Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

mind over matter

Illumin8

I was just pondering consciousness before there and thought, "I'm conscious because I'm percieving reality, but when I'm unconscious its because I'm percieving surreality!" It then seemed that we seem to have mistaken ourselves somehow by believing that the body is the master when that is simply not true, our minds can achieve anything we want them to and it just happens that the life we are all living at present is that way because it comforts the majority! The minority like myself are either classed as dreamers or go insane. And I was just wondering at the bizarre way society has shaped us, people have become so dependant on things to keep their minds occupied such as TV, computers, games, not to mention social affairs, trips to pubs and clubs, that if (again its the majority here) those occupations were taken away they'd simply crack under the preassure of their own minds, and due to this reliance on occupation we've become stuck, not enough people are evolving mentally and taking the plunge into the depths of their conscious and sub-conscious, we need to be able to sit with nothing to do and be happy to just think, its amazing the problems you can slove, it normally takes me a good few hours of restless boredom before my mind sets into a pattern of deep thought, but when this is achieved more and more often that waiting time gats less and less and can prove a most rewarding way to spend your spare time!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Illumin8

• Mystify

• Althalus

Illumin8,

Intresting thoughts.... It would also make this world a better place don't you think?

We wouldn't be so preoccupied with lifes daily routines of useless brain activity.... (well for the most part of us)... I'm not saying were all totally waisting it.... but a vast amount of us are. Then again...... some of things we do are also considered enjoyable and fun.... So where would we draw the line then between fun and serious? You don't. You find a common balance of things that excite you and use your imagination or brain. Any form of art or hobby can do this....

I just had an extension of that thought based on mind, body dualism. I thought that maybe the body and mind are living in symbiosis, one could not lead any kind of worthwhile material life without the other. Problem :- When body and mind get together an ego is created, Hmm, mind, body, ego, trioism?

But then how far could you extend that to all the seperate conflicting thoughts and alter ego's? At the end it just goes back to the body and mind, without the body the mind doesn't care whats thought of it, without the mind the body hasn't the function of thought so it doesn't care either, ego is a by product of the unity between body and mind. Now we can alter it, if we see to our bodies needs, proper food, excersise and such like we must also keep the mind occupied in interesting thoughts, topics and conversations, keep it learning, only when we have a good balance between boby and mind can we be united, then of course we unite with other bodies and minds. You can learn alot about who thinks their in control(body or mind) just look at your partner are you with them because of their stunning good looks or for the mental stimulation they provide?

• 2 weeks later...

in my case, both, and also for the fact that I love her.

but if we were to get rid of all technology and live as we would with just our minds and bodies, we would be better off but what would people do, there are those who can not live without the daily infusion of technostuff.

what we really need is to let technology take a back seat, and let material posessions not mean anything, we just need people around us and little else.

Yes thats very true, technology means an awful lot to the modern society we've created, but it has also bred an extremely materialistic mentality in people. Its because of this mentality that there is so much corruption in the world, greed to own more and take it off others if necessary. I have a huge problem with society at present because I'm an idealist and i just can't see a pleasant future in our current path, I think it has to change, I want it to change, I think it will change but I will be long gone by the time it does unless they are closer to discovering a longevity pill than i think they are, may have to look it up!