earlier incident which very nearly led to tragedy - so why was the "paranormal tour" not closed down for safety concerns?

• Like 3

As the article states, there was an earlier incident which very nearly led to tragedy - so why was the "paranormal tour" not closed down for safety concerns?

The walk on the train trestle and the paranormal tour are not linked. These fools were in the area for one and to pass time it seems they tried to find the "monster". IMO if you're going to be stupid and walk out onto a train trestle, you get whatever is coming for you - be it train or monster.

Weren't they been informed, about being lured onto the tracks?

• Like 1

No harm in making up or passing on stories like this, is there....

I don't think there is. It's the old "heavy metal causes suicide" argument. I think it's interesting that in this particular instance.... They heard one legend, and decided to take the safe way to explore it. Then to pass time, they heard another legend and decided to take the deadly way to explore it. Had they just stuck with their Waverly tour, they would be fine today.

The walk on the train trestle and the paranormal tour are not linked. These fools were in the area for one and to pass time it seems they tried to find the "monster". IMO if you're going to be stupid and walk out onto a train trestle, you get whatever is coming for you - be it train or monster.

I'm aware of that, CoB, but it seems this tour took people out to the trestle bridge without concern of when trains were due.

It just seems to me no-one associated with the tour, or in the local authority, thought to consider the dangers of taking people out to the trestle bridge.

They went trestling like we did in college, but with a superstructure we could climb to get out of the way. Theirs apparently didn't have one.

Looks like candidates for the Darwin award to me.

• Like 4

I think the implication is that she was lured to her death by the monster.

Seems part way plausible. If there was no monster legend, would she have been walking across the bridge? Probably not.

• Like 1

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime"

The tracks weren't part of the tour. These two brilliant folks went to the tracks on their own.

I'm aware of that, CoB, but it seems this tour took people out to the trestle bridge without concern of when trains were due.

It just seems to me no-one associated with the tour, or in the local authority, thought to consider the dangers of taking people out to the trestle bridge.

I think you might be confused... The couple bought tickets to be on the tour at Waverly Hills, that was a save and legal tour. There is no tour for the bridge, in fact it's illegal trespassing to be there- no tour people knew the couple was going there or took them there, they took it upon themselves to go there, just the two of them.

• Like 1

I think you might be confused... The couple bought tickets to be on the tour at Waverly Hills, that was a save and legal tour. There is no tour for the bridge, in fact it's illegal trespassing to be there- no tour people knew the couple was going there or took them there, they took it upon themselves to go there, just the two of them.

You're right, I misread the article...D'OH!

Probably not too smart to walk on the rails of an active train line, not to mention an area of the rails that makes it hard to escape if necessary.

• Like 3

Call Pope Francis, if anyone can lick a Pope Lick Monster, then he can. All he needs is a Super Soaker Holy Water Gun.

• Like 1

Obviously the Pope Lick Monster succeeded as the woman was killed by a train. Undeniable proof!

Remind me of a guy in my town that went to a local zoo and try to make fun of a bear by poking his finger in his cage until the bear rip it off (the finger).

The 23years dude was in the local paper with his mother saying that it was the zoo's fault because he manage to climb 3 fences...

Stupid is stupid.

• Like 4

Remind me of a guy in my town that went to a local zoo and try to make fun of a bear by poking his finger in his cage until the bear rip it off (the finger).

The 23years dude was in the local paper with his mother saying that it was the zoo's fault because he manage to climb 3 fences...

Stupid is stupid.

]

That really is stupid.

Sounds like her husband played the role of the Pope Lick Monster because divorces cost to much.

• Like 1

Well It might been a lie from years to keep people out of that area because they where hiding something in that area.

How ever its hard to deduce because to many details are missing

• 5 months later...

1: The trestle is still part of an active rail system and it is illegal for anyone to be on the tracks.

2: Authorities have placed chain link fencing panels along the sides of the trestle to prevent anyone from climbing up the trestle and onto the tracks. Alternatively, this would prevent anyone from climbing over the edge of the trestle to escape an oncoming train.

3: Your average Joe Blow Schmuckatelly is NOT going to be able to hold onto the side of a trestle while a train is running over it unless the "train" is just an engine deadheading back to the yards. I've been under a trestle as a train went through and you can feel the ground vibrating under your feet.

Conclusion: This story has been repeated in print and verbally for years. If such an occurrence did happen, then those involved are idiots for attempting to discover the monster by walking across the trestle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Lick_Monster

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Toombes said:

1: The trestle is still part of an active rail system and it is illegal for anyone to be on the tracks.

2: Authorities have placed chain link fencing panels along the sides of the trestle to prevent anyone from climbing up the trestle and onto the tracks. Alternatively, this would prevent anyone from climbing over the edge of the trestle to escape an oncoming train.

3: Your average Joe Blow Schmuckatelly is NOT going to be able to hold onto the side of a trestle while a train is running over it unless the "train" is just an engine deadheading back to the yards. I've been under a trestle as a train went through and you can feel the ground vibrating under your feet.

Conclusion: This story has been repeated in print and verbally for years. If such an occurrence did happen, then those involved are idiots for attempting to discover the monster by walking across the trestle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Lick_Monster

Welcome to UM Toombes :st Please, make sure you take time to read the site rules, found here: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/guidelines/

Unfortunately this occurrence did indeed happen. Roquel Bain really was on those tracks and really did die. Her boyfriend really did survive. It's a sad story about folks that dangerously and illegally go seek spooky and get the worst consequences from it. And part of what makes it extra stupid and sad is that they already had plans to do safe and legal spooky seeking later that day- but still chose to fill their time with a dangerous and illegal activity first.

How long was this trestle bridge because you can see or hear a train coming from a long way off unless it comes from a tunnel or around a bend so unless they were both deaf or blind they would be warned by the noise