Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I Want to Be A Poet So So So Badly

AMP1974

Is it still possible? I'm starving already as it is. Yet.......I want nothing to write and make a feasible living off of it. Is it doable today?

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poetry_awards As long as these are still being handed out, there's a future in poetry. It can't be much different from getting anything else published; it's just another specialization. If you keep at it, persevere, all those inspirational cliches, no reason you can't make a decent living at it.
  • Like 1

If you are implying publishing your poetry, it can be done. However, getting a book of poetry published is usually more difficult than a novel or novella. A lot of writers resort to self-publishing at first. There is some good information on Quora and I highly recommend that site.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-publish-a-books-of-poems-and-make-money-from-it

• Like 2

writing and publishing? yes. making a living off of it? not to many people have ever done that, and not too many manage it now. i know some people who have been writing and publishing for decades in the small press; and they pretty much all have day jobs. that's not a bad thing, necessarily.

write what you enjoy, do what you want with it. that's all it takes to be a poet.

• Like 1

Let's see one of your poems.

Yes please post some of your work..We have some excellent poets here and we are very fortunate they they post on this site...

• Like 3

I should point out before you may or may not share anything here, a caveat about going through any publisher. This is something some people learn the hard way. Anything you share from your book in a public space online is considered "published" by many publishers' standards and it makes it all the more difficult to get it out there in print. It is OK, however, to share reasonably small excerpts here and there or share in private places online (sharing whole chapters in private Facebook groups is an acceptible practice IIRC) but it definitely depends on your publisher. Small press is a bit more lax but you still should be cautious.

• Like 1

Being that you write poetry, I'm inclined to believe a small piece of poetry may be OK but do some research before all else.

Ehhhh. It's all so pointless anyway lol. Life seems pointless. So I seem to be making it even far more difficult yet. Go figure.

Don't give up. If you have a passion for it, let that passion drive you. In 40 years you don't want to be toying with the "what if" factor.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I write poety and songs just write from ur soul

• Like 3

On 5/1/2016 at 6:44 PM, AMP1974 said:

Ehhhh. It's all so pointless anyway lol. Life seems pointless. So I seem to be making it even far more difficult yet. Go figure.

Write, it is an end in itself, if you are good people will read you, if not, it is still good to write.

peace

mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Who says that to be a poet you have to write poems?

Anyone can be a poet, be they a dancer, a barman or a boxer. All you have to do is inject some art into what you do.

• Like 2

If you're going in to a creative field in order to make a living from it, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons (and will probably fail).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...