Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's futuristic space technologies

seeder

From ‘Magnetoshells’ that take humans to Mars to growable habitats: Nasa reveals funding for futuristic space technologies

8 projects are part of the Innovative Advanced Concepts Program

Included is an space habitat configured to induce sleep for astronauts

Engineers are also developing an aircraft that can stay aloft for months

A separate group is working on parachute made of plasma that can be trapped in a magnetic field to help probes glide safely back to Earth

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3589538/From-Magnetoshells-humans-Mars-growable-habitats-Nasa-reveals-funding-futuristic-space-technology.html#ixzz48fUaAL00

• Like 4

And if you could please make a time machine preferably Tardis Please.

Edited by Summerin1905
  • Like 1

NO WAY am I going into a deep sleep chamber like the ones shown in the Interstellar movie, where it looks like you have to breathe some sort of oxygenated fluid inside a plastic sleeve inside a sealed vault. And if you sleep for years in one of those things and you are going to wake up with such atrophied muscles you might not be able to move.

• Like 3

NO WAY am I going into a deep sleep chamber like the ones shown in the Interstellar movie, where it looks like you have to breathe some sort of oxygenated fluid inside a plastic sleeve inside a sealed vault. And if you sleep for years in one of those things and you are going to wake up with such atrophied muscles you might not be able to move.

I recently recovered from a bad leg break.

My left leg from thigh to toe was immobilized for 1 month.

Only one month.

Yet muscular atrophy set-up in it, and I was barely, seriously barely able to put any weight at all through my left leg.

It has taken MONTHS, through physical therapy to regain my leg strength.

• Like 1

And if you sleep for years in one of those things and you are going to wake up with such atrophied muscles you might not be able to move.

Long exposure to micro-gravity causes muscle atrophy anyway (amongst other things such as bone wasting) hence the reason astronauts on long duration missions must exercise for several hours every day.

The point of placing humans into a hibernation like state is that it would hugely reduce metabolic rate and so actually reduce the speed at which muscle atrophy occurred.

• Like 3

I recently recovered from a bad leg break.

My left leg from thigh to toe was immobilized for 1 month.

Only one month.

Yet muscular atrophy set-up in it, and I was barely, seriously barely able to put any weight at all through my left leg.

It has taken MONTHS, through physical therapy to regain my leg strength.

I did a similar thing by ripping my quad and MCL from my kneecap and tearing mu ACL and PCL. I had surgery in November and I'm still not all the way back, if I'll ever be. I can't imagine years of sleeping, though there are ways to stimulate the muscles, ligaments, etc using electric impulses. Not as good as using the muscles but I guess better than nothing.
  • Like 1

Makes me wish I was seven and could watch some of it come into being. Maybe be part of it.

Long exposure to micro-gravity causes muscle atrophy anyway (amongst other things such as bone wasting) hence the reason astronauts on long duration missions must exercise for several hours every day.

The point of placing humans into a hibernation like state is that it would hugely reduce metabolic rate and so actually reduce the speed at which muscle atrophy occurred.

+

proof

+

proof

Just think of people in coma's

proof

Coming from someone that never does any research and never backs up a single statement they make with evidence I find that response hypocritical in the extreme.

However, ignoring that, the following quotes are from a BBC article titled "Human Hibernation: Secrets of the Big Sleep":

Lowering your body temperature slows your metabolic activity, about 5-7% for every degree dropped. This in turn reduces the rate at which you consume essential nutrients such as oxygen. Tissues that might become starved of oxygen due to blood loss or cardiac arrest are thus protected. In theory, if we were to keep reducing your temperature, eventually your biological processes would come to a standstill. You would exist in a state of suspended animation. Like a stopped clock, there’d be nothing physically wrong with you – all the components inside would still be intact, simply stationary. All it would take would be a little heat to set you in motion again.
While a human can lie in bed for a week before muscles begin to atrophy and blood clots form, hibernators will endure months without moving.

Research has taken place into a kind of hibernation, used medically, known as torpor. In this state, unlike full hibernation, electrical stimulation would be used to prevent muscle atrophy:

According to the company, inducing torpor in a crew of astronauts would eliminate the need for accommodations like galleys, exercise equipment, and large living quarters. Instead, robots could electrically stimulate key muscle groups and intravenously deliver sustenance to ensure the health and well being of the astronauts while in transit.

Source: Universe Today

Any other questions Daniel?

• Like 2