Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Microsoft Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'

Still Waters

Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.

And this has caused confusion as typically clicking a red cross closes a pop-up notification.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

• Like 7

Microsoft is trying their best to chase away users.

I'm hoping a company will pick up Linux and make it be able to have full compatibility with everything Windows has.

Steam OS would have been awesome, but they couldn't get around the compatibility issues.

• Like 1

From that site...

"Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box."

THAT is manipulative. So, so wrong. That's a technique used by some scammers.

Shame, shame, shame.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

From that site...

"Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box."

THAT is manipulative. So, so wrong. That's a technique used by some scammers.

Shame, shame, shame.

Absolutely the same tactic. Does that mean Windows 10 = malware? (Don't answer that - Big Brother Gates is watching)

• Like 4

What? That is so wrong!

I've turned off the upgrades thingy. Does that keep the upgrade at bay?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Absolutely the same tactic. Does that mean Windows 10 = malware? (Don't answer that - Big Brother Gates is watching)

12 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Yeah. What kind of a precedent is this setting?

So, clicking on the "red X" no longer means "I do not accept, close the window" ??

What kind of manipulative BS is that coming from, of all places, Microsoft?

That is clearly a sneaky, fraudulent change.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Princess Serenity said:

What? That is so wrong!

I've turned off the upgrades thingy. Does that keep the upgrade at bay?

Yes, I think, but you will also lose automatic security Microsoft updates.

You can do the security updates manually, however.

Not sure about all this now, though.

This is an outrageous violation of commonality in computing.

I hope they get sued.

Completely outrageous, forcing people to accept what is possibly the best version of windows ever made--for free. Don't worry; after the next few weeks they won't try to cram it down your throats anymore for nothing. They'll start charging for it. Then you'll all be crying about how unfair that is. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Completely outrageous, forcing people to accept what is possibly the best version of windows ever made--for free. Don't worry; after the next few weeks they won't try to cram it down your throats anymore for nothing. They'll start charging for it. Then you'll all be crying about how unfair that is. :rolleyes:

So you're happy with having "the best version of Widnows Ever!!" forced on you whether you want it or not? Particularly since installing it to replace existing setups can cause all sorts of problems, as people here could tell you? You're not concerned in the slightest that they're trying to force this on people essentially through fraudulent means? You see no problem with that? 

Edited by Otto von Pickelhaube
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Otto von Pickelhaube said:

So you're happy with having "the best version of Widnows Ever!!" forced on you whether you want it or not? Particularly since installing it to replace existing setups can cause all sorts of problems, as people here could tell you? You're not concerned in the slightest that they're trying to force this on people essentially through fraudulent means? You see no problem with that? 

Microsoft is switching to the same sort of setup as Apple uses for their OS. One Windows updated regularly, gratis with an app store. All versions before the latest will be eventually unsupported. If you update in error or are tricked into taking something for free and don't like it, you can restore the eventually unsupported version you now use. Mark my words, many crying foul now will be crying later when they have to pay for what they can have now for free. Oh, wicked Microsoft! Your generosity is so evil!

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

I think the problem with Win 10 for most of us is that it is a hybrid system intended to be used on all devices: touchscreens, tablets, phones etc. as MS are desperate to keep their dominance of the market (I read Apple made more money out of the iPhone than MS made out of all of its products since the dawn of time).

As such, it is not specific for the PC and so can be clumsy and confusing.

I have tried Win 8 and Win 10, and shall keep Win 7 until they no longer support it,  which I think is in 2020.

• Like 2

I don't object to Windows 10 when I use it on other machines, it's just the inconvenience and the potential for problems involved with installing it in place of a prexisting system.

• Like 2

Friends upgraded my system to Windows 10 and then tweaked it for me while I was in the hospital.  By reports it took many hours.  Still, it is noticeably faster and has a lot of goodies.  One has to learn very little to make it work, and over time one discovers little things that are neat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Microsoft is switching to the same sort of setup as Apple uses for their OS. One Windows updated regularly, gratis with an app store. All versions before the latest will be eventually unsupported. If you update in error or are tricked into taking something for free and don't like it, you can restore the eventually unsupported version you now use. Mark my words, many crying foul now will be crying later when they have to pay for what they can have now for free. Oh, wicked Microsoft! Your generosity is so evil!

A good rule of thumb is never take anything for free except that which you have gone out to trusted sources looking for, and then carefully decline all the offers during installation.

Oh, I know very well wanting to cling to the system one is accustomed to--I hung  on, tooth and nail to Vista--of all things--to the bitter end, until I was made unwelcome on numerous sites, bellhops insulted my dog, waiters refused to sit us and cabbies ignored my hails. Finally, with tears in my eyes, I purchased a cheap unwanted copy of windows 7 from a seedy online store, swallowed my pride and accepted the free upgrade to win 10. Wow! I'm running it on a decrepit old Compaq CQ70 32 bit system with a paltry 4 gigs of RAM and the old girl has gained a new lease on life. It's the quickest, smoothest and shiniest she's ever run.  Just be sure to carefully preserve your files if you choose to make the change. I forgot to but was able to dig them out of a Norton backup.

