Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Selfies' Overestimate Their Attractiveness

Still Waters

With the evolution of smart phones, taking self photos has reached a whole new level. As many as 93 million selfies are taken each day. But a new study has shown that people who regularly photograph themselves tend to overestimate their attractiveness and often exaggerate their likability. They are also seen as more narcissistic by independent observers when compared with non-selfie-takers.

Researchers point out that selfie takers are often the victim of a psychological condition called "self favoring bias." The condition is characterized by any cognitive or perceptual process that is distorted by the need to maintain and enhance self-esteem, or the tendency to perceive oneself in an overly favorable manner.

http://www.inquisitr...s-narcissistic/

• Like 4

I see selfies as nothing but the products of one's vanity.

Edited by AustinHinton
  • Like 1

I never understood the appeal of constantly taking photos of one's self.  I've seen FB  profiles (mostly females) Where they post at least one selfie every day!  And always with pouty expressions, ducklips etc. lame

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Vlawde said:

I never understood the appeal of constantly taking photos of one's self.  I've seen FB  profiles (mostly females) Where they post at least one selfie every day!  And always with pouty expressions, ducklips etc. lame

I'm sorry but duckface is a meme that needs to die. A recent episode of Fairly Oddparents had Cosmo and Wanda do it and I wanted to facepalm so hard. <_<

• Like 1

I agree! I don't get how women think that looks attractive in any way, shape or form

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vlawde said:

I agree! I don't get how women think that looks attractive in any way, shape or form

FYI for the women. It doesn't look good at all! It makes you look stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and no. The impact of social media and the ability to post selfies and whatever else to the world I'd say definitely depends on the response from their intended viewers. Someone who gets a bunch of likes and comments praising their appearance will more likely have an inflated ego and a sense of narcissism. Whereas someone who gets few to 0 likes and even get's berated for their picture (the internet can be a mean place, kids these days are ruthless) will have the exact opposite effect of overestimating their attractiveness. 

• Like 2

It's just an expression of narcissism with modern technology. It's an overt display of confidence sometimes masking a fragile ego.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 0:11 PM, Still Waters said:

With the evolution of smart phones, taking self photos has reached a whole new level. As many as 93 million selfies are taken each day. But a new study has shown that people who regularly photograph themselves tend to overestimate their attractiveness and often exaggerate their likability. They are also seen as more narcissistic by independent observers when compared with non-selfie-takers.

Researchers point out that selfie takers are often the victim of a psychological condition called "self favoring bias." The condition is characterized by any cognitive or perceptual process that is distorted by the need to maintain and enhance self-esteem, or the tendency to perceive oneself in an overly favorable manner.

http://www.inquisitr...s-narcissistic/

According to psychologists you can spot a narcissist from their appearance alone.

Their need to look the best results in them becoming Barbie dolls and Action Man figures.

I would send out selfies, I'm just too damn hot for the internet!

• Like 2

So would you call mine a duckface or a kiss hmm? My husband loves the pic he asked me to marry him without even seeing more than that. Yes im narcissistic but he is the sexiest man alive n has loads of stalkers plus im 10 years older so it must not look that bad.

Whats wrong with loving yourself? I find self haters so much more depressing... 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2016 at 2:42 PM, Vlawde said:

FYI, this goes for men and women alike. I think women tend to take more selfies because society places more importance on a woman's physical appearance compared to men. Unfortunately, a woman being smart or having a great personality is not often suggested to be a positive factor if she is physically "unattractive". I feel that with men, these points are often offered as a positive point.

Any selfie I have taken is awful. I gave up on caring a long time ago. Fortunately, when my husband talks about me to others, his positive points are that I'm smart, have a good personality, and that I am a good person. Now, that's not to say that he does not find my physically attractive, but I'm proud of him for first pointing out my nonphysical attributes before my physical ones. I guess I'll keep him :D.

On 2016-06-07 at 7:29 PM, Nnicolette said:

So would you call mine a duckface or a kiss hmm? My husband loves the pic he asked me to marry him without even seeing more than that. Yes im narcissistic but he is the sexiest man alive n has loads of stalkers plus im 10 years older so it must not look that bad.

I'd call it duckface.

If your husband has stalkers, you need to contact the authorities. Stalking is a serious crime and absolutely nothing to be bragging about.

• Like 1

On Tuesday, June 07, 2016 at 7:29 PM, Nnicolette said:

It looks like you are sucking on a lemon..not a good look. Nothing wrong with loving yourself, just that others don't want constant reminders of that fact.

When I was single I loved myself several times a week! ;)

Edited by Vlawde
  • Like 2

On 2016-05-21 at 7:11 AM, Still Waters said:

As many as 93 million selfies are taken each day

Holy moly! I wonder how many of those are Kim Kardashian's? She published a book of her selfies didn't she? Selfies with friends and stuff can be nice mementos, but I can see where the mental health issues come into play when it becomes an obsession. I have read of people spending up to 10 hours a day just taking selfies of themselves. According to the American Psychiatric Association, three or more selfies a day is when you have to start worrying...

I think there might be some truth to that but for some folks it's a matter of whether you are alone or not. Photos are rarely carefully planned out on a camera phone, it's all in the spirit of the moment. If you're with family or friends you'll take a photo with them, if you're alone you'll take a selfie.

Edited by Zalmoxis

Oh well nothing wrong with knowing how amazing you are as reminded countless times by groupies. I gather there are numerous reasons you don't show your faces.

Being self absorbed and narcissistic is about the ugliest thing anybody could be. Selfies aren't a bad thing. Excessive selfie taking is though. Believe me, nobody cares that much.

• Like 1

Never understood the selfie trend before I read about the psychological motivations behind it.

It probably doesn't help that I hate having my picture taken, by anybody else or even myself.

I have a solution to the problem ...... just like spandex should be banned for those who are little Debbie impaired ..... so should selfies.....   

On 2016-06-20 at 4:01 PM, Nnicolette said:

Oh well nothing wrong with knowing how amazing you are as reminded countless times by groupies. I gather there are numerous reasons you don't show your faces.

Not showing one's face on the internet does not mean that a person doesn't think highly of themselves. Likewise, posting pictures does not automatically make someone an attention-seeking ****. It's all a question of motivation. For example, your motivation seems to be to subtly insult everyone who isn't a fan of selfies.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2016 at 3:01 PM, Podo said:

Not showing one's face on the internet does not mean that a person doesn't think highly of themselves. Likewise, posting pictures does not automatically make someone an attention-seeking ****. It's all a question of motivation. For example, your motivation seems to be to subtly insult everyone who isn't a fan of selfies.

Well thats just silly. Making things up about what i meant and claiming i insulted people is ridiculous. When i said numerous reasons why would you just make one up and pretend thats what i meant? Great discussion skills.

3 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Well thats just silly. Making things up about what i meant and claiming i insulted people is ridiculous. When i said numerous reasons why would you just make one up and pretend thats what i meant? Great discussion skills.

If that's not what you meant, then clarify a bit better next time. I claimed nothing, which you'll notice if you reread my post. I said that your motivation "seems to be to subtly insult etc etc". I made no claims, only observations. From your previous posts in the thread, it seemed like you were coming from a place of selfie-supporting arrogance. If you're not, then that's fine.

Edited by Podo
  • Like 1