Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Mars emerging from deep freeze?

seeder

Mars may have had ICE AGES similar to Earth: Nasa radar data show signs the red planet is emerging from a deep freeze

Data show 87,000 cubic kilometres of ice has accumulated at Martian poles
    Radar analysis revealed differences between frozen layers at the poles
    Scientists believe ice has accumulated over the last 370,000 years
    The team believes this indicates Mars experienced an Ice Age, which would have been driven by similar forces to those on Earth

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3611117/Mars-ICE-AGES-similar-Earth-Nasa-radar-data-signs-red-planet-emerging-deep-freeze.html#ixzz49nad1s4A

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So what'll happen if it melts?

it gets wetter!  :lol:

....just what any long dormant microbes need perhaps.... if there are any that is...

• Like 1

I'm wondering about that too. If the environment heats up enough to melt all the frozen water, and whatever else is frozen. Will the whole planet change?

Like this.....

ancient-mars-ocean-water.jpg?1425572445?

• Like 1

Pure water doesn't melt on Mars, it sublimes, going straight from the solid phase to the gaseous phase. I would think that this means that it is unlikely that the Martian surface would become significantly wetter. There would be more water vapour in the atmosphere however.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Mars also has frozen CO2 right? Couldn't that lead to a mild greenhouse effect?

I'm no expert in climate science, but I don't see why not.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 1

Good article...I also found it interesting in regards to scientists finding evidence of two mega tsunamis that swept across Mars billions of years ago which changed the landscape due to two large meteorite impacts which left the elevated shorelines.

It's amazing that Mars was once a blue watery planet in comparison to what it looks like today with it's rocky and dry terrain. 

• Like 1