Some folks seem to confuse windows 8 with windows 10. There's a slight learning curve but no way win 10 is "clumsy". It adapts itself to the system running it.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank Merton said:

Friends upgraded my system to Windows 10 and then tweaked it for me while I was in the hospital.  By reports it took many hours.  Still, it is noticeably faster and has a lot of goodies.  One has to learn very little to make it work, and over time one discovers little things that are neat.

hey Frank  :st

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh, I know very well wanting to cling to the system one is accustomed to--I hung  on, tooth and nail to Vista--of all things--to the bitter end, until I was made unwelcome on numerous sites, bellhops insulted my dog, waiters refused to sit us and cabbies ignored my hails. Finally, with tears in my eyes, I purchased a cheap unwanted copy of windows 7 from a seedy online store, swallowed my pride and accepted the free upgrade to win 10. Wow! I'm running it on a decrepit old Compaq CQ70 32 bit system with a paltry 4 gigs of RAM and the old girl has gained a new lease on life. It's the quickest, smoothest and shiniest she's ever run.  Just be sure to carefully preserve your files if you choose to make the change. I forgot to but was able to dig them out of a Norton backup.

Some folks seem to confuse windows 8 with windows 10. There's a slight learning curve but no way win 10 is "clumsy". It adapts itself to the system running it.

Concerns about Windows 10 don't arise from speed, reliability or usability, as they did with Windows Vista.

Windows 10 has taken an entirely new direction with regards to privacy and security - as well as the aggressive marketing demonstrated with this latest trick. From the open-ended terms and conditions through to the vast amounts of personal data Microsoft gather to "improve user experience" Windows 10 is a whole new ball game.

If you're happy with this new approach, then no problem, you have a decent OS. I would seriously recommend doing some research to at least make sure you are familiar with privacy and security settings though. The default options for a new install are basically "I want you to know what colour underpants I'm wearing."

Microsoft, like any global corporation - and despite Bill Gates' new found life as a philanthropist - don't do "generosity." They want money, and if they aren't getting it through traditional sales, you have to ask yourself how valuable the information they gather is to third-parties?

• Like 4

^Thanks. Thanks a lot. The post you quoted had convinced me to take the plunge while I can for free. Now you've put me back on the fence.:lol:

ETA btw, for everyone with broken tags in their sigs, edit signature, copy everything, delete every thing then save. Reedit, paste the sig info back in and save again. Fixed.  

Edited by AZDZ
  • Like 1

For me Windows 10  was a very easy, trouble free process. Best OS since XP.  Microsoft got this one right

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LV-426 said:

Concerns about Windows 10 don't arise from speed, reliability or usability, as they did with Windows Vista.

Windows 10 has taken an entirely new direction with regards to privacy and security - as well as the aggressive marketing demonstrated with this latest trick. From the open-ended terms and conditions through to the vast amounts of personal data Microsoft gather to "improve user experience" Windows 10 is a whole new ball game.

If you're happy with this new approach, then no problem, you have a decent OS. I would seriously recommend doing some research to at least make sure you are familiar with privacy and security settings though. The default options for a new install are basically "I want you to know what colour underpants I'm wearing."

Microsoft, like any global corporation - and despite Bill Gates' new found life as a philanthropist - don't do "generosity." They want money, and if they aren't getting it through traditional sales, you have to ask yourself how valuable the information they gather is to third-parties?

I don't have any worries concerning internet privacy--I don't expect any. Any one that does is living in a fool's paradise. The most amusing are the ones who prattle on about privacy yet link everything to facebook where they spill their guts on a regular basis. Every major player on line mines data.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't have any worries concerning internet privacy--I don't expect any. Any one that does is living in a fool's paradise. The most amusing are the ones who prattle on about privacy yet link everything to facebook where they spill their guts on a regular basis. Every major player on line mines data.

The difference is: without Windows 10 you are still in control what of your data is mineable. With Windows 10 you gave them the key to the locker.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, questionmark said:

The difference is: without Windows 10 you are still in control what of your data is mineable. With Windows 10 you gave them the key to the locker.

Your naivety is...charming. Every time you log in on a site and it loads tracking cookies on your computer, you've been mined. I just hope it was good for you, too.

25 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Your naivety is...charming. Every time you log in on a site and it loads tracking cookies on your computer, you've been mined. I just hope it was good for you, too.

Websites gathering data is easily avoidable even with just a simple browser extension. Also there are numerous free VPNs out there these days.

Your OS gathering the data is a much larger problem.

• Like 1