Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

12 ways to destroy the solar system

Anomalocaris

We humans are doing a bang-up job of messing up our home planet. But who’s to say we can’t go on to screw things up elsewhere? Here, not listed in any particular order, are 12 unintentional ways we could do some serious damage to our Solar System, too.

Wild speculation ahead...

See more

Edited by Anomalocaris
  • Like 1

extremely wild speculation

good for mad scientists, i guess.

• Like 2

yes, very wild..................sorry, extremely wild.

I am not even going to quote anything from the article, so will leave it were it belongs,,,,under science fiction.

Solar system goes missing...scientists baffled!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Leonardo said:

Solar system goes missing...scientists baffled!

could bigfoot be to blame?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, seaturtlehorsesnake said:

could bigfoot be to blame?

Why else would he be hiding ?

Btw did you ever find your missing bigfoot ?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

Why else would he be hiding ?

Btw did you ever find your missing bigfoot ?

no, the poor big guy is probably out there right now, alone and afraid. the loneliness of the long distance bigfoot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We should start to use the Sun as garbage dump for the world. Let's see how it goes for start :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

We should start to use the Sun as garbage dump for the world. Let's see how it goes for start :D

An extremely bad idea.

You can't simply throw things into the Sun, orbital mechanics mean that you have to reduce the velocity of the rubbish by an amount equal to the orbital velocity of the Earth, which is 30 km/s. That takes as much energy as speeding it up by 30km/s and that is a lot of energy.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

An extremely bad idea.

You can't simply throw things into the Sun, orbital mechanics mean that you have to reduce the velocity of the rubbish by an amount equal to the orbital velocity of the Earth, which is 30 km/s. That takes as much energy as speeding it up by 30km/s and that is a lot of energy.

Related link would be much appreciated if you can share. I would like to read about it. The idea about throwing rubbish onto the Sun got on my mind since i read about new probe, Probe Plus which should bring our instruments close to the Sun ( launch planned for 2018. )

[edit]

Well i have just read one article ( LINK ) - cost of sending stuff into orbit is too high, not to say how high it would be for all of the worlds garbage. Mechanics are the least of problem eheh

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot

2 hours ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

cost of sending stuff into orbit is too high

Sorry but I thought that was blinding obvious it didn't need to be mentioned. 

However getting into orbit won't always be this expensive. Companies like SpaceX are working hard to greatly reduce the price. Even then, for the reasons I've already given, it will still not be a practical solution. 

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

8 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

However getting into orbit won't always be this expensive. Companies like SpaceX are working hard to greatly reduce the price. Even then, for the reasons I've already given, it will still not be a practical solution. 

Why not just electromagnetically launch stuff into orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-rocket_spacelaunch#Projectile_launchers

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-11/nasa-engineers-propose-combining-rail-gun-and-scramjet-fire-spacecraft-orbit

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Why not just electromagnetically launch stuff into orbit.

Getting into orbit is NOT the problem. How you get stuff into orbit does not change the fact that you simply can't shoot stuff into the Sun, which was Sir Smoke aLot's suggestion.

Well, however we can potentially mess it up, let's hope future generations think about the projects they undertake and the negative effects, should something go horribly wrong.