Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

Still Waters

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

One's favorite version of Windows is like a comfortable old easy chair one is loath to surrender; I clung to Vista 'till the last dog was hung. Good fortune with yours, folks.:)

Do you work for Microsoft or something? You're defending Windows 10 like it's your precious...

gollum-precious.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/28/2016 at 3:23 AM, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

I'm not worried about Them knowing about all those lingerie sites I have bookmarked (i wouldn't want to be hysterical and irrational <_<), it's all the hassle that updating something that size inevitably involves, and the problems that people have reported. And yes, it is also being continually nagged which I resent.

Folks the more I use Windows 10 the better I like it.  I've gotten no blue screens (unlike with 7 that I had before), one now has several ways to manipulate and move and rename and all that stuff (not just right clicking, although that remains), and it really is more stable and faster.  I especially like the ribbon.

They way they have gone about putting it out there however does stink, and they have no right taking information without permission (and not just one of those "privacy statements" that give them the moon, but specific permission in each case).  They all violate this sort of thing though, and have the clout to prevent necessary legislation, not just Microsoft.

The weird vector graphic style windows and menus that I moaned about have now all gone??!?  Everything is back to normal...

When the update was in progress there was some text onscreen that informed me about some impressive new features.  Well, Ive not noticed anything new yet...unless the wire frame issue was some new form of theme..

What I wonder is why Microsoft is so very anxious to get everyone onto windows 10? It's almost like an obsession of some type.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Lilly said:

What I wonder is why Microsoft is so very anxious to get everyone onto windows 10? It's almost like an obsession of some type.

Mostly to get their new business model, which is to compete with google in personal information trade, going.

• Like 4

and to toss a whole department of legacy support employees off the salary end which now is almost equivalent to the number of inhabitants of a modest rural town ~

• Like 1

Someone in this thread posted a link to Steve Gibson's Never10, but I cant find who it was now.

Anyway, whoever it was, many thanks, I've installed it on both my machines.

Is it possible that somewhere down the line a situation will crop up whereby, all those who did not pay for Windows 10 will find themselves without the rights that those who did pay for it will have? I have no idea what that situation would be, I was just thinking in a broad way of consumers' rights.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • Like 1

Well, I resisted Win 10 but got it compulsorily installed as I bought a new PC and laptop, it is okay, and possibly their best OS yet.

7 minutes ago, alibongo said:

Well, I resisted Win 10 but got it compulsorily installed as I bought a new PC and laptop, it is okay, and possibly their best OS yet.

Except it sends back data to the mother ship....and it deleted the Windows 7 games I had downloaded and installed. I hate Microsoft.

• Like 1

Im beginning to ponder on the possibility that Win 10 as the worlds first `Front Door`. 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:37 PM, Euphorbia said:

Except it sends back data to the mother ship....and it deleted the Windows 7 games I had downloaded and installed. I hate Microsoft.

They should still be on your hard drive--not directly accessible until you move them--in the "Old Windows" file, along with anything else you may be missing.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:34 AM, LV-426 said:

Do you work for Microsoft or something? You're defending Windows 10 like it's your precious...

gollum-precious.jpg

It works for me. I've worked with Windows since the DOS days. New versions of Window are always hated by some. So, I've long since realized the futility of turning my back while humming loudly and backing into the future. It is what it is and I've just learned to deal with it.

Edited by Hammerclaw

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:18 AM, Lilly said:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/12/21/why-microsoft-is-pushing-windows-10-this-hard/  FYI

54 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

It works for me. I've worked with Windows since the DOS days. New versions of Window are always hated by some. So, I've long since realized the futility of turning my back while humming loudly and backing into the future. It is what it is and I've just learned to deal with it.

That's the funny thing, you seem to be quite happy to accept that a product one particular company pushes on everyone is "the future". This is exactly the opposite of how the market is supposed to work, when people are supposed to have a choice in everything. Instead one company pushes its own product and it's accepted that this is how it must be, as if Micro Soft was a dictator. 

Anyway, I'm not bothered about Windows X now that Micro Soft have stopped their endless tedious "Upgrade to Windows X!  It's Fun, free and it gives you free cake!!" popups. If and when i do get a new computer at some point, it'll have it already installed, of course, so then I'll have to use it (see comments above), but having used it on other machines I don't have any particular complaint about it. It's just the dominance and presumptuousness of micro Soft. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes, they're trying to force windows users to move to windows 10, so they can have their way and spy on us through key loggers, spy tasks and other applications that constantly feed on our privacy..

On 5/24/2016 at 3:23 PM, Use your brain said:

I'm hoping a company will pick up Linux and make it be able to have full compatibility with everything Windows has.

If Mozilla had the resources it would be like a vulcan mind-meld ftw against the hostile aliens

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I really don't see the reason for Windows updates, or new versions, except to control the mind of the user.  With Linux though, the permissions code by default is 666

I see that as a sign