Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Cincinnati Zoo kills gorilla

Anomalocaris

A zoo shot and killed a 17-year-old gorilla that grabbed and dragged a four-year-old boy who fell into the gorilla exhibit moat on Saturday afternoon, the Cincinnati Zoo's director said.

See more

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
Merged duplicate threads /edit title
  • Like 2

It's a no win situation. :(

• Like 7

Itd be better if....there were a fast acting tranquilliser dart to put the gorilla to sleep...but then again, those of us with kids would probably pull that trigger if that were us!

• Like 4

I don't see the zoo had much choice in the matter. Dart an animal  he is going react to the pain before the tranquilliser can take affect, putting the child in grave danger.  I am glad the child was saved.  No matter how well you watch a child they can slip away on you really quick. 

• Like 5

the gorilla was not endangering the child.  reminds me of the other case where the alpha stood guard over the boy, until rescue could get him.  if the gorilla wanted to hurt the boy ten minutes is a long time to wait.

• Like 6

'RIP Harambe': Fury at parents of boy who was heard ASKING to play in endangered gorilla's pen before crawling in - 'forcing' zoo to shoot silverback dead despite claims it was 'protecting' the child

Cincinnati Zoo shot and killed the 17-year-old Harambe after the boy fell into a moat inside gorilla exhibit on Saturday

Authorities said boy crawled through railing and fell about 10ft, and spent more than 10 minutes in the enclosure

Witness heard boy saying he wanted to get in the water, but his mother, who was taking care of several children, told him 'no'

Boy was taken to hospital with serious but 'non-life threatening' injuries

More than a thousand have joined Facebook group 'Justice for Harambe'

Others blamed parents for not looking after their son and called it 'murder'

Western lowland gorillas are deemed critically endangered by WWF

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3615099/Outrage-directed-parents-Harambe-gorilla-s-senseless-death-four-year-old-son-fell-enclosure-led-zoo-officials-fatally-shoot-animal.html#ixzz4A4lHX6AC

Stupid parents.

Stupid compound designer.

Congratulations to all involved, except the Gorilla.

Edited by toast
  • Like 2

If the gorilla wanted to kill the kid, that kid would be dead.

• Like 7

parents should be charged with child endangerment. imo. if they paid enough attention, kid would not crawl into gorilla's cage, and gorilla would be alive. 

• Like 5

When I did a search on Gorilla, It kept giving me ufo topics. I think my laptop is drunk.:lol:

• Like 2

The gorilla didn't do any real harm. Just drug the kid through the water away from the crowd. I don't think it intended to hurt the kid.

But I'm sure that zoo officials thought that if the gorilla did do harm, they would get blame for not making a swift decision.

Still though, I hope the parents get charged for child negligence.

• Like 2

Gorillas preferred food is veg based...... had that been a Lion enclosure I could understand the killing... heck if that had been one of my boys at same age....Id have been IN  that enclosure.. getting my boy back....or trying to

• Like 2

Yet another ape must die due to human negligence. :no:

• Like 2

No one really wins the blame game here.  I don't know what the enclosures are like at the zoo, or how exactly this kid managed to get through, but I would think that it would have to take more than the blink of an eye to do it. But, obviously it was possible, and we have no way of knowing what a very large, unpredictable animal might or might not have done in this situation. That boy (or anyone else) should have never been able to make it into the enclosure to begin with.  Sad that he got through without no one (siblings, parents, any of the so many bystanders) noticing until it was too late to stop him.

• Like 4

Not only could a gorilla be unpredictable, but they are unbelievably strong! A gorilla could kill an average 4 year old just with rough handling, completely unintentionally. Or if feeling his territory was invaded...who knows what could happen. What amazes me is the vitriol towards the parents...since when did it become okay to revere the life of an animal and not a human child? If anything there should be regret that this action was necessary and questions about the safety of the enclosure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skliss said:

Not only could a gorilla be unpredictable, but they are unbelievably strong! A gorilla could kill an average 4 year old just with rough handling, completely unintentionally. Or if feeling his territory was invaded...who knows what could happen. What amazes me is the vitriol towards the parents...since when did it become okay to revere the life of an animal and not a human child? If anything there should be regret that this action was necessary and questions about the safety of the enclosure.

I think the issue here is that it isn't EASY to go into animal enclosures, you have to be seriously neglectful in order to allow your kid to just "fall in". Watch your damn kids, that's the issue. It wasn't as if the Gorilla escaped, charged the boy and was going to kill him. There are safety measures in place for a reason, and the parents didn't heed them. An innocent creature died because of the stupidity of the parents. 

• Like 7

You have no idea if they heeded safety measures or not...were you there?! Are you a parent? Do you have any idea how quickly a kid can slip out of your grasp and crawl into a space you can't reach them in? The article said the mother was handling several other children as well as this one. Kid's are completely unpredictable.

It's a shame this set of circumstances resulted in the death of an animal but the life of a child is more important imo.  I think a review of the enclosures at this particular zoo are in order.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, skliss said:

You have no idea if they heeded safety measures or not...were you there?! Are you a parent? Do you have any idea how quickly a kid can slip out of your grasp and crawl into a space you can't reach them in? The article said the mother was handling several other children as well as this one. Kid's are completely unpredictable.

It's a shame this set of circumstances resulted in the death of an animal but the life of a child is more important imo.  I think a review of the enclosures at this particular zoo are in order.

I understand that kids are hard to handle but I have also been to several Zoos and I know that it's not super easy to get inside the enclosure. This may be unpopular but I also don't think a human life is any more valuable or worthwhile than that of an animal, I just don't. To think that we are worth more because we have a higher consciousness is incredibly vain. It's just how I feel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rinna said:

This may be unpopular but I also don't think a human life is any more valuable or worthwhile than that of an animal, I just don't. 

Not only should this view be unpopular, but it's dangerous. If you truly feel this way, maybe you should feed yourself to a pig instead of the other way round. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Professor Buzzkill said:

Not only should this view be unpopular, but it's dangerous. If you truly feel this way, maybe you should feed yourself to a pig instead of the other way round. 

I understand how it could be a slippery slope, but i'm entitled to my opinion. Thank you for the suggestion, but I will have to pass. 

The faulty infrastructure that allowed a small child to get in, is to blame. How hard is it to stop that ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skliss said:

Only take in as many kids as you can handle. Obviously she exceeded her limit. I think it's partly the zoo's fault and partly the mothers. Harambe was taken in the prime of his life though through no fault of his own....

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AustinHinton said:

Yet another ape must die due to human negligence. :no:

One ape dead so another ape may live.

• Like 4