Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kennewick Man to Have Native American Burial

Still Waters

Kennewick Man, one of the oldest and best-preserved skeletons ever found in North America, is related to modern Native American tribes, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Wednesday, possibly closing a debate that lasted 20 years.

The corps, which owns and has custody of the remains, said the 8,500-year-old bones are now covered by the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act, opening the process to return Kennewick Man to tribes for Native American burial.

http://news.discover...rial-160428.htm

The decision was based upon review and analysis of new information, in particular a DNA study and skeletal analyses published last year in the journal Nature.

Previous thread:

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=282749

• Like 2

Hmmm. I wonder if this is being done for the PC crowd?

• Like 2

Well, if Kennewick Man isn't related to modern Amerinds, then their whole "first settlers" claim to the Americas is endangered. That might have a biasing effect.

how many years after arriving in the Americas does an immigrant become a native? 10? 100? 1000?

• Like 1

Well, if Kennewick Man isn't related to modern Amerinds, then their whole "first settlers" claim to the Americas is endangered. That might have a biasing effect.

Inuits are "late comers" in the Americas, who have been on the continent for less than five thousand years. Even the people who were there before them, the Saqqaq-Dorset, were there for less than 5,000 thousand years. Do they have less rights than the older Amerid peoples? Nothing that I am aware of.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I wonder if this is being done for the PC crowd?

This has been a long standing debate for decades. They've been trying to reburry him for a very long time. Has happened to a few remains here in Florida as well.

I get it, and Kennewick is genetically related. But the time frame is such that I don't think a true relation is there, especially with a lack of material culture from the remains.

Inuits are "late comers" in the Americas, who have been on the continent for less than five thousand years. Even the people who were there before them, the Saqqaq-Dorset, were there for less than 5,000 thousand years. Do they have less rights than the older Amerid peoples? Nothing that I am aware of.

The activist Amerind position, if I understand it, is that they have a right to possession to the Americas by reason of discovery, and therefore a right to compensation for being deprived of it. But a completely non-Amerind Kennewick Man would mean they were not the only discoverers, and possibly not the first, and I think (cynically) that the drive to put him safely back underground comes from a desire to keep his ethnicity from being examined too closely, rather than from any religious nicety. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the 'burial' movement appeared rather suddenly after it was speculated that KM might be 'European'.

My position is that Amerinds, unless they are made of a finer stuff than the rest of humanity, have been busily stealing each others' territory since they arrived and therefore have no moral claim against the Europeans who stole it from them in turn. Oddly enough, the Inuit may in fact have a clear claim to being the first settlers of northwest Greenland, though.

• Like 1

Kennewick man is part of the earliest settlers into the north Americas but he wasn't an Amerind. This is all very PC and burying further studies suggest the establishment is frightened to learn that the original Americans were a toally different ethnicity.

Inuits weren't the first in Greenland, it was the Saqqaq-Dorset who aren't related to them.

"Various theories have suggested that they were direct ancestors to the Inuit, or that they were actually Native Americans who penetrated into the High Arctic," Willerslev said. But little has been known about the Saqqaq's genetic history, since archaeological sites have yielded only a few small bits of preserved bone and hair.

The new DNA evidence, presented online today by the journal Nature, shows that Inuk's closest relatives are not the ancestors of today's Native Americans and Inuits, but three Arctic peoples of the Siberian Far East: the Nganasans, Koryaks, and Chukchis.

"This evidence suggests a [unique] migration happening around 5,500 years ago," Willerslev said, adding that this estimate nicely matches the earliest archaeological evidence of New World Arctic habitation.

Which could open the claim for Russia over Greenland. :whistle:

Inuits weren't the first in Greenland, it was the Saqqaq-Dorset who aren't related to them.

Thanks for the correction.

• 9 months later...

Ancient Kennewick Man Finally Laid to Rest

Thousands of years after his death, an ancient skeleton known as the Kennewick Man has finally been laid to rest.

On Friday (Feb. 17), the bones and belongings of the "Ancient One" were handed over to representatives of the Umatilla, Yakama Nation, Nez Perce Tribe, Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and the Wanapum Band of Indians, the Seattle Times reported. The ancient remains were then placed in an undisclosed burial site near the Columbia River, which flows through parts of Washington and Oregon in the Pacific Northwest.

Read more: Live Science

• Like 3