Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cellphone-Cancer Link Found

aztek

I'm more concerned about the power lines I live next to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wickian said:

I'm more concerned about the power lines I live next to.

Do they have shifty eyes?

• Like 1

Apple and the ghost of Steve Jobs won't want to believe that its products cause cancer.   Again there's hundreds of billions of dollars in the way.   Choppy seas ahead.

Pregnant mothers, keep your phones away from your stomach at the very least.   I'm going to keep my long distance calls short. 

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Do they have shifty eyes?

Not that I know of, but I have heard them cackling in the snow a lot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wickian said:

Not that I know of, but I have heard them cackling in the snow a lot.

quite, that is because water tends to cause disconnects on high voltage lines. But that is not really dangerous (unless somebody left his hydrogen bottle open nearby).

Since cell phones became popular, I  was suspicious of them.  You place them right near your ear while you are phoning so the radiation  doesn't have to go far to get to your brain.  Also one advantage of being old is that I remember things.  In the Fifties scientists used to say that all you had to do is stand behind that tree to be safe when either the hydrogen or atomic bomb was detonated. Soldiers started dying of cancer.  Also since cell phones started becoming popular brain cancer at least doubled.  It used to be very rare.

9 minutes ago, curious24 said:

Since cell phones became popular, I  was suspicious of them.  You place them right near your ear while you are phoning so the radiation  doesn't have to go far to get to your brain.  Also one advantage of being old is that I remember things.  In the Fifties scientists used to say that all you had to do is stand behind that tree to be safe when either the hydrogen or atomic bomb was detonated. Soldiers started dying of cancer.  Also since cell phones started becoming popular brain cancer at least doubled.  It used to be very rare.

It did not double braincancerincmortchart_tcm77-308166.png

in fact, esophageal cancer grew much faster:

figure1_esophageal-cancer-increase-600-i

• Like 1

On 5/27/2016 at 1:56 PM, Leonardo said:

Any form of radiation can potentially be a mutagen, causing cancers among other effects, so it really is no surprise that a study has found a tentative link. I would imagine the potential for the radio waves used in mobile communication to induce tumours is very low, but it is not zero.

Exactly so.  I think the average person who travels often by air gets far more of a dose.  Being a former radiographer, I learned not to stress over much on exposure while being careful to follow the rules.  In our modern world we face lots of hazards and it's more of a cumulative effect that causes most cancers.

• Like 3

Ermmm...

The group exposed to radiation got more tumors than the control group. You know what else happened? The group exposed to radiation lived significantly longer than the control group, which is probably why they ended up getting more tumors. Because the other rats died before they got a chance to even get tumors. You know how CNN should have reported this study?

CELL PHONE RADIATION MAKES RATS LIVE LONGER, BUT IS IT THE KEY TO ETERNAL LIFE?

(link)

:whistle:

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

The group exposed to radiation got more tumors than the control group. You know what else happened? The group exposed to radiation lived significantly longer than the control group, which is probably why they ended up getting more tumors. Because the other rats died before they got a chance to even get tumors. You know how CNN should have reported this study?

something fishy here, in one sentence it says control group had LESS tumors, than the next one says they did not even get a chance to get tumors. 

If that study is true, then I guess cellphones are a lethal weapon.  More people own cellphones then guns.

And you know how the liberals want to put more restrictions on them.

17 hours ago, aztek said:

something fishy here, in one sentence it says control group had LESS tumors, than the next one says they did not even get a chance to get tumors. 

Nothing fishy, maybe just wording slightly unclear. To put it simply: control group lived shorter (on average), thus had less chances to get cancer (as cancer incidence rates increase with age).

45 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Nothing fishy, maybe just wording slightly unclear. To put it simply: control group lived shorter (on average), thus had less chances to get cancer (as cancer incidence rates increase with age).

And that is the small secret all cancer researcher keep to themselves: any living organism, if it lives long enough, will develop some kind of cancer. And the higher specialized that organism is the greater the damage it will cause in it.

What is always forgotten in these cancer debated is that even if you keep away from all cancer accelerators, unless you die of something else first, you will get cancer.

So the question to ask yourself is: do I want to become a monk in a cave or do I want to live?

Edited by questionmark

On 5/27/2016 at 3:40 PM, questionmark said:

That is mostly because you cannot pin cancer to a single cause. You just know that you are more likely to have it with a certain behavior/environment. Whether it was the cellphone, welding or simple sun burn cannot be established anymore afterwards.

On 5/27/2016 at 3:49 PM, questionmark said:

cancer, yes, the cause: no.

We get cancer because we're exposed to toxins from our environments and diets that overwhelmed our immune system, with or without the cell phone.   Talk on a cell phone a lot?  Put some hot dogs on the grill, too!   What's exciting is that they can find the cancer early now, and treat it immediately with up to four deadly old treatments: chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, and chemical prescriptions galore.  

Lucky-Strike-Doctor-Cigarette-Ad.jpg

Those annoying tinfoil hat wearing people back then who kept whining that cigarettes are bad for you, lol.

• Like 1