Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran To Sue The U.S.?

Baz Dane

5 hours ago, and then said:

Care to be more specific?  I guess I missed that statement.  Once again we have an indictment of the morals or the validity of Christians because they might want justice like any other human being.  The point isn't so much that the US shouldn't have to pay but that IF nations are to begin being forced to pay such reparations, where is the line drawn?  The US typically is the ONLY nation that does admit wrong and pay such reparations.  When was the last time any other Colonial European government did such a thing?  In the modern world, what nation that bombards say, a hospital, and kills dozens of innocents, actually apologizes and pays up?  Your bias is showing again Leo.

Here...

What Iran is moaning about here is nothing more than wanting to squeeze the last little bit of dignity our PotUS has managed to retain as he prostrated himself before the world.

You complain about "the dignity of the PotUS", but your real meaning is "the pride of the US". You made the later statement that Iran has a point, but you still think the US should not bow to justice. I get your point that many nations would also be liable for many different claims, but just as the cliche "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" says, if nations aren't prepared to pay for their acts of aggression, they shouldn't undertake them.

If the US calls for justice from Iran for any of it's aggressions, then why should Iran not call for justice from the US likewise? Suggesting that your (or your President's/nation's) pride or "dignity" compels you not to agree to such demands is contrary to the faith you profess to subscribe to.

And, for the record, the "colonial government" here in the UK (which qualifies as "European") made reparations to various foreign states it once lorded over - recently India and New Zealand have been examples of this that I know of. I am not excusing any nation anywhere from being subject to making reparations for their acts of aggression, it's just that this thread concerns the situation between Iran and the US, so I made comment about those two countries. That does not imply I am biased, only that I stick to the topic.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

I'm certainly glad that you can read my mind and intention so well.  You also seem to feel free to come to any conclusion and assign that to me as well.  The point about the chaos that would ensue if such litigation were allowed has been thoroughly made and once again you simply want to impugn me, my religion and my country.  When I think of you Leo I think of this verse:

May those that love us, love us.

and those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts

if he can't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

I'm certainly glad that you can read my mind and intention so well.  You also seem to feel free to come to any conclusion and assign that to me as well.  The point about the chaos that would ensue if such litigation were allowed has been thoroughly made and once again you simply want to impugn me, my religion and my country.  When I think of you Leo I think of this verse:

May those that love us, love us.

and those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts

if he can't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping :D

I haven't impugned your country, nor your religion. I have, perhaps, impugned your personal ethos (as you have also "impugned" my own) - but that doesn't reflect on what your nation's or religion's values promote.

As to any "chaos" arising from litigation against acts of aggression, would that "chaos" be worthwhile if it were to dissuade nations from embarking upon such acts?

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I haven't impugned your country, nor your religion. I have, perhaps, impugned your personal ethos (as you have also "impugned" my own) - but that doesn't reflect on what your nation's or religion's values promote.

As to any "chaos" arising from litigation against acts of aggression, would that "chaos" be worthwhile if it were to dissuade nations from embarking upon such acts?

I believe you HAVE impugned my nation.  You know, or should, the history of this country and how often it has been a benefactor to those in trouble or how often when mistakes are made - even in war - this country tries to do the right thing in the aftermath.  None of that matters with you and some others here though.  The idea that some world body could select a point in time to begin retroactively assigning blame and demanding reparations WOULD cause chaos in the international order.  And unless you are implying that ONLY the US is guilty in such circumstances, just how well received do you believe war crimes charges would be in Russia?  China?  Even in your own nation's involvement in Iraq?  The idea that such litigation or tribunals could cause sovereign countries to be introspective to the point of not acting militarily in areas they consider in their true national interests is naive at best.  I find it very difficult to believe of you that you cannot see the double standard you apply to the US when considering the faults common to all great powers throughout the centuries.

This is typical deranged Iranian posturing. There is no international court to take this complaint to. They know this.

It is on a par with a statement a couple of weeks ago from the head of the Republican Guard Navy, in which it was stated that the Republican Guard would sink US naval vessels using a fleet of fast attack boats that would emerge from underwater tunnels.

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1