Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Head Full of Ghosts

LavenderAmber

I read this about a month ago and I definitely recommend it! I'm not going to give anything away, I'll just say it's an excellent blend of spooky and psychological. I'll be reading it again once I get a chance.

Has anyone else here read it by chance? I'd love to discuss via DM.

• Like 1

I read this about a month ago and I definitely recommend it! I'm not going to give anything away, I'll just say it's an excellent blend of spooky and psychological. I'll be reading it again once I get a chance.

Has anyone else here read it by chance? I'd love to discuss via DM.

It has some good reviews for a horror novel. Stephen King liked it. I am more into non fiction, but as a horror fiction, this seems a good read.

"I read a lot of horror fiction,"

it's a good idea to read great fiction. A Head Full of Ghosts is exactly that and there's a lot to be gleaned from Tremblay's writing

https://litreactor.com/columns/6-reasons-everyone-should-read-a-head-full-of-ghosts-by-paul-tremblay

• Like 2

It has some good reviews for a horror novel. Stephen King liked it. I am more into non fiction, but as a horror fiction, this seems a good read.

"I read a lot of horror fiction,"

it's a good idea to read great fiction. A Head Full of Ghosts is exactly that and there's a lot to be gleaned from Tremblay's writing

https://litreactor.com/columns/6-reasons-everyone-should-read-a-head-full-of-ghosts-by-paul-tremblay

I'm really picky when it comes to paranormal or horror fiction but I really enjoyed this one. I generally prefer nonfiction myself.

Stephen King's praise was actually the reason I decided to read it.

Edited by LavenderAmber
  • Like 1

I'm really picky when it comes to paranormal or horror fiction but I really enjoyed this one. I generally prefer nonfiction myself.

Stephen King's praise was actually the reason I decided to read it.

My 1st "horror" book was James Herbert The Rats, I was not even a teenager at the time, then I bought The Fog...and others. Later I discovered The Dead zone and was addicted to Stephen King novels. This was until I started reading Colin Wilson true crime books.

The real life horror in some of the true crimes books are more frightening than those in the fiction ones.

My 1st "horror" book was James Herbert The Rats, I was not even a teenager at the time, then I bought The Fog...and others. Later I discovered The Dead zone and was addicted to Stephen King novels. This was until I started reading Colin Wilson true crime books.

The real life horror in some of the true crimes books are more frightening than those in the fiction ones.

Oh, true crime books terrify me.

Have you read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote? It's a good read.

• Like 1

Oh, true crime books terrify me.

Have you read In Cold Blood by Truman Capote? It's a good read.

No, but I know about the Clutter family murders.

I like reading Wilsons books as they go into the history of crime too. Also read Anne Rule, Jason Moss, Carol Anne Davis, among others.

After reading many of these true crime books, it highlighted to me the "entertainment" value of books by Stephen King and horror writers.

It may seem strange to say "entertainment", but that's exactly what they are and after reading the horrors of true crime, it is difficult for me to read about a horror book now and not think "maybe good entertaining read for a rainy Sunday afternoon".

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Another really good book that deals with the history of crime and crime detection is Deborah Blum's, The Poisoner's Handbook. I read a lot of Colin Wilson when I was researching my own book, The Axeman of New Orleans: The True Story (to be published in March by Chicago Review Press). I could write this true story of a series of axe murders, but, surprisingly, I cannot read Stephen King. For some reason, real murders don't freak me out as much as demonic ones. Is this true of anyone else?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 10:58 PM, Miriam2016 said:

real murders don't freak me out as much as demonic ones. Is this true of anyone else?

I have read many Colin Wilson books and many other true crime books. Many moons ago i would read Stephen King and James Herbert, but over time after starting to read true crime, fiction horror books do not freak me out, they bore me.

I have found that some of the true life horrors  are far more sinister and scary than the fiction. 

• Like 1