Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is religion about to die out?

seeder

Is religion about to die out? Growing wealth is causing belief in moralising gods to decline - and it could make it vanish entirely

Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism and Hinduism are moral religions

They may have emerged to help the rich elite control the general populous

But as affluence increases the need for this is decreasing, scientists argue

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3580579/Is-religion-die-Growing-wealth-leading-decline-belief-moralising-gods-cause-vanish-entirely.html#ixzz48Cnu11mV

• Like 1

Not in your or my lifetime. And even if religions take a hit, the belief in a creator isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 4

General "populous" ? Spelling standards have died out !

General "populous" ? Spelling standards have died out !

populous

play

adjective pop·u·lous \ˈpä-pyə-ləs\

Edited by and then

Populous means heavily populated, the word that should have been used is 'populace'

• Like 3

I'm a bit of a grammar hound myself, but with so many religious texts that have been just plain wrong for centuries and lead to tragedies, the wrong spelling of populace seems like a little superflous.

• Like 7

:lol:

Populace vs. populous

Populous, meaning having many inhabitants, is always an adjective. Populace is a noun referring to a population or the general public. So we might say, for example, that a populous city has a large populace.

But while populace is roughly synonymous with population, the words’ connotations differ slightly. Population is neutral, while populace often carries a superior tone toward the group it refers to.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/populace-populous/

• Like 2

i84eq.jpg

Well this thread is off to a great start I think.

exactly, back on topic pls...

• Like 2

It wasn't my intention to be an ass, I simply was pointing out that the word, as spelled, was correct. I usually have an eye for that sort of thing though grammar has always been the bane of my writing.

On topic, the term "moralising" gods was funny, I thought. I've always said that the primary negative about religion and especially Christianity, is the innate tendency in human beings to not want anyone or anything limiting them. As we look around the world today I'd say the result hasn't been spectacular on our own.

On topic, the term "moralising" gods was funny, I thought. I've always said that the primary negative about religion and especially Christianity, is the innate tendency in human beings to not want anyone or anything limiting them. As we look around the world today I'd say the result hasn't been spectacular on our own.

This is correct, imo. There is a stark contrast between the brain-washing, if you call it that, of mass advertising, which seems to support the egoic tendency, and enable it (arguably deceptively) and the 'message" of religion, which really does not support self-gratification in this life. Little wonder it loses out to consumerism.

Well I know one thing, history has proven time and time again that overall religion never dies out. One specific religion might go by the wayside eventually, but one or two soon or later takes the place of the one that faded away. Kinda like the hydra thing with cutting of it's heads.

• Like 3

Well I know one thing, history has proven time and time again that overall religion never dies out. One specific religion might go by the wayside eventually, but one or two soon or later takes the place of the one that faded away. Kinda like the hydra thing with cutting of it's heads.

We have never had freedom from relgion like we do in the present either. There is a first time for everything, I am crossing my fingers. Let's hope we give up superstition and start recognising the real world for what it is.

I expect at some point in the future we will look back and religion and laugh at how we were so heavily influenced by such utter nonsense.

• Like 1

We have never had freedom from relgion like we do in the present either. There is a first time for everything, I am crossing my fingers. Let's hope we give up superstition and start recognising the real world for what it is.

I expect at some point in the future we will look back and religion and laugh at how we were so heavily influenced by such utter nonsense.

There may come that point in time where we look back and think of it as utter nonsense but there won't be laughing. Machines dont have much in the sense of humor arena.

Before I forget Psyche, is there a reason you spell religion that way?

Edited by barbco196
  • Like 2

Well hell, Psyche, it don't hurt to dream of the possibilities and dare I say 'pray' :P that all religion will finally be removed from society one day. But you know as well as I do that it's always been human nature and a part of our deep human psyche, for man to believe in something beyond ourselves. And you can't stop some people from believing in that, no matter how well you educate them about the Universe and how they came to be. There are a lot of highly educated people out there who still believe in things beyond themselves. So some people are just not going to except that this is all there is too life and they never will.

It's like what the oracle said to Neo about Morphus believing Neo was the one in the movie The Matrix, and it's the same truth with people in the real world, some people will believe in some things so blindly and nothing you can say can ever take that away from them. And in turn, they'll preach their beliefs to the masses and gain some followers.

But I know you want to see religion completely removed from society some day, I know you do, and a lot of us do to, but some of us realize that's it's just a pipe dream. So have you ever thought that maybe - maybe you're trying to blindly believe that it will ever happen yourself?

• Like 1

The less religion there is in the populous (whatever), the more fanatical the fundamentalists will become. There will always be a core of fundies out there expressing their religious indignation.

. There are a lot of highly educated people out there who still believe in things beyond themselves. So some people are just not going to except that this is all there is too life and they never will.

You just don't know that to be true. You are guesser, and you have guessed wrong, as guessers are apt to do !

There may come that point in time where we look back and think of it as utter nonsense but there won't be laughing. Machines dont have much in the sense of humor arena.

It will be as nonsensical as the Romans having a God of hinges, however, machines designed to replicate our neural connections just might laugh! Some say Dogs do not laugh, but I know they do :D

Before I forget Psyche, is there a reason you spell religion that way?

Yes, Chrome.

I went to allow spellchecker to correct it one day and hit add to dictionary instead by accident, been too lazy to fix it. Just a typo from how I type. I often spell From as Form too.

• Like 1

You just don't know that to be true. You are guesser, and you have guessed wrong, as guessers are apt to do !

Wait. Where are you coming in on that from exactly what position? As religious or non-religious? Clarify.

• Like 1

The word 'religious", I doubt would apply to me, but I have seen enough to convince me that when the "lights go out", it ain't the end at all, at least for some. I'd advise not having an opinion either way, I certainly don't expect to be believed, but i don't gain anything inventing stories, either. It is just silly in every way, including and especially scientifically, to assign zero probability to an after-life.

• Like 1

The word 'religious", I doubt would apply to me, but I have seen enough to convince me that when the "lights go out", it ain't the end at all, at least for some. I'd advise not having an opinion either way, I certainly don't expect to be believed, but i don't gain anything inventing stories, either. It is just silly in every way, including and especially scientifically, to assign zero probability to an after-life.

Well look man I won't be arguing with you anyway about it. I'm not one to try and convince people otherwise or worry all that much about what you believe or don't believe. I don't get into afterlife debates because it doesn't matter to me. The way I look at it, you believe what you want to believe about whatever you may have experienced, that's you and you alone. Who am I to tell you otherwise, right? I put my pants leg on one leg a time just like you do. ;)

But really my comments were specifically directed at Psyche and his particular train of thoughts on the subject matter. The main subject matter is an old discussion between him and I, because we've had it before. So pay no attention to what I say and don't let my comments on the matter bother you. That's just me and the way I think. It doesn't mean I expect everyone else to do the same. To each his own, I say.

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 4

Well look man I won't be arguing with you anyway about it. I'm not one to try and convince people otherwise or worry all that much about what you believe or don't believe. I don't get into afterlife debates because it doesn't matter to me. The way I look at it, you believe what you want to believe about whatever you may have experienced, that's you and you alone. Who am I to tell you otherwise, right?

"..... and it's the same truth with people in the real world, some people will believe in some things so blindly and nothing you can say can ever take that away from them......"

From where I stand, the irony of that is so stark, you have fallen into the exact trap you imagine others wallow in. But as I often point out, rabid atheists and religious "blind faith" fundamentalists have much in common, hardly surprising, as many have already done a stint as one, and switched to the other !

• Like 1

If religion is the opium of the masses .... we know that when we take away an addiction we need to replace it with something and fill the 'hole' .

So what could fill the hole ? (Aside from a new type of religion . )

My bet is it is some new type of religion ... or a least 'philosophy' .

I think that here , as far as organised religions go , people are turning more towards Buddhism , and not the highly religious forms either , the more 'philosophical forms'.

• Like 2

Well hell, Psyche, it don't hurt to dream of the possibilities and dare I say 'pray' :P that all religion will finally be removed from society one day.

I really do not feel it is an outrageous proposal. Religion is declining and knowledge is becoming more freely available, it seems a well overdue inevitability to me. Science erodes religion and science is better distributed than it has ever been.

But you know as well as I do that it's always been human nature and a part of our deep human psyche, for man to believe in something beyond ourselves.

I honestly do not feel it must remain because a majority have felt that way for a long time. Most had no choice but to conform. And we have indoctrination. That puts religion in a limelight it does not deserve through emotional responses. There is much beyond ourselves, we just seem to reject natural explanations for anthropomorphised ones which I feel is a product of our development as we feel more comfortable being in control.

And you can't stop some people from believing in that, no matter how well you educate them about the Universe and how they came to be.

No, but I do see religion as being seen by all if not most as silly as I see it. 50 years ago, the majority believed in Adam and Eve over evolution. Atheists were akin to or worse than satanists. Gay people were an abomination of God. Times are changing and people will change with them.

There are a lot of highly educated people out there who still believe in things beyond themselves. So some people are just not going to except that this is all there is too life and they never will.

I just simply canot explain it, it is indeed a true Unexplained Mystery. What I do notice is those scientists tend to gravitate toward medical fields, and more hardcore sciences such as physics have a great deal less faithful. WHilst that emotional response remains amongst some, they do not publish papers on these beliefs, nor do they entertain them from a serious perspective with tier work. Fringe Science tries to breach the divide with misinterpretation of Physics, but again, when it comes down to recognised serious papers, faith is nonexistent. If you go to a lecture on Cosmology of Physics, not one person in the room ever utter Goddidit or "maybe a creator could explain "X". We see equations and models, no pondering about God. In a serious world where things actually happen, God does not get a look in.

It's like what the oracle said to Neo about Morphus believing Neo was the one in the movie The Matrix, and it's the same truth with people in the real world, some people will believe in some things so blindly and nothing you can say can ever take that away from them. And in turn, they'll preach their beliefs to the masses and gain some followers.

But they like the Heaven's Gate whackos, will become the minority. Westboro level minority I can see a time where people would indeed laugh at what we considered as history, and marvel at how long it managed to remain as a hypothesis when we normally supercede redundant hypotheses. I can see people laughing at once believing we came from an Adam and Eve, or that a creator "made the universe perfect in every way". It's laughable now, many just refuse to let go that security blanket of relgion and step out into the light.

But I know you want to see religion completely removed from society some day, I know you do, and a lot of us do to, but some of us realize that's it's just a pipe dream. So have you ever thought that maybe - maybe you're trying to blindly believe that it will ever happen yourself?

I'd like to see it made redundant. I think it should be preserved as historical record, because I feel it was a very important part of our development, it just overstayed it's welcome by about 1500 years IMHO.

No, I do not think it is a pip dream at all. Yes, there will always be pocket, and they will not matter. They will be steamrolled over with discovery and knowledge. We still have people who believe in Unicorns, Fairies and Mermaids too, but look at how we view them today.

No I do not think it is wishful thinking at all. I feel relgion is an enemy of reason, and will be recognised as such within a generation or two. I feel relgion could easily be made redundant in even one generation with the right approach, but so many refuse to let go and move on that such a task would take more time due to those who refuse to budge. I can tell you right now that much of the Bible has been made redundant, yet some still hang onto those failed claims and now label them as metaphors. Religion has to rely on tradition and the faithful. It simply cannot compete with discovery. Adam and Eve have already proven that. That is how they went form being the Ultimate Grandparents to a metaphor themselves. Who would have believed that could happen 100 years ago? Who would believe gay people would be accepted by Churches? Same with God, he did not make the Universe, he did not let there be light, he did not even fulfill the claims of Adam and Eve. People have swallowed this BS for so long only because the Church directed it. With a huge multicultural world out there, relgion has to compete with real answers. Just like Adam and Eve, relgion itself will be reduced to no more than a chapter in history, John Lennon knew what he was on about.

I see it in my kids. They do not see religion how I did when I was brought up. Neither do their friends. And not though an atheist influence, but personal evaluation with as many resources as anyone else might have, as hard as that might be to believe.

• Like 4