Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Clues to birth of supermassive black holes

Merc14

NASA announced yesterday (May 24, 2016) that astrophysicists have taken a major step forward in understanding how supermassive black holes formed. Using data from three different telescopes, researchers have found the best evidence yet to suggest that supermassive black holes in the early universe were produced by the direct collapse of a massive gas cloud.

For years astronomers have debated how the earliest generation of supermassive black holes formed very quickly, relatively speaking, after the Big Bang. Now, an Italian team has identified two objects in the early universe that seem to be the origin of these early supermassive black holes. The two objects represent the most promising black hole seed candidates found so far.

Supermassive black holes contain millions or even billions of times the mass of the sun. In the modern universe they can be found in the center of nearly all large galaxies, including the Milky Way. The supermassive black hole in the center of the Milky Way has a mass of four million solar masses. The two black hole seed candidates would also be the progenitors of two of the modern supermassive black holes, say the researchers.

The group used computer models and applied a new analysis method to data from the NASA Chandra X-ray Observatory, the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope, and the NASA Spitzer Space Telescope to find and identify the two objects. Both of these newly discovered black hole seed candidates are seen less than a billion years after the Big Bang and have an initial mass of about 100,000 times the sun.

Article continues:  http://earthsky.org/space/clues-to-birth-of-supermassive-black-holes?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=d3e4774c57-EarthSky_News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-d3e4774c57-394012957

I do think that Merc 14,is only making a statement of the new research being conducted in this field to find the origins of massive black holes by those working within it,and not making a statement of his belief that this is how massive black holes were formed.

6 hours ago, freckflyer said:

I do think that Merc 14,is only making a statement of the new research being conducted in this field to find the origins of massive black holes by those working within it,and not making a statement of his belief that this is how massive black holes were formed.

Actually I am just C&P'ing the first part of the linked article.  It will be interesting to see what the study comes up with but I am neither defending or criticizing it, just posting so you folks can read it if you''d like.  Interesting hypothesis though.

14 hours ago, Merc14 said:

Actually I am just C&P'ing the first part of the linked article.  It will be interesting to see what the study comes up with but I am neither defending or criticizing it, just posting so you folks can read it if you''d like.  Interesting hypothesis though.

I cant understand those who use quotes by others,to try and make a statement.Why not use their own interlect to come up wih something.Carl Sagan,if i remember ,at one time thought that those who believed in little green men,were either cranks ,or nutters,and disputed the whole UFO phenomenon

2 hours ago, freckflyer said:

I cant understand those who use quotes by others,to try and make a statement.

It might be because this is a section for Astronomy and Astrophysics NEWS.

Edited to add:

The main Space Exploration, Spaceflight and Astronomy forum would be the place to post ideas and questions that were not news related and the Extraterrestrial Life & The UFO Phenomenon section would be the correct place to make comments about UFOs,

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
added information.
  • Like 1

Reading comprehension is one of the most important skills that are required to think and to discuss about black holes and astronomy in    general.

:yes:

Reading comprehension is one of the most important skills that are required to think and to discuss about black holes and astronomy in    general.

:yes:

8 hours ago, freckflyer said:

I cant understand those who use quotes by others,to try and make a statement.Why not use their own interlect to come up wih something.Carl Sagan,if i remember ,at one time thought that those who believed in little green men,were either cranks ,or nutters,and disputed the whole UFO phenomenon

Your post makes little sense, especially in this forum.  I posted a portion of the article and a link to the whole article so others, who may have missed it, can go and take a look.  I'm not making any statements or drawing any conclusions, merely letting folks know it is there.  It isn't my theory and I am not an astrophysicist but I do enjoy following the latest science and thought others may enjoy reading the piece themselves.  They may or may not comment on it, as often happens in here, but they got the chance to read it, which is all I intended

• Like 1