Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dumb? Question...Traveling at spd of light

Sakari

Hearing about this Earth like planet 40 light years away............

So, even if it were possible to get to that point,( traveling the speed of light ) how would you avoid running into things?.....Space junk, rocks, whatever may be out there. Not like you would see it coming.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised the Enterprise never got smashed to smithereens the first time it hit a grain of dust whilst travelling at up to 3053 times the speed of light.

I'm surprised the Enterprise never got smashed to smithereens the first time it hit a grain of dust whilst travelling at up to 3053 times the speed of light.

That's the beauty of science fiction... it's fiction.

• Like 1

That's the beauty of science fiction... it's fiction.

Too right it is. It also breaks the Theory of Relativity.

Edited by Black Monk

That means those planets are safe from the likes of earthlings ...

Moving at that speed would you create any kind of slipstream esq effect? I know that space is a vacuum. But infinite energy is infinite mass right? So would you create a gravity slipstream?

Well, here's my FULLY UNKNOWLEGABLE opinion...

If a spacecraft could form a "space-time" bubble around it, I suppose small mass objects would "go-around"

But if you drove that same craft into an asteroid or planet there might be a significant problem. ???

Edited by pallidin

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

If a spacecraft could form a "space-time" bubble around it, I suppose small mass objects would "go-around"

But if you drove that same craft into an asteroid or planet there might be a significant problem. ???

In my humble opinion, the more feasable( I used this term very loosely) option would be a intelligent GPS to sense and maneuver or a sheilding mechanism.

admitted I am not very knowledgeable on this subject either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2016 at 6:40 PM, pallidin said:

Yeeeah. I think. Because essentially you're not moving, you're just folding space around you til you "pull" your destination to you.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:11 AM, Sakari said:

Hearing about this Earth like planet 40 light years away............

So, even if it were possible to get to that point,( traveling the speed of light ) how would you avoid running into things?.....Space junk, rocks, whatever may be out there. Not like you would see it coming.

In Star Trek they used something called a navigational deflector to protect from debris in front of the ship (that big radar dish looking thing) .   http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Navigational_deflector

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We need magic. Even with all the problems resolved - the speed of light won't bring depths of Milky Way near to us.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2016 at 1:40 PM, pallidin said:

Lol, you would drive around an asteroid or planet. That's what navigation and pilots are for. They plot a course and drive around the big stuff.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:27 PM, Sir Smoke aLot said:

We need magic. Even with all the problems resolved - the speed of light won't bring depths of Milky Way near to us.

Quantum entanglement is pretty close to magic, for informational purposes, it might be the one medium that can take us past the speed of light - from my speculative viewpoint anyway. 

• Like 1

On 6/8/2016 at 3:50 PM, Merc14 said:

In Star Trek they used something called a navigational deflector to protect from debris in front of the ship (that big radar dish looking thing) .   http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Navigational_deflector

That's exactly what they use...though other starships in the same universe seem to lack that sort of thing.

Warp drive, moving faster than the speed of light, similar to how it's done in Star Trek, has been shown to be, at least, feasible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Is it possible for us to do this?  I dunno.  Not for a while, at least.  Personally, if I had to choose a mode of travel to get from here to there in the galaxy, I'd go with the way it was done in Babylon 5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_(science_fiction)#Babylon_5

Or something similar.  Seems less, um, "magical" to me.

Just take Wormhole Exit 24, first exit on your right after you pass the moon and avoid all that congestion.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

That's exactly what they use...though other starships in the same universe seem to lack that sort of thing.

Warp drive, moving faster than the speed of light, similar to how it's done in Star Trek, has been shown to be, at least, feasible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Is it possible for us to do this?  I dunno.  Not for a while, at least.  Personally, if I had to choose a mode of travel to get from here to there in the galaxy, I'd go with the way it was done in Babylon 5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace_(science_fiction)#Babylon_5

Or something similar.  Seems less, um, "magical" to me.

I don't like to think that there is anything we aren't capable of.  Not in my lifetime certainly but some time in the future, if we keep working and educating ourselves and do away with the silliness we will get there.  We humans can do anything.

• Like 2

If we are speaking preferred modes of Travel, Dr Who's TARDIS wins out everytime. It is by far superior to more conventional modes as seen in more traditional concepts of space travel. It is the only way to see the Universe. 

55 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I don't like to think that there is anything we aren't capable of.  Not in my lifetime certainly but some time in the future, if we keep working and educating ourselves and do away with the silliness we will get there.  We humans can do anything.

I completely agree with that, but like I said, the subject matter of this thread certainly isn't possible at the moment at least.  I am a huge fan of human ingenuity and perseverance when it comes to these things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

If we are speaking preferred modes of Travel, Dr Who's TARDIS wins out everytime. It is by far superior to more conventional modes as seen in more traditional concepts of space travel. It is the only way to see the Universe. 

It would be if he'd stop leaving the handbrake on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

I completely agree with that, but like I said, the subject matter of this thread certainly isn't possible at the moment at least.  I am a huge fan of human ingenuity and perseverance when it comes to these things.

I hate that our life span is so short as there are so many incredible discoveries coming.   Ah well. I think I wlll live long enough to see evidence of life found off earth and that will be pretty good.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

I hate that our life span is so short as there are so many incredible discoveries coming.   Ah well. I think I wlll live long enough to see evidence of life found off earth and that will be pretty good.

This is the reason why I want to live forever.  To see it all happen, to get it all answered.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Thorvir Hrothgaard said:

It would be if he'd stop leaving the handbrake on.

In one episode, the TARDIS consciousness is transferred into a female body. He had a crack at her about exactly that, that the TARDIS never goes where he tries to send it.

She replied with "No, I didn't always take you where you wanted to go, but I did take you where you needed to be".

I rather liked that episode :D

I have taken quite a shine to Missy lately too :D

• Like 2