Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant space umbrella may stop global warming

Still Waters

The race to find a solution to a rapidly warming world is one of the most pressing challenges facing our planet.

One proposal to try to halt this warming is literally out-of-this-world: a giant, space-based sunshade. We're already modifying our climate by accident, so why not do it by deliberate geoengineering?

It's a radical idea, and it just might just work. Reducing the amount of light reaching our planet could cool the Earth quickly, even with rising carbon dioxide levels. While the asteroid which helped wipe out the dinosaurs blocked out 90% of the Sun's rays, we would need to divert just 2-4%, it's believed, to take the Earth back to its pre-industrial climate.

http://www.bbc.com/f...-global-warming

and will cause a few more problems for most... just not for the manufacturer.

• Like 1

I dont think its meaningful to try to influence an effect thats originated within the atmosphere by humans misdemeanor, with

a device located outside the atmosphere that might just influence the effect but not the cause of the warming. And, such sun

blocking action, even at a very low percentage, is of negative influence to the global climate with effetcs on plant growth rates

and extreme and not foreseeable weather changes.

• Like 1

As if the sun is the main cause of global warming.

Better studying on fuel consumption, carbon release

The planet is cold enough as it is. I mean its 8 degrees celsius here, just 2 days away for May

• Like 2

Well,they already pump chemicals into the atmosphere called chemtrails.

Alternative fuel sources would help,but too much profit,greed,control won't make for change.

The planet is slowly being destroyed by us,and it's only going to get worse before it improves.For being the most intellectual species on this planet,were also not as smart as we think!

Can't we just move americans and the chinese to another planet, then Earth would be fine ??

*sarcasm could be implied here*

• Like 2

By example, this is stopgap. By definition, this means temporary substitute. We engineer a system that continues to reward illicit behavior. Consequential engineering would be that of modifying the behavior. Yet, I despair, that would equate to recognizing the value of integrity, foresight and altruism.

I guess for when the currently 18 year long streak of no global warning comes to an end?

• Like 1

With any luck I'll be dead and gone before this is implemented. I've been enjoying the milder winters. There is always the law of unintended consequences, like accidentally triggering another ice age, and given man's track record with many environmental issues, it wouldn't surprise me.

What a hokey idea. How about fixing the real issue? But oh no, can't question Big Oil! Got to keep those profits high at all costs!

• Like 1

Why does everyone fail to remember that the Earth was getting warmer long before carbon footprints were the rage. If not, ice would be covering most of the planet. As far as "greenhouse gases" go, water vapor is one. So do we stop boiling water and find a way to keep water from evaporating? And something forgotten is in the 1960's scientists claimed we were entering into a new ice age because the glaciers were growing and the global average temperature was dropping.. So in 50 years or so we have gone from an ice age return to a warming catastrophe. We want our cake and eat it too. Let's stop inventing gadgets and conveniences that aren't really needed that use energy because are too lazy to do the same thing manually. Why do we need automatic blinds when a person can get off their butt for a couple of minutes and do it themselves. Let's outlaw racing. That increases the carbon in the air. But wait, that's a multi-million dollar if not billion dollar business. We can't touch that! Bad for the economy.

Yes the Earth is getting warmer. Are we causing it to warm faster, maybe. I usually don't go with conspiracy theories, but this whole issue is ripe for the governments to find new ways to control the populace.

Well,they already pump chemicals into the atmosphere called chemtrails.

Yeah, chemtrails again, still the favorite lollipop of the uneducated conspiracy theorists. Strange, that until today there is not

one single proof for chemtrailing, isnt it?

• Like 1

By example, this is stopgap. By definition, this means temporary substitute. We engineer a system that continues to reward illicit behavior. Consequential engineering would be that of modifying the behavior. Yet, I despair, that would equate to recognizing the value of integrity, foresight and altruism.

Yes, and it's a huge waste of money and energy.

Why not just give all of us parasols, and we all keep them open.

Same thing, and those monsters responsible for global warming,. well, we could just deny them a parasol, couldn't we? Let 'em burn.

Harte

First of all this idea just won't happen.

It's just an idea.

Secondly it won't happen... Too expensive, too bizarre and, of course, too problematic.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the giant sun blocking device in The Simpsons, "Who shot Mr. Burns?".

When it comes to for gorebal warming, it's best to post silliness like this. :)

Back in the 1960's, a group of uber-rich George Soros types calling themselves the Club of Rome, published a report called 'The Limits to Growth', based on computer models created by a rabid environmentalist - computer scientist from MIT named Jay Forester, which predicted that by the year 2000, we would all be dead, or wishing we were. About this same time an entymologist named Paul Erlich confused human beings with butterflies and predicted that we would mindlessly breed ourselves to extinction, and a character named Jeremy Rifkin confused a physical quantity with a physical law in his book 'Entropy'. Anthropogenic Climate Change is the same tired song I've been hearing for 40 years; it's not about saving the planet, it's about controlling people.

Back in the 1960's, a group of uber-rich George Soros types calling themselves the Club of Rome, published a report called 'The Limits to Growth', based on computer models created by a rabid environmentalist - computer scientist from MIT named Jay Forester, which predicted that by the year 2000, we would all be dead, or wishing we were. About this same time an entymologist named Paul Erlich confused human beings with butterflies and predicted that we would mindlessly breed ourselves to extinction, and a character named Jeremy Rifkin confused a physical quantity with a physical law in his book 'Entropy'. Anthropogenic Climate Change is the same tired song I've been hearing for 40 years; it's not about saving the planet, it's about controlling people.

You do realize in the 60's lakes and rivers were catching fire because they were so polluted, acid rain, plants and animals couldn't live in a lot of areas due to how bad things were. Luckily laws and regulations were put in place to clean things up. Or is that just the Government butting its head were it doesn't belong?

actually, chemtrails have been proven. its well documented and theres plenty of photography of the systems in place. a theory implies that it isnt varifiable, yet chemtrails are quite varifiable. The truth is the truth whether you believe it or not. so do yourselves a favor and do some actual research on the subject.

Please provide the links to a published scientific article, I admit I am not aware of any.

• Like 1

Reminds me of the giant sun blocking device in The Simpsons, "Who shot Mr. Burns?".

I wonder if there might be a way to remove CO2 from the atmosphere, convert the carbon to some stable form and bury it. It would be energy-intensive and we couldn't use fossil fuels to generate that energy or we'd be defeating the purpose.

Maybe we could use plants to capture the carbon, process them and bury the result. But we're already doing that. We turn trees into paper, print something on the paper and bury it in a landfill. If that's a dry and secure landfill, we could trap a lot of carbon. The Great Plains and the Sahara have huge spaces we could use as CO2 dumps and it doesn't much matter where the conversion plants are located.

Or, we might convert to something more efficient: wind is already tied with gas-fired turbines as the cheapest source of electricity and emerging wind technologies will likely cut the cost of new wind power by half to 3.5 cents per kilowatt hour in the next few years. Does it require some great government conspiracy to believe that energy companies are going to see the benefits of low-cost electricity and start building wind farms everywhere you look? Solar is also coming down and will be competitive with coal by fall.

Big Coal is in a panic - its markets are disappearing. The Washington Examiner says 207 coal plants will have to close and blames it on Obama's "anti-coal" campaign. You don't think that cheaper wind and gas power and reduced electrical needs due to more-efficient lighting had anything to do with it? But when they can't make it in an "unregulated" market, business immediately wants the government to regulate it - and calls it "protecting the free market." That's what the Koch Brothers and their ilk are trying to do - get the government to protect their monopolies. And that is an indication they are no longer competitive and should go out of business.

About global warming conspiracies: I have been working on a weather/climate history of Oklahoma. At 7:00 a.m. on January 29 and 30, 1856, air temps reached 15 degrees below zero at Fort Gibson (about 3 miles from Muskogee). In early February, 1886, air temps at Ponca City reached 40 degrees below zero. The first observation was signed by "Surgeon U. S. Army." The second one by "A. Colson." If these observations were faked, "Surgeon U. S. Army" and "A. Colson" would have had to know about global warming in 1856 and 1886. Either that, or modern weather people are faking their data on a daily basis. And if modern weather forecasters are in on the conspiracy, they forgot to include my wife who is a weather geek and runs her own back-yard station. A "global warming conspiracy" would require the connivance of thousands of weather volunteers over a three-hundred year period. The idea of a "global warming conspiracy" is so far removed from reality, I have no choice but to think of those who believe it as willfully ignorant.

Back to the topic: every sizable scientific/engineering problem attracts numerous outlandish proposals. Most of those are not at all feasible and are quickly forgotten. But a few are practical. The problem: you can't tell which is which until you look at them carefully. That's what the space shield is: one of these outlandish solutions, a cure that may be worse than the disease.

Doug

So, it's a no-go on my parasols for everyone idea?

Harte

• 2 months later...

I am intrigued by the initial idea of mirrors and wire mesh reflecting the sun a bit in another direction - does anyone else believe that this idea has the most potential?  I know woven wire mesh - usually bronze or copper Bronze or Copper Woven Wire Mesh are used to transfer electricity.  Under my roof shingles at home, I know the builder installed mesh under my shingles to melt any potential snow or ice that could damage the roof.

Would the mesh somehow store this energy and use it for something else?  A lot of work to be done, but they are onto something with that one.