Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three new Earth-sized planets discovered

UM-Bot

Astronomers have identified three new terrestrial worlds around a relatively close 'ultracool' star.

The hunt for a habitable planet outside our solar system has received a substantial boost this week thanks to the discovery of three temperate Earth-sized worlds in orbit around a star that, despite being relatively close, is so dim that it is not even possible to see it without the use of a telescope.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/294137/three-new-earth-sized-planets-discovered

• Like 3

Ultracool aliens. :alien:B)

• Like 2

How much time does the star have left?

Without knowing how old it is that is impossible to say, however small, faint stars live a lot longer than hot, large stars. Dwarf stars like this easily out live the sun, so it is a far guess that it has many billions of years left.

• Like 4

"Small, faint stars live a lot longer than hot, large stars."

So that means Pee-wee Herman should easily outlive Adele.

• Like 1

Riding a bike is good cardio.

You know... there is something that has been bugging me... I always wonder if two planets can share the same orbit, same speed, but on the other side of the star and never know the other exist?

• Like 1

You know... there is something that has been bugging me... I always wonder if two planets can share the same orbit, same speed, but on the other side of the star and never know the other exist?

It's a great theme in science fiction but in reality no, it can't happen. No orbit is perfectly circular and so the planets would not be able to remain on the opposite sides of the sun 100% of the time. In the long term they would end up colliding or with one object expelling the other.

Edited to add:

The closest thing to this are trojan asteroids which share an orbit with a planet but are 60° behind or in front of it.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 1

"Small, faint stars live a lot longer than hot, large stars."

So that means Pee-wee Herman should easily outlive Adele.

Well for Adele will live longer as I don't know who that is. Everything is relative to one's perception.

It's a great theme in science fiction but in reality no, it can't happen. No orbit is perfectly circular and so the planets would not be able to remain on the opposite sides of the sun 100% of the time. In the long term they would end up colliding or with one object expelling the other.

Edited to add:

The closest thing to this are trojan asteroids which share an orbit with a planet but are 60° behind or in front of it.

Waspie - Even if it were possible, wouldn't the "sister" planet affect the orbits of, let's say for argument's sake, Venus and Mars as there years are a different length?

Waspie - Even if it were possible, wouldn't the "sister" planet affect the orbits of, let's say for argument's sake, Venus and Mars as there years are a different length?

If I understand the question properly then the answer is yes (I am assuming that you are placing this planet in the same orbit as Earth).

It would be detectable as, although hidden, it would pull on the other planets causing them to deviate from their predicted orbits. This is exactly how Neptune was discovered.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo, plus removed a sentence because I didn't read the post I am replying to properly.