Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Climbing home from School

DieChecker

I thought this was really amazing.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-schoolchildren-cliff-bamboo-ladder-atuleer-sichuan/

These kids get to come home to their mountain village once every two weeks, and have to climb a 800 meter series of ladders up a cliff face to do so.

• Like 1

American kids need to go through this for a while.....

• Like 2

Be a real bummer to get up there, and realise youd  forgotten something and have to go down again wouldnt it?

• Like 2

their village may be getting some assistance by way of a safer, more modern piece of infrastructure: a solid set of steel stairs.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-schoolchildren-cliff-bamboo-ladder-atuleer-sichuan/

No chance of a lift then? 

• Like 1

Often it is not a matter of intellect but rather that some areas are not as affluent as others so they must make do with what they have.

People will do what they have to do to make sure their kids have an education so they might have a chance to have a slightly better life later on. Not everyone is swimming in money but I can bet that at least these kids can write and speak coherently and actually think unlike may kids today who cannot even say "Hello" when greeted and may, even after graduation, still talk like toddlers; mumbling and garbling their words so badly you can only guess at what they are trying to say even when you ask them to repeat themselves.

Im pretty sure the amount of steel that will go into this new set of safer steel stairs would be comparable to building a structure down below

Just build them a proper network infrastructure and they can have video conferencing lessons with their teacher at home instead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gecks said:

How stupid are people. Screw the staircase just build a new school at the bottom

Actually the village is at the top, and the school is miles, and miles away in the valley. Building a school in the valley wouldn't fix the issue of climbing the ladders. 

Building a school in their village.... Now that would fix the issue. However the rest of the villagers still need to go up and down the ladder to go to the nearby town. Stairs would still be super helpful in that regard.

I'd think a elevator/lift might be even easier to build then stairs, and make the village zombie proof.

• Like 1

I this was in my town the parents would be lost without being able to use the 4x4.  A 4x4 is seen as essential even for a 500 metre run.

Ah, builds character with these kids.  

Just think of what they get to tell their kids.    Much better than my walking a mile to school.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sakari said:

American kids need to go through this for a while.....

Never happen.  Some rights group would complain and the kids sent by copter.

I used to complain about walking a few blocks up a 35% grade to get to high school.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

I used to complain about walking a few blocks up a 35% grade to get to high school.

I complain now about how the busses stop at every house.   I wish the kids would gather at certain spots for a larger pickup.   They do it in such an inefficient manner. 

That people elect to stay after an education is a tribute to the social unity and resilience of the community. Perhaps there is merit to the isolation that exists when all connectivity is limited to a ladder.

I think a slide that went to the bottom of the mountain might be a quick way (and FUN) way down.

• Like 1

Wow next time an old timer tells me they walked 10 miles uphill both ways in the snow i am going to have to refer to this village and thier good fortune in walking to school ;)