Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dr Heimlich finally does manoeuvre

seeder

How strange! I was taught this at school, I guess when I was about 14...and THIS guy invents this, but had never done it before? Mind you I guess its hard to to know when people will start choking...

Dr Heimlich saves choking woman with manoeuvre he invented

The 96-year-old American inventor of the Heimlich manoeuvre has used the technique himself to save a choking woman at his retirement home.

Dr Henry Heimlich said he had demonstrated the technique many times but never used it in an emergency.

His action dislodged a piece of meat with a bone in it from the 87-year-old woman's airway.

"I didn't know I really could do it until the other day," he told the BBC.

Dr Heimlich was having dinner with eight or nine others at the Deupree House retirement home in Cincinnati when he turned to talk to a woman at his table and noticed she was choking.

"She had a skin colour that was no longer pink. Her mouth was puffed up and her lips were out," he told the BBC.

"Though I invented the Heimlich manoeuvre I had never been called on to do it before."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36400365

Edited by seeder
  • Like 4

"I didn't know I really could do it until the other day," he told the BBC.

I'd make sure something like that worked a couple of times before telling anyone else about it.

• Like 1

I saw this on the news this evening , but I missed the part about it being Dr Heimlich . what a wonderful story x

• Like 1

In an unrelated story, I saw where Bill Clinton performed the famous "Clinton Manoeuvre" on some woman in a receiving line. Funny, I thought he liked younger women, who knew?

Edited by Sundew

I've used this twice during my lifetime. Once on my nephew (choking on a grape) and once on my mother (choking on some chicken). Worked like a charm both times. Kudos to Dr Heimlich!

• Like 4

I've seen it used too, on a man choking in a restaurant.

I was certified for many years on it but have never had to use it.

• Like 1

I used it three times, on a little girl, an older guy and a very obese woman. The fat lady took several thrusts before it worked. The others just one.

• Like 1

I hope I never have to use it , but if I do , unclefred do you have any advice ? are you a health care worker or were the 3 incidents random events ? well done by the way , I am impressed !

• 6 months later...

That's one funeral ceremony where you wouldn't have to worry about getting all choked up.