Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of life's building blocks on comet

seeder

:tu:

Rosetta probe discovers evidence of life's building blocks on comet
The discovery lends weight to the theory that comets 'seed' planets with the raw ingredients of life

Key building blocks of life have been discovered by a European spacecraft orbiting a comet.

The Rosetta probe found clear evidence of the amino acid glycine, a basic component of proteins, and the mineral phosphorus, which helps build DNA.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/rosetta-probe-discovers-evidence-of-lifes-building-blocks-on-comet-a7053051.html

• Like 4

Oh Boy, I thought a post like this would send people into a frenzy...I mean, its NOT just Earth that gets hits by comets is it?

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

Oh Boy, I thought a post like this would send people into a frenzy...I mean, its NOT just Earth that gets hits by comets is it?

Why would it send people into a frenzy? It is simply more confirmation of what has been known for a long time, that the many of the building blocks of life are found on comets.

This discovery adds one new amino acid and phosphorous to that list of life's building blocks, an important and interesting discovery to be sure but not Earth shattering in itself.

3 hours ago, Echosignal said:

Sperm Planet

@_o

16 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Why would it send people into a frenzy? It is simply more confirmation of what has been known for a long time, that the many of the building blocks of life are found on comets.

This discovery adds one new amino acid and phosphorous to that list of life's building blocks, an important and interesting discovery to be sure but not Earth shattering in itself.

Oh I agree to a point, I was more meaning the UFO/ET crowd,.... I mean THEY all want proof of the possibility of ET life....plus those on certain religious threads....who accept point blank the word of God minus evolution

16 hours ago, seeder said:

Oh I agree to a point, I was more meaning the UFO/ET crowd,.... I mean THEY all want proof of the possibility of ET life....plus those on certain religious threads....who accept point blank the word of God minus evolution

The UFO/ET crowd, as you call them, already believe that NASA is holding back proof of ADVANCED extraterrestrial life. 

Those that reject evolution reject the evidence which does not fit with their beliefs  (besides the argument for the origin of life is not the same as that for evolution anyway).

Given these points why would you possibly think that these two groups would be in a frenzy.

I think about all these new discoveries and all the firsts . this new discovery was sent to us by a satellite, the first to orbit a comet . I can't wait for the day the new discovery will be the first public public announcement of life in the universe other then on earth , what ever they may be. Also about this new discovery on this comet , if they found organic compounds within the comets atmosphere and all that is needed is energy to create life,possibly,  isn't that itself proof of life out side of earth because our skies are sprinkled with energy giving stars that go on for infinity , if this comet has all the ingredients to create life , the only thing it is lacking is energy, the universe is full of energy , I think the science world now thinks not if proof of life will be found but when, how and what will the life be . also I didn't like the comment the satellite was  'sniffing the comets atmosphere ' to me that read  like a dog sniffing another dog , what a dreadful phrase . I can think of more pleasant words to use .

9 minutes ago, Ozfactor said:

Also about this new discovery on this comet , if they found organic compounds within the comets atmosphere and all that is needed is energy to create life,possibly,  isn't that itself proof of life out side of earth because our skies are sprinkled with energy giving stars that go on for infinity

No, it's not proof of life. The building blocks of a stone wall are stones. Discovering stones is NOT proof of stone walls.

If the process was as simple as you claim then in labs all over the world people would be mixing the right organic chemicals, adding energy and creating life. Many have tried that, none have succeeded.

The only proof of life off the Earth is actually discovering life off the Earth. This constitutes no such proof, although it is more evidence that life of the Earth is likely, but that is a long way short of proof.

• Like 1

Take it from a chemist with a minor interest in astronomy. This is utterly unsurprising.