Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cellphone-Cancer Link Found

aztek

A major U.S. government study on rats has found a link between cellphones and cancer, an explosive finding in the long-running debate about whether mobile phones cause health effects.

The multiyear, peer-reviewed study, by the National Toxicology Program, found “low incidences” of two types of tumors in male rats that were exposed to the type of radio frequencies that are commonly emitted by cellphones. The tumors were gliomas, which are in the glial cells of the brain, and schwannomas of the heart.

“Given the widespread global usage of mobile communications among users of all ages, even a very small increase in the incidence of disease resulting from exposure to [radio-frequency radiation] could have broad implications for public health,” according to a report of partial findings from the study, which was released late Thursday.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cellphone-cancer-link-found-in-government-study-1464324146

i'm so glad i'm not mobile phone junkie. thou with all phones around me, i do not think it makes much difference.  

• Like 2

Any form of radiation can potentially be a mutagen, causing cancers among other effects, so it really is no surprise that a study has found a tentative link. I would imagine the potential for the radio waves used in mobile communication to induce tumours is very low, but it is not zero.

• Like 3

Just now, aztek said:

no surprises someone questioned it.  

Of course. If the study has a flaw why wouldn't it be questioned?

Thankfully, kids these days prefer "text messaging" which places the phone away from their head, uh, and unfortunately also their hands and eyes away from oncoming traffic and the steering wheel.  :o

2 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Thankfully, kids these days prefer "text messaging" which places the phone away from their head, uh, and unfortunately also their hands and eyes away from oncoming traffic and the steering wheel.  :o

• 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
  • Like 3

One thing I'd like to know.  Every time something is thought to cause an increase in the cancer rate, it's always the males getting the higher rate.  We typically live shorter lives, we get cancer more easily.  It's not good to be a guy!  It's about time these studies start finding something that goes after females more than males.  It's only fair.

But seriously, even if the tests isn't flawed are people going to care?  All the instant gratification that's possible with cellphones would be gone.  What would we ever do?

4 minutes ago, aztek said:
  • 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.

Yeah, That's a bad problem.

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

That's just God's way or Darwin's if you prefer, of pruning the herd.

9 minutes ago, Leonardo said:

Any form of radiation can potentially be a mutagen, causing cancers among other effects, so it really is no surprise that a study has found a tentative link. I would imagine the potential for the radio waves used in mobile communication to induce tumours is very low, but it is not zero.

The problem with cellphones is the used frequency, not so much the radiation. They are in the 800 MHz to 1900 MHz bands. That is very near to 2400 Mhz used to cook in a microwave (though, with enough power you can heat water with frequencies as low as 100 Mhz). Now, if you are about to throw your cellphone away: A microwave oven dissipates Kilowatts of energy while a cellphone about 1/4 of a watt. Much more dangerous that the phones are the repeaters... for those living in immediate vicinity.

So, while it cannot be excluded that cellphones can spuriously cause cancer, the likelihood is pretty small (as every radar operator must have cancer by that logic... they do not).

• Like 1

Agreed, but without some form of radiation, we'd probably still be single celled organisms.

Just now, paperdyer said:

Agreed, but without some form of radiation, we'd probably still be single celled organisms.

Well, no, without some form of radiation (mostly heat) there would be no life.

Textving, maybe (I don't know, just now made that up) "Texting and Driving"

Edited by pallidin

7 minutes ago, questionmark said:

A microwave oven dissipates Kilowatts of energy while a cellphone about 1/4 of a watt. Much more dangerous that the phones are the repeaters... for those living in immediate vicinity.

idea is that radiation is not to leave the box, some ovens do it better than others. and time they run is short, at least in a house.  vs cell towers half a block away that broadcast megawatts in the air. 365\24\7

Edited by aztek

Just now, aztek said:

idea is that radiation is not to leave the box, some ovens do it better than others. and time they run is short, at least in a house.  vs cell towers half a block away that broadcast megawatts in the air.

ehm, yes, and that is relevant to excessive radiation causing cancer because of...?

Just now, aztek said:

idea is that radiation is not to leave the box, some ovens do it better than others. and time they run is short, at least in a house.  vs cell towers half a block away that broadcast megawatts in the air.

ehm, yes, and that is relevant to excessive radiation causing cancer because of...?

Just now, questionmark said:

If emission does not leave or not received by a cell phone, uh, Houston, we have a problem.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Anybody here ever heard of anybody else getting cancer from specifically using or pertaining to cellphones and microwaves? I've never heard one actual verified case of that.

I mean most of the people I personally had known or others I heard about, getting cancer, got their cancer from combined heavy use of alcohol and smoking anything. Also from transmitted HPV among humans.

Edited by Purifier

And please, everyone, do not confuse the the term "radioactivity" with "radio activity"

"Radioactivity" can be likened to, in short, the following: Soft x-rays, hard x-rays, gamma rays.

"Radio Activity" can be likened to "Long waves, short waves, microwaves"

1 minute ago, Purifier said:

Anybody here ever heard of anybody else getting cancer from specifically using or pertaining to cellphones and microwaves? I've never heard one actual verified case of that.

I mean most of the people I personally had known or others I heard about, getting cancer, got their cancer from heavy use of alcohol and smoking anything combined.

That is mostly because you cannot pin cancer to a single cause. You just know that you are more likely to have it with a certain behavior/environment. Whether it was the cellphone, welding or simple sun burn cannot be established anymore afterwards.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, questionmark said:

That is mostly because you cannot pin cancer to a single cause. You just know that you are more likely to have it with a certain behavior/environment. Whether it was the cellphone, welding or simple sun burn cannot be established anymore afterwards.

"Cancer" is specific. It is an abnormal continuation of cell-splitting. This is what effects the "tumor", or "growth"

In "benign" it stops at some relative point, specific to DNA disruption.

Edited by pallidin

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

"Cancer" is specific. It is an abnormal continuation of cell-splitting. This is what effects the "tumor", or "growth"

cancer, yes, the cause: no.