Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Made meteor shower for Olympics

seeder

Man-made meteor shower to dazzle skies at 2020 Olympics (VIDEO)

A Japanese startup is aiming for the stars, literally, after detailing plans to create a man-made meteor shower for the opening ceremony of the Tokyo Olympics in 2020.

Known as ‘Sky Canvas,’ the pyrotechnics show will be visible across an area of 200km (125 miles), about 400-times wider than a usual fireworks display.

To do this, the startup called Star-ALE will launch a micro satellite into space packed with up to 1,000 pellets of various gases and elements.

https://www.rt.com/viral/343816-man-made-meteor-shower-olympics/

• Like 2

that would be amazing to see glad we will have really high quality footage of it if it does happen

• Like 3

This can't go badly.... NO......

• Like 1

I am pretty sure they won't get a permission to launch a satelitte filled with a thousand pellets. If anything goes wrong it will be a hazard to other spacecrafts.

• Like 2

I am pretty sure they won't get a permission to launch a satelitte filled with a thousand pellets. If anything goes wrong it will be a hazard to other spacecrafts.

who do they need ask for permission?

who do they need ask for permission?

Depends on what launch vehicle they intend to use.

I have looked at the article again and it looks like they won't be placed in an orbit high enough to damage other satelittes, so my earlier objection probably isn't such a big deal. Sorry about that !

In any event most ideas like this never leaves the planning stage anyway.