Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Legal cemetery hunting

rashore

On 5/1/2016 at 7:50 PM, Rinna said:

Fun fact for everyone, a Graveyard is usually attached or was attached to a Church at one point, whereas a Cemetery is a stand-alone.

Well that clears up some things I was puzzling about. I know of a few graveyards where I are a couple of miles from where I grew up, but yeah, it's on the property of a church. Then down a couple more miles of a particular road there, and then yes, a cemetery snuggled between some houses. 

I always thought graveyards always were attached to churches, but there are quite a few churches in my neck of the woods where I live now, but no graveyards. There are quite a few cemeteries but out in the woods or such. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 2:35 AM, JDkn said:

I've always enjoyed visiting Undercliffe Cemetery near Bradford, Yorkshire.

For those of us in England it is a fairly large and well maintained place, many of the graves being old or of intricate design that would satisfy any morbid curiosity about who is there, their position and their wealth.

As for any paranormal aspect, apart from that odd feeling you get from being surrounded by so much death and misery I won't lie and say I've seen something or heard something. I haven't had any paranormal experiences but should you be inclined to believe in the paranormal, I am sure ANY cemetery of sufficient age would have enough negative energy to bring about some sort of manifestation.

For the rest of us, this is a very nice place overflowing with history. You could spend a good while there.

post-160617-0-49069100-1462257281_thumb.

There is a part of me that wonders why, it's the cemeteries and graveyards that are haunted, when it's just the bodies being brought there to be interred. 

Anyways, having read up on various people's experiences at cemeteries, and at a couple of them in my own town, I have found that one, which is quite big, on sight between various intersecting roads, and such, and more well kept, to be one that people think is not haunted. Then there is a smaller one, about some distance away, and tucked in the woods, which I have read reports of various experiences in that one. The funny thing is, when I have drove passed them, I have usually have seen some interesting things in the big one that no one says is haunted. Yet, even when I have drove by the older more hidden one, the one reported to be haunted, I see nothing. I have often traveled by it at night, a lot of the times. And there are hardly any street lamps, and such, and I usually don't see a thing. 

*shrugs* 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2016 at 7:58 AM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Toowong Cemetary here in Brisbane offers not only tours but ghost tours.

That's a big Cemetery....have you ever been on one of the tours ?

Here in New Orleans we have no cemeteries, haunted or otherwise. We just kinda chuck the dead into the river.

What? You don't believe me? Hmph.

:P

Well here are some of the ones we have on offer. Most cemeteries you can visit during daylight hours (or sunrise to 4:30 PM) without a guide. There are a few that, due to their location, should be visited only with a tour group, but they are a small number.

This site offers a list of tour companies that have all manner of tours, including cemetery tours. However, as they are typically visiting more than one, you only get a brief visit from each one. Individual cemeteries will likely have their own volunteers who give tours of just that one cemetery and you get a more indepth look around. We also have Save Our Cemeteries, who offer tours as well. I would go with them or with the people who give tours of individual cemeteries because the money is going to stay put. SOC works to maintain the cemeteries we have so whatever money they charge will be used for that. The big tour companies only want to make a buck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's a famine graveyard not far from where I live.  There's nothing to see really.  No headstones or anything.  It's just a small field. It was used for burying famine victims during the 1845-1848 famine and for those who died in the local workhouse (building was torn down several years ago) to which there's still an old pathway.  There's a plaque on the field wall acknowledging that it was a graveyard and the locals volunteer every year to keep it maintain (as much as you can maintain a field of grass anyway, weeding it, cutting away overgrowth, clearing up litter etc.)

I know someone who's involved with restoration work in an old graveyard and said I could arrange to visit him some evening and he'd give me a personal tour of it.  Even though they haven't found any actual headstones that old, they have found records of people being buried there in the 1600s.  

I do enjoy visiting and exploring old graveyards.  No tours locally of any of them that I'm aware of though.

FamineGraveyard2.jpg

Edited by JesseCuster

On 5/17/2016 at 7:49 PM, freetoroam said:

tut tut JesseCuster, this is not legal cemetery hunting.

I know.  That was the whole point of my anecdote.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to the grave yard in the day case closed there ghosts there all the time

On 7/6/2016 at 4:11 AM, coolguy said:

Go to the grave yard in the day case closed there ghosts there all the time

What will happen if you go to "the grave yard" in the day because ghosts are there all the time?  I visit graveyards all the time.   I've been in them day and night.  What am I supposed to be experiencing that will close some case?

What are actually talking about?  More to the point, why am I asking?

Maybe they do  ghost tours of the San Antonio cemeteries on the East Side,don't know.Columbus,Texas up the road aways has a cemetery tour. Years ago my dad and I had taken a drive and where coming home. We drove Evans Rd past the Davenport Cemetry and there was a man and woman standing in it.No they weren't ghosts, just humans doing an evp session because it looked like the man had a tape recorder in his hand.This was before 1996 when my dad passed away.Did my dad call the cops when we got home?No.He just thought it was odd people would be in a cemetery at night.It's not a very big one,just a small family plot. I know of another one called Stapper cemetery which is much bigger.From the looks  of it maybe there was several families buried there plus in an odd way I get the feeling maybe there was one a small community by that name. There is an old store building on the property with a lived in home. Davenport was the original name of the town of Bracken.

My parents  wouldn't go into cemeteries at night. Recall during the day out at Quihi near Castroville, daddy reading some of the old german headstones .

Don't know about momma, but daddy  years ago in Milwaukee saw a ball of light moving around in Union Cemetery one night when walking home.He mentioned it to grandma, who sometime later spoke to the old german caretaker. He told her that he often saw balls of light moving around and such.

Here we have a lot of old abandoned cemeteries .......  we have a number of old mills, and mines that were abandoned in the late 1800's ... and often you can find little cemeteries in the area for those who died in the mines ... mostly un marked Chines plots.  But it's so cool going out 4x4 and run across these old sites ...   

Edited by Forever Cursed

BkZsOu6.jpg

Haworth Cemetery, Yorkshire England. I've not been to this one but from photos it looks amazing. The Bronte sisters are buried there, and so are countless number of infants and small children. Apparently there are also a lot of old 17th century buildings nearby that are also supposedly haunted.