Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge: Easier Done Than Said

Still Waters

How did prehistoric Britons manage to move Stonehenge’s stones? Each rock weighed an average of 25 tons and stood as tall as 30 feet, and the first tractor was still five millennia away, so clearly they must have endured great pains to build the monument, right?

Much of the mystery around the site comes from the questions of how Stonehenge was built and why. A recent experiment by archaeologists at University College London provides a hint to that first part anyway.

http://news.discovery.com/history/stonehenge-easier-done-than-said-160524.htm

• Like 2

Ive posted this before but will do again for any who never saw it

Stonehenge rebuilt by one man

• Like 2

17 hours ago, seeder said:

Ive posted this before but will do again for any who never saw it

Stonehenge rebuilt by one man

Is there any evidence that the people of that time period had this sort of knowledge in engineering?  If so, there would be other, similar wonders no?  Look at Egypt.  I do not believe that "aliens" built the pyramids, because it's pretty obvious the Egyptians at that time possessed the knowledge to create those structures, because they made many of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenna91 said:

Is there any evidence that the people of that time period had this sort of knowledge in engineering?  If so, there would be other, similar wonders no?  Look at Egypt.  I do not believe that "aliens" built the pyramids, because it's pretty obvious the Egyptians at that time possessed the knowledge to create those structures, because they made many of them.

Actually a quick search pulled up a good number of megaliths, and I was able to find some built around similar times.

also somethings are unique when being made. The Egyptians may have built many  pyramids, but how many megalithic sphinxes dot the land scape. 

Edited to add a helpful link 

http://m.megalithic.co.uk/index.php

Edited by Shouldthisexist
Link

17 hours ago, Jenna91 said:

I think you're missing the point. I don't wish to speak for Seeder, but the point is, man is creative. The people who built Stonehenge decided for whatever reason,(it's irrelevant), to stand up large stones, then they came up with a way to do it. the video demonstrates this resourcefulness.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2016 at 8:55 AM, Still Waters said:

How did prehistoric Britons manage to move Stonehenge’s stones? Each rock weighed an average of 25 tons and stood as tall as 30 feet, and the first tractor was still five millennia away, so clearly they must have endured great pains to build the monument, right?

Much of the mystery around the site comes from the questions of how Stonehenge was built and why. A recent experiment by archaeologists at University College London provides a hint to that first part anyway.

http://news.discovery.com/history/stonehenge-easier-done-than-said-160524.htm

The article says that they may have even got up to 1 mph. Which would mean a minimum of 140 hours to get from Wales to the construction site. Considering the terrain, probably it took three or more times that long. But, the point being, even if it was 1000 hours, that is way less then even one year to get the stones there. They might have been able to do most of it in one summer.

Yes it was hard which is why so few large stones were moved in comparison to how many years people were doing that. I once moved a 4 ton block of stone out o ourf excavation site using a score of grad students, it was hard work but we did it in three days. We had to use manual labor as a truck couldn't get into the center of exac. Yes and we cheated and used an A frame and some pulleys!

• Like 2

Not every megalith monuments were as complexe as Stonehenge, but there are quite a few tumulus or portal tombs which would use the same techniques to move and place massive stones. There are also the field with rows of single standing stones, which French call menhirs.

• Like 1