Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[merged] Selfie-taker smashes 126-year-old statue

questionmark

One wonders how future generations will look back on the dawn of 'selfie' photography, the ubiquitous habit that seems to increasingly play a role in all walks of modern life, from politics to travel.

Presumably not favourably, if its impact on human behaviour stays its course.

The most recent evidence of it is a young man who climbed the façade of the Rossio train station in Lisbon to take a selfie with a statue of once-ruler of Portugal Dom Sebastiao, only to knock over the free-standing sculpture over and watch it shatter on the ground below.

Read more

• Like 2

Are the authorities sure it was an accident rather than a protest against Dom Sebastiao's 1568 creation of scholarships for students studying at the University of Coimbra.

A lot of people are still mad about those funds being made available to poor students.

• Like 4

I'm sometimes so embarrassed of my generation. I'm sure past generations did stupid things, mine just happens to be one of the first to involve social media.

• Like 2

Evidently, the thoughtful vandal did provide the evidence of the deed himself ... perhaps that should count for something besides stupidity ~

• Like 2

I'm sometimes so embarrassed of my generation. I'm sure past generations did stupid things, mine just happens to be one of the first to involve social media.

And the only difference is, that now the whole world will know about you screwing up.

• Like 2

I'm all for the creation of a "Selfie-Park" where people can go take selfies with wild tigers, alligators/crocodiles, packs of hyena's, etc.

Some might scream "eugenicist", but it's not eugenics if it's their own choice!

• Like 9

Stupid people rule the world now.

• Like 1

Have they said who this complete and total blithering idiot is?... Please don't let him be an American... We get enough bad press as tourists now...

• Like 2

i am pretty sure he has to pay for the statue he broke. dam thats gonna be alot of money.

• Like 1

Yet another reason why selfies are stupid.

• Like 1

I'm all for the creation of a "Selfie-Park" where people can go take selfies with wild tigers, alligators/crocodiles, packs of hyena's, etc.

Careful they might come get you for assisted suicide!

• Like 2

I was already annoyed with people and their cell phones when I was nearly walked into twice this morning by text zombies, then I read this article:

A man has been arrested after he destroyed a 126-year-old statue – after attempting to take a selfie with it.

The sculpture, of a 16th-century Portuguese king, reportedly shattered after a man mounted it.

The man lifted himself onto the statue’s pedestal, causing it to crumble, and then attempted to flee the scene – but was caught by police.

Source

IDIOT!

• Like 3

The statue needs replacing. Yes that was a really stupid thing to do.

Send them to me, I can set up those alligator selfies. Payment in advance, please.

• Like 2

Maybe I should start a thread about intelligent, responsible selfie-ists. Surely somebody out there knows how to take a picture without 1. severely injuring themselves or someone else 2. destroying an irreplaceable art piece 3. glamorizing something that really shouldn't be glamorized or 4. otherwise being a public embarrassment. There are still people like that, right? Not being a selfie-ist, I worry...

I'm sometimes embarrased for your generation. You seem to be quite a reasonable person though.

• Like 1

What ever happened to just taking a picture of something? When did it become so important to insert one's self into every photograph. I was recently on a cruise where I saw a group of people with selfie sticks. They each individually got photographs with things and gathered to get mass selfies. I immediately made fun of them by putting my cell phone on the end of a put put club. The real problem here is that he climbed up and took the photograph.

Have they said who this complete and total blithering idiot is?... Please don't let him be an American... We get enough bad press as tourists now...

I'm hoping he weren't English.

It would of never of happened in England, health & safety would of had that statue secured!

• Like 1

I would have thought the statue is attached to the ground, it also is a bit irresponsible to not fixate the statue, since a strong wind could have also destroyed the statue.

Edited by hellwyr

And not happy with destroying the most emblematic sculpture in Do Rossio train station, the ***********er tries to run away. The portuguese media are not informing yet of the nationality of the perpetrator, but my money is on the idiot being spanish.

On a different note, I'm surprised to see news like this published in news media outside the Iberian Peninsula. It seems like you, oh mighty English speakers, DO give a **** about what happens to us, poor and primitive Iberians :w00t: . I'm pleasently surprised. Of course, you could also inform about the political chaos, the corruption, the media manipulation, the illegal arrests, the evictions, the alarming unemployment rate, and all that stuff... Well... I guess I'm being unfair. Sometimes you inform of those things MORE than the spanish media do.

Sorry for the sarcasm and the bitterness... I tried to write it in a joking way, but it came out kind of angry. I'm sorry. I've been fired this morning.

But hey, let's celebrate life. An idiot destroyed a (not too old, but that shouldn't matter) piece of art and he's gonna be charged with the cost of the repairment and five years of prison. At least Portugal's justice system kind of works. If it happened in Spain, he probably would paid a fine and end of the story.