Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Phoenician with European DNA

seeder

3 hours ago, back to earth said:

Shame on you !   Call yourself an Aussie ?  

vegemite is not marmite nor promite ... heathen ! 

yes marmite is beef extract but vegemite is made from a yeast by product .   We had so much of it lying around we had to market it to get rid of it .

Can anyone guess where all that old used yeast came from ?  

639892-drinking.jpg

Eww. A brown food paste? I shouldn't knock it because i've never tried it, but all that extra yeast could've gone into making more beer.

And contrary to what a previous poster stated, I like Fosters. I prefer nearly any import. What I don't desire is most any American beer because we Americans never seem to have developed a talent for making good beer.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Eww. A brown food paste? I shouldn't knock it because i've never tried it, but all that extra yeast could've gone into making more beer.

And contrary to what a previous poster stated, I like Fosters. I prefer nearly any import. What I don't desire is most any American beer because we Americans never seem to have developed a talent for making good beer.

Good at reading facial expressions? If your impatient FFWD for the taste test about 2.40 mins in :lol: BTW Marmite is for MEN! Manly men!..... Vegemite is for...you know...those soft lads down under :lol:

Edited by seeder

1 hour ago, kmt_sesh said:

Eww. A brown food paste? I shouldn't knock it because i've never tried it,.

To me it tasted liked burnt very salty goat meat - it can be tolerated but I could never figure out a reason to tolerate it.

12 hours ago, Jarocal said:

You bred tuna?

(Going way offtopic here, but at least it's real..)  Not really, but I helped facilitate..  I was the manager of the marine research centre where the preliminary work evolved..  I will confess that during my time there most of the work was to better manage the farming of tuna (wild tuna were caught in huge nets that were slowly dragged to a farming zone, and then fattened up - these were Australian Southern Bluefin tuna for the high-end Japanese sashimi market, not the cheap tinned tuna market)..  But it became clear that it was not really ecologically sustainable so we started looking at the ways they could be bred in captivity..  The biggest problem is that tuna are migratory pelagic (ie ocean-traveling) hunters and at various stages in their life cycle, just don't like tanks/fenced areas much..  So the scientists working on it had to come up with some very clever stuff to make them happy, and eventually succeeded.  I confess I haven't kept up to date so i don't know how well that has all been implemented or if any of it will trickle down into the mass markets - one can but hope.  

Permaculture is a minor rectification of removing herbivores from the suburban homestead through plaguing us with lawn mowers.

:D

I'll concede WiFi and Google Maps as worthy contribution. Thank you Oz.

(..bows politely)

• Like 1

...I just like how marmite/vegemite/etc is consistently labelled as "food paste" as if without the word food on the bottle, people might not know it's edible. American potted meat has the same label issue.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

...I just like how marmite/vegemite/etc is consistently labelled as "food paste" as if without the word food on the bottle, people might not know it's edible. American potted meat has the same label issue.

--Jaylemurph

to the contrary of potted meat vegemite demonstrates one thing evidently: The little we eat we might as well can drink.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:46 PM, Gingitsune said:

No Sumeran DNA yet, but we are gaining a better understanding of the surrounding region ancient DNA. An important paper was issued just two weeks ago:

http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2016/06/16/059311.figures-only

They studied Levant, Anatolia and Zagros mountains. Nothing for the Arabic Peninsula or Southern Mesopotamia yet, but we can hope there will be some finding in the years to come. There is also the possibility that the Gulf Persic was an important refugium back in the last glaciation, there may be important remain to dig underwater.

Here's a summary of the y-DNA and mt-DNA they found:

There are other mt-DNA in the first data table I of the paper, but I don't know where they come from...
I see no U5b2c though.

As for Y-DNA, Sumerian could have been the basic CT for all we know.

Found a bit more material on a possible Sumerian remnant based on suggestion by Roxanna Cooper at the Hall of Ma'at

I wonder if the Ma'dan (Marsh Arabs) are the descendants of Sumerians?

o58uVaJ.jpg

The origins of the Ma'dan are still a matter of some interest. British colonial ethnographers found it difficult to classify some of the Madan's social customs and speculated that they might have originated in India.[13]

Many scholars have proposed historical and genetic links between the Marsh Arabs and the ancient Sumerians based on shared agricultural practices and methods of house-building. There is, however, no written record of the marsh tribes until the ninth century, and the Sumerians lost their distinct ethnic identity by around 1800 BCE, some 2700 years before.Others, however, have noted that much of the culture of the Ma'dan is in fact shared with the desert Bedouin who came to the area after the fall of the Abbasid Caliphate, and that it is therefore likely that they are descended from this source, at least in part.

Genetic Evidence

A 2011 Study showed that Marsh Arabs have a high concentration of Y-chomosomal Haplogroup J-M267 and mtDNA haplogroup J having the highest concentration, with haplogroups H, U and T following.[16] According to this study, Marsh Arabs have the following haplogroups.

http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/212/art%3A10.1186%2F1471-2148-11-288.pdf?originUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fbmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com%2Farticle%2F10.1186%2F1471-2148-11-288&token2=exp=1467402268~acl=%2Fstatic%2Fpdf%2F212%2Fart%253A10.1186%252F1471-2148-11-288.pdf*~hmac=6e7023e4b7eac8fdce6440c722ac887e08e43ca134ff5f5fee724eb78014034f

reyKxRB.jpg

Edited by Hanslune