Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best close-up of Pluto’s surface

Merc14

There seems to be less intelligent fungus than I was lead to believe.

• Like 4

Wow. When seen as a globe, Pluto is a beautiful planet.

• Like 4

Dang! That is seriously impressive. I would have never envisioned Pluto in that way at all. Thanks.

It is an amazingly diverse planet.   New Horizons still has months more of data to download to the deep space network as the distance limits the downlink speed to a measly 2,000 bits per second so still lot's of new stuff awaits us on the crafts data recorders.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Isn't there some Bigfoot tracks near the ice plains?    :lol:

• Like 1

I like how the vid is titled 'no audio'.... :lol: well what do you expect from Pluto?

Good nonetheless :tu:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, seeder said:

I like how the vid is titled 'no audio'.... :lol: well what do you expect from Pluto?

Good nonetheless :tu:

'In space, no one can hear you pontificate."  Wait, that's not right????

• Like 5

Very cool, you could the rebel base there :) i hope they take more video

3 hours ago, coolguy said:

i hope they take more video

New Horizons is a long way past Pluto now and can't take any more images of that dwarf planet. These are the best close ups it took.

There are still more images in New Horizons memory to be downloaded but the next time it takes significant numbers of new images will be when it passes the Kuiper Belt Object 2014 MU69 on 1st January 2019.

• Like 4

Wow, really super cool.  So glad to be alive at the beginning of the space age. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GreenmansGod said:

Wow, really super cool.  So glad to be alive at the beginning of the space age. 

yea before we ruin it with our trash.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zero Fox FK said:

These images are from 3 years ago! 

May I suggest that if you want to post about conspiracy theories then the logical place to do so would be in the appropriate forum: Conspiracies & Secret Societies

• Like 1

2b6aa5ee1001234087547fe867c55124.jpg

All joking aside, that is really really cool to see, thank you for sharing. The geography is really really diverse, I was not expecting that :)

• Like 3

Ultra cool video and clarity, but, as I've stated several times before, where are the full photo shots of our own moon with this same quality?

3 hours ago, Saitung said:

Ultra cool video and clarity, but, as I've stated several times before, where are the full photo shots of our own moon with this same quality?

Umm, all over the place?  We have images of the astronaut footprints on the Moon.

• Like 1

Awesome post. That is magnificent.

How do the "chaotic, blocky mountains" transition so suddenly to the "cellular icy nitrogen plains" so quickly.   I am thinking there are a whole lot of scientists talking about this amazing dwarf planet today.

Pluto has an amazing variety of surface features. As we all know, Pluto was relegated from being a planet to a dwarf planet, and under the current system there will be no return to its former status. However, I suggest a new category be introduced to describe Pluto - A Special Dwarf Planet. I say this because Pluto is in the same category as, for instance, Ceres, but is a far more interesting place. It somehow seems appropriate that having been relegated in status by mere humans, Pluto - a god known for his defiance - turns out to be one of the most spectacular places in the Solar System. I think if we had of had these images before 2006 there would have been overwhelming public - and professional - opposition to Pluto's relegation from planetary status, regardless of the planetary definitions of "vacuuming up" other bodies, and so on.

23 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

and under the current system there will be no return to its former status.

That is because the current system makes sense.

25 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

However, I suggest a new category be introduced to describe Pluto - A Special Dwarf Planet

That is based on an unbelievably arbitrary and unscientific test, namely whether you find it interesting, see below.

27 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

I say this because Pluto is in the same category as, for instance, Ceres,

And your point is? Earth is in the same category as both Mercury and Jupiter, yet the three world couldn't be more different.

31 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

but is a far more interesting place.

Based on what criteria? You weren't one of those fascinated by Ceres' bight spots?

There are many planetary scientists that will make their career studying Ceres as it represents a clue into the formation of the inner solar system and therefore the Earth, that, to me, makes it a hugely interesting place.

Your idea of a designation of "Special Dwarf Planet" is a total nonsense. It is based on a personal, emotional, rather than a scientific, rational view. It can not be applied from Earth as it needs an object to have been examined by a space probe and so leaves us ignorant as to whether most dwarf planets should be designated "special" or not. How do you know that the other Dwarf planets in the Kuiper Belt aren't similar to Pluto or have even more diverse surface features. If so would they be classed as "Special Dwarf Planets" too? How clever is your system going to look if every KBO large enough to be a dwarf planet has to be designated "special"?

If on the other hand the designation "special" is ONLY for Pluto then how would that be explained to future generations if, for example it is discovered , that Makemake has some of the most fascinating geology in the solar system

Each planet in the solar system is unique and fascinating, it would be totally ridiculous to have one planet designated as "special" just because some individuals found it more interesting than the others. The same holds true for the dwarf planets of the solar system.

I had hoped my reference to the god Pluto would have set the lighthearted and unscientific tone of my posting. I obviously failed to do that. However, is what I have said so irrational? If there is more going on geologically with Pluto than with Ceres, does that not make Pluto a more scientifically interesting place? I did find the bright spot on Ceres interesting, but I find the very varied topography of Pluto far more interesting. To me that makes it more special than Ceres. In a similar way I find nucleons more interesting than electrons, because they contain quarks and electrons do not. Science is itself objective, but the study of science isn't always. People - and funding bodies - often choose subjects because they find them more interesting than others. That is why I like astronomy more than chemistry, for instance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2016 at 7:41 AM, Merc14 said:

Umm, all over the place?  We have images of the astronaut footprints on the Moon.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend or start a debate. When I said “full photo shots of our own moon with this same quality?” I meant recent photos of quadrants that are untouched before being released to the public. As a person who held a secret military clearance, studying our closest astrological body, I just wanted to point out that there are areas of our moon blocked from view just as areas of the earth are blocked from view.

Edited by Saitung

2 hours ago, Saitung said:

As a person who held a secret military clearance, studying our closest astrological body, I just wanted to point out that there are areas of our moon blocked from view just as areas of the earth are blocked from view.

I just want to point out that I am not going to take seriously the word of someone that doesn't know the difference between "astronomical" and "astrological".

• Like 